Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

58 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Good try but you just need to head about half a mile up the road.

Ardbeg for me. Also a top class distillery tour.

Touch and go for me. To be honest, if you transported that whole strip of south Islay coast to south Yorkshire I'd be well happy, all three distilleries are great. Like you, I've distillery-toured that area (thanks to advice from folk on here), and think they're the most interesting malts around.

54 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Question.  Do you guys take water in a malt?  I do.  And get slagged for it sometimes.  But I like to add a bit.  Is that wrang??

I do. In fact I think it's really important. It does open up the taste.

Edited by DonnyTJS

16 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Touch and go for me. To be honest, if you transported that whole strip of south Islay coast to south Yorkshire I'd be well happy, all three distilleries are great. Like you, I've distillery-toured that area (thanks to advice from folk on here), and think they're the most interesting malts around.

I do. In fact I think it's really important. It does open up the taste.

Cheers Donny.  I think its amusing when some folk drinking vodka, gin etc get upset when I add water to a malt whisky!!

To be honest I don't think there is thing as a bad whisky.  But not a fan of the Irish stuff.  Tried it and not impressed.  Anyway, had a few in Inverkeithing there and Highland Park won my acclaim.  So bought a bottle to get rid of my man flu.  Stand on.

Used to dislike it a lot when younger - of course it was the hell fire that is blended whisky, the only ones I had tried - but was given a gift a couple of years back for my 30th of Bunnahabhain and loved it. Tried the Jura Diurachs and was extremely nice too. 

Did the Talisker tour and had a few drams - out of the three, probably the worst, but still quite enjoyable.

Looking to try a few more over the next few weeks. A' Bhunadh sounds rather interesting. 

Used to dislike it a lot when younger - of course it was the hell fire that is blended whisky, the only ones I had tried - but was given a gift a couple of years back for my 30th of Bunnahabhain and loved it. Tried the Jura Diurachs and was extremely nice too. 

Did the Talisker tour and had a few drams - out of the three, probably the worst, but still quite enjoyable.

Looking to try a few more over the next few weeks. A' Bhunadh sounds rather interesting. 

P.S Regards Irish and Scottish whisky, what is the difference? I am a complete novice in whisky, but might try a good Irish one to see if I can, I doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

P.S Regards Irish and Scottish whisky, what is the difference? I am a complete novice in whisky, but might try a good Irish one to see if I can, I doubt it. 

Oors is guid. Theirs is pish.

The A'bunadh Batch 45 was a stunning whisky one of the best I've ever tasted.

Currently working my way through a case of Glen Grant Aged 10 years which is just delicious.

The Isle of Arran Amarone cask finish was amazing, it smelt like wine when you uncorked it.

However I'm with DonnyTJS and Scoobydoo Islay malts are great. Love an Ardbeg 10, just a big boom. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Oors is guid. Theirs is pish.

Theirs is generally distilled thrice whereas scottish whisky is distilled twice.

And they'll try to sell you a single malt that wouldn't be legally considered a single malt in scotland. They use both raw and malted barley for their 'pot stilled' single malts whereas scottish whisky can only use malted. Scottish whisky is more interesting in general but there are some nice irish whiskies around these days. 

2 hours ago, thewelk said:

Theirs is generally distilled thrice whereas scottish whisky is distilled twice.

Which makes their blends a lot smoother. If someone's on a tight budget, or someone just doesn't think they like whisky having tried Bells or Teachers, I tell 'em to try a Bushmills or a Jamesons.

11 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Which makes their blends a lot smoother. If someone's on a tight budget, or someone just doesn't think they like whisky having tried Bells or Teachers, I tell 'em to try a Bushmills or a Jamesons.

That's true, except that I'd put Jameson and Bushmills in a league above Bells! Jameson is my goto whisky in the pub when the pints get too much. Never too expensive, always quite nice but not nice enough to feel like you're wasting money on a good malt when your taste buds have already been obliterated by some fancy hipster IPA's.

7 minutes ago, The Laud said:

90% of the whisky companies came out in favour of a no vote in the referendum.Can anyone give a list of them please.

Im sure grouse and glenmorangie are yoon whiskys.I would hate to think they were making money off me.

didnt David Frost the chief of the whisky association cite the risk of losing Europe membership as the big reason?

hes now an adviser to boris Johnson. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/leaving-the-eu-could-put-scotch-whisky-exports-on-the-rocks

Mr Frost, who was formally Britain’s ambassador to Denmark, warned that even a “temporary interruption” of EU membership would be damaging to the industry.

He pointed out the Scotch whisky brand is protected in EU law, it can be exported tariff-free across the European single market and the industry benefits from the EU’s “clout” in trade negotiations.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10823282/Scotch-whisky-industry-warns-about-independence-damage.html

16 hours ago, macy37 said:

McCallan for me but mainly because I get a lot of freebies off my brother in law who is a prized grower for them. I even managed to get a trip to jerez with him through them which was, ahem, good fun!

One of my mate get's staff discount through their work and gets me Macallan Gold, Highland Park 12 year and Laphroaig all for £16 a bottle.

Must admit, it's either Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Macallan or Highland Park... All depends on the time of year, and the mood I am in.

I've got a few mid-range £100-150 bottles, but started to try and collect some rarer/out of production bottles.

Bowmore Devils Cask 1,2 and 3.
Laphroaig 18
Macallan Ruby, and the Black and Red Rare Casks
Highland Park Valhalla Collection - Loki, Thor, Odin and Freya

I'm an Ardbeg Committee Member, and part of the Highland Park Inner Circle.  I've found myself trawling Whisky Auction sites for some bargains too.

Finished off at the weekend the last 1/4 of a Lagavulin 8 year old, and a Bowmore 9 year old.  Two absolutely phenomenal drams.