Glenlivet and best whisky - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

Aye Glenmorangie is great too.  My pal works in Amazon returns and they had £500 bottle of whisky returned because the label is damaged.  I cant imagine drinking a bottle worth that. I mind about 10 years ago I was down at RAF Cranwell for a meeting through college.  I got a taxi in to town for a pint and the pub i went to had the best selection of whisky I have ever seen.  Turns out Prnce Andrew sometimes went there and you were talking about.  Well I am sure it was about £100 a double but obviously he didnt have money to pay!!  My charms with the barmaid about being the King of Armadale didnt work sadly.  And I dont think putting it on expenses would have pleased my boss.

I must admit Ormond I like a Jura.  When I was still married My wife and I got a bottle of Jura on a staurday night and it was a great one.  Laphroig though reminds me of Parklife.  An aquired taste.  Once the bitter taste goes away you actually start to like it.....

6 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Laphroig though reminds me of Parklife.  An aquired taste.  Once the bitter taste goes away you actually start to like it.....

Poor Parkie. Even when he's behaving, he's getting shoe horned in. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Ahyhoo, Aberlour a'Bunadh is one of my favourites.

Cask strength, so needs a wee dash of water.   A good rich flavour for this time of year.

My ex-Wife's Uncle used to bottle there. Not sure if he still does.

4 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Lagavulin is the right answer so might as well end the thread.

Malts are cheaper in Japan than UK incidentally. It's daft.

Lagavulin is a great shout. Dalwhinnie's another I enjoy, followed by a bunnahabhain

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

Jura. Beats them all hands down. I like the smoothness. I'm not a fan of fire in a whisky like a Talisker.

Have to agree, took me by surprise, got a the bottle miniature set last xmas, instantly thought i wouldnt like it, thought peaty west coast whisky until i used it for cooking and took a wee sip,,changed my life ha,, has to be my favourite now followed by macallan ,, 

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Have to agree, took me by surprise, got a the bottle miniature set last xmas, instantly thought i wouldnt like it, thought peaty west coast whisky until i used it for cooking and took a wee sip,,changed my life ha,, has to be my favourite now followed by macallan ,, 

You use a single malt in cooking?

26 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I did yea, i was attempting whisky sauce for rob roy chicken,, does it matter if its a single malt? The recipe never said, i am a crap coock but the sauce came out ok 

Nowt wrong with it, if that's your bag - in fact I admire the sang-froid - it just seems a bit of a waste, like using quails' eggs in your fry-up, or Margot Robbie turning up on your doorstep saying she'll do anything your heart desires and having her tarmac the drive.

5 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Nowt wrong with it, if that's your bag - in fact I admire the sang-froid - it just seems a bit of a waste, like using quails' eggs in your fry-up, or Margot Robbie turning up on your doorstep saying she'll do anything your heart desires and having her tarmac the drive.

Hahaha well thats one way to put it,,,,it was just because it was a pack of miniatures that i used it,, and it had more than likely sat a while in my coboard

11 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Lagavulin is the right answer so might as well end the thread.

Malts are cheaper in Japan than UK incidentally. It's daft.

Good try but you just need to head about half a mile up the road.

Ardbeg for me. Also a top class distillery tour.

3 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Question.  Do you guys take water in a malt?  I do.  And get slagged for it sometimes.  But I like to add a bit.  Is that wrang??

I don't, but I've been on a lot of distillery tours & they all tend to say that they taste best with a small drop or two of local spring water.

Aye, that's what I pefer and it's spring water I usually add.  From the garden well and I'm no kidding!  Had the council round to test it a few few weeks ago and it is fine.  Should start selling it!  Like Peckham Spring.  Going to Inverkeithing later and will have a few malts there before our usual humping of sheepies later on lol.  The drams will ensure a good day win or lose.