Strachan remains - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan remains

clarky1606

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Strachan started out well and it has all seemed to go to pieces since the victory at home to Ireland. Having started that campaign with a high-tempo and expansive game, he seemed to start trying to play in a very contained and measured, stand-offish way that totally highlighted our weaknesses and limitations. 

The selection and approach on Friday night was back to what I would want and expect. Both from a starting lineup and from the approach to the game. Granted we lost cheap goals and missed chances but that's the difference in quality of the players - not the manager if you ask me. It was a world apart in comparison the Lithuania and Slovakia games just a month earlier. 

I probably thought it was time for him to go as well but I don't doubt that he has the belief that we can still get 2nd in the group. It'll take a miraculous run of results but he'll need to go back to the way he started his tenure and hope that it all clicks in to place. He knows that support for him has never been lower so I have a bit of admiration that he has the balls to risk even more brutal criticism from all quarters in an attempt to put things right. At the end of the day - the guy wants us to win and succeed. Whether he can make that happen is a different matter. 

We have Slovenia at home next. If he comes out on the Monday morning press conference before that and says that it's not must-win then i think someone will chuck him in the Clyde. It's time for him to change his tune, tactics and selections to adapt to the reality of the environment. Win that one and it's England next at home... 

we won't beat Slovenia at home with him in charge

they're big, physical and organized just as Lithuania were and his tactics against them were to hit long balls

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

How can they justify it. What happens if we lose the next game?

Couldn't believe McGhee comments either. "We'll just keep doing what were doing until they take away the keys" Surely he doesn't think that's what this situation calls for. 

if we lose the next game he goes. Nobody thinks we'll qualify anyway, so maybe let's see how that one games goes. Still time for a new guy to bed in. Big call from Regan, if Strachan fails he needs to go too.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

for what reason, are you still behind him

I seen enough in the England game to see we are not that far away and I can't see who else we have got out there . I believe we will beat Slovenia and that could be our turning point.  

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

if we lose the next game he goes. Nobody thinks we'll qualify anyway, so maybe let's see how that one games goes. Still time for a new guy to bed in. Big call from Regan, if Strachan fails he needs to go too.

We will certainly lose the next game & he won't be sacked as there will be no point bringing in someone new for a failed campaign. There's obviously no money( that happens when you're team doesn't qualify).

This has massively failed campaign written all over it-how anyone can think it will all just suddenly flip all around in a few months time must be well mephedroned/glued.

Looking forward to the six nations rugby with realistic optimism. At least the Scottish rugby team aren't an absolute national embarrassment.

SRU>SFA.

14 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

We will certainly lose the next game & he won't be sacked as there will be no point bringing in someone new for a failed campaign. There's obviously no money( that happens when you're team doesn't qualify).

This has massively failed campaign written all over it-how anyone can think it will all just suddenly flip all around in a few months time must be well mephedroned/glued.

Looking forward to the six nations rugby with realistic optimism. At least the Scottish rugby team aren't an absolute national embarrassment.

SRU>SFA.

International rugby is an absolute joke with this whole residency ruling thing, of which we are as bad as most. How any national pride can be attached to this sport anymore is beyond me.

33 minutes ago, Doric said:

I seen enough in the England game to see we are not that far away and I can't see who else we have got out there . I believe we will beat Slovenia and that could be our turning point.  

If you've seen anything in this campaign to make you think we can beat Slovenia then that's concerning.

Slovenia match could be a record low for a home qualifier attendance and no wonder. 

2 minutes ago, MSP said:

Guess you're selling your flights for Lithuania and Slovenia then!???

No laughing matter, Ive already said to a few people tonight that I will be at both away games, but I wont be back at Hampden, these useless cnts are killing our game, Im not willing to fund them.

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

No laughing matter, Ive already said to a few people tonight that I will be at both away games, but I wont be back at Hampden, these useless cnts are killing our game, Im not willing to fund them.

Going to away games, boycotting home games.........please explain in no more than 500 words! ?

4 minutes ago, MSP said:

Going to away games, boycotting home games.........please explain in no more than 500 words! ?

Strachan is an abject failure, I will not fund him, nor the SFA continuing to ruin our game.

Theres 18, thats all I need.

Some believe in absolute loyalty, I certainly dont, Ive made that perfectly clear. Get rid of Strachan, and others, and improve, or retain and die.

9 hours ago, flicktokick said:

Breaking News. Strachan was kept on after promising not to let the defence do the Mannequin Challenge during a game again.

Breaking news;

Strachan was kept on after the SFA decided they couldn't afford to sack him and his team, therefore 'unanimous' backing was decided due to budget constraints.

End of.

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Breaking news;

Strachan was kept on after the SFA decided they couldn't afford to sack him and his team, therefore 'unanimous' backing was decided due to budget constraints.

End of.

THIS :ok: "we aint going to qualify anyway so why throw away additional money paying off Strachan and bringing a new manager in"

Thats the xmas night out paid for!

The SFA have shat it big time here. To not only back Strachan but his staff as well (Mark McGhee should be nowhere near the international setup) is a slap in the face to all the fans. In my opinion they had three options:

• Sack him.
  • Publicly declare the group a write-off and appoint someone for the longer term, with the aim of trying new formations and younger/fringe players.
  • Live in false hope, appoint someone on an interim basis (McLeish for example) with the job of trying to salvage something from the group, however unlikely and unrealistic that is - beat Slovenia we're a point behind them etc

By allowing him to see out the campaign (and I assume his contract ends at the end of this campaign) keeps us in the same position we are in just now; any manager that isn't employed next October/November will either be retired or out of a job because they've not done a good enough job at club level in the past couple of years. 

I can't understand how the meeting could have lasted five hours; it is quite clear that the pay-off is the reason he's still in a job. Hopefully someone has instructed him to do the following for the remainder of the campaign:

• Build the team around Tierney, Robertson and Burke. Tierney could play left of a back three, or if we went 4-4-2/4-5-1, Tierney and Robertson could alternate between LB and LM.
  • Select a squad based on those playing at the highest possible level, preferably playing on a weekly basis.
  • If he's sticking with 4-2-3-1, the midfield two need to be solid, and the central attacking midfielder is either an attacking midfielder or a second striker; too often the lone striker has no support.

He should have gone after failing to get us to the Euros. I've lost all hope but come March I'll no doubt attend the Slovenia match. This is heartbreaking