One up front the whole game - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

One up front the whole game

robbo cop

I know it is too late now, but why when we were 1_0 and 2_0 down did Strachan not take on another striker (Martin or Fletcher). Surely there was nothing to lose by that time. Instead we get 2 midfield changes which did nothing to change the game. Also if we have one player who could have troubled England defence it was Burke but not sited. Even when we are playing at home it is one striker.

18 hours ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Why no take a chance and throw burke up front he may be a young lad who plays wide but his power and pace would have caused havoc.

The coach at Liepzig is talking about him in the No 10 role. The minute Forrest ran away from Cahill and was booked  a wee bell should have went off in our esteemed managers heid and he should have unchained Ollie Burke... but no he put a sitting midfielder on.  

9 minutes ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Exactly and all strachan should have said to ollie was just keep running at cahill as you will take him for power and pace.The manager needed to change things round to get a result but didnt.

This. Please tell me why a nation of our size can afford to leave our record transfer fee great white hope on the bench. Any other small nation would be building the team around this boy - with the tactics being the same as Wales, get the ball to Bale/Burke. Not saying he is at that level, but Wales played Bale from a young age. So do most other countries when they have a genuine prospect. Why are we so different ?

I've only just managed to bring myself to watch the highlights! I think we competed well between both boxes but our complete lack of quality in both the striking and centre back positions is a lethal combination ?

Point is, I'm not sure adding a second striker would have helped but rather might well have left us even more vulnerable.

Same as you Slasher, just watched highlights for the first time ( switched off after third goal )

Apart from not squaring the ball  to  Snodgrass I thought Griffiths did O.K. for the hour I saw . He is certainly a lot more mobile than Martin . Hanley was outrageously bad , couldn't time a header . Morrison totally anonymous and Forrest out of his depth . Darren Fletcher chasing shadows .  Apart from that  we were fine .