Why no friendly? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why no friendly?

g@un

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yes you're correct because of not doing what was bracketed and what is the #1 purpose of friendlies for all other international sides (playing new players and trying new systems) 

Correct. Friendlies where we could've tried out different centre half combinations, experimented with 3 at the back, tried to fix our porous midfield... 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Correct. Friendlies where we could've tried out different centre half combinations, experimented with 3 at the back, tried to fix our porous midfield... 

Exactly.

Those friendlies v Italy and France where zero positives were gained and we moved backwards were ridiculous also. Clearly friendlies against nations similar to ourselves and countries we would be competing with for second spot in the upcoming qualifiers should have been the chosen opponents; Latvia, Israel, Macedonia, Armenia etc etc...

Edited by ProudScot

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Exactly.

Those friendlies v Italy and France where zero positives were gained and we moved backwards were ridiculous also. Clearly friendlies against nations similar to ourselves and countries we would be competing with for second spot in the upcoming qualifiers should have been the chosen opponents; Latvia, Israel, Macedonia, Armenia etc etc...

But money talks. It's a money making busines now, not a football association 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Would not have paid big fees to France and Italy to get those fixtures? 

Off course we wouldn't have. We were away so they paid us. France certainly would have paid us, Italy maybe not as it was a neutral venue. 

The Maltese trip in May was booked as our pre euros training camp so they had to make use of it so they probably came to an agreement with the Iti's

Edited by DoonTheSlope

22 hours ago, Parklife said:

20 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Exactly.

Both spot on.

When things are going well, I'm all for continuity in friendlies and don't advocate change for change sake just because it's friendly. However, when things are going as phukin disastrously as they have been in the last couple of years, then when else can you try new things. Sheer idiocy!

As for the friendlies against France and Italy, I'd also add the ones against Denmark and The Czech Rep as they were just as bad. How we won either of those matches is absolutely beyond me.

Don't understand it at all.

I like Strachan, he's a smart guy and he does really care about Scotland succeeding.. but while his squads are usually pretty good, his starting 11s have become questionable and to pass up the chance to get the players together to play, especially at a point where we could use some tinkering and looking at options is well.. it seems negligent.

We didn't have a friendly around the Malta game either. So that's 2 games we've passed up.

54 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

I look forward to this League of Nations when we will neither be able to dictate who we play in 'friendlies' or if we even play at all. Talking of which, the draw for that must have some date in mind?

Don't believe there is a draw. It's based on the coefficient I'm sure. Currently we are mostly likely to be in League C drawn in one of the 3 groups of 4 or one group of 3 along with all the teams ranked 25th-39th in Europe coefficient. 

21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel  

21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania  
  23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro  
  23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland  
  23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia  
  23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland  
  23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria  
  23px-Flag_of_Armenia.svg.png Armenia  
  23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia  
  23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania

23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece.

21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway.

23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia.

21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland.

23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Wales

Were relegation candidates already

International fixture dates are usually about a week long. There are spaces for two internationals in each date.

Strachan has NEVER played an away friendly in the same week that we’ve had a competitive game. For example:

·         November 2016 competitive game  V England. No friendly.

·         October 2016 doesn’t count as two competitive games V Slovakia and Lithuania.

·         September 2016 competitive game V Malta. No friendly.

·         End May 2016 no competitive games. Away friendlies V Italy & France.

·         March 2016 no competitive games. Friendlies V Denmark & Czech Republic.

If you look through the historic fixtures, the same pattern was repeated in 2015, 2014 and 2013, right back to his first game in charge against Estonia.

He played a home friendly against Northern Ireland four days before a competitive game against Gibraltar in March 2015 and did the same against Qatar 8 days before a trip to Ireland, but has never done an away friendly in the same week as a competitive match.

The reason I bring this up??

We  have competitive games in each period of international fixtures dates next year: Slovenia in March & England in June. Which means that while we might slip in a home friendly before one of those games, it's unlikely the TA will be going abroad again until we play in Lithuania in September.  

2 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Apparently Luxembourg want one against us. They see us as the type of team they should be playing as they could beat us and climb up the rankings. I admire their thinking and after all Fola Esch beat Aberdeen this season.

With the current manager and set up I'd fancy at best a draw away from home at the moment. 

That is depressing but where we are at :-( 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:48 PM, scot scotland scottish said:

I look forward to this League of Nations when we will neither be able to dictate who we play in 'friendlies' or if we even play at all. Talking of which, the draw for that must have some date in mind?

think the draw for the nations league is based on the rankings after the World Cup 2018 finals, sure i read that somewhere

On 16/11/2016 at 1:59 PM, Mazziessc said:

Don't believe there is a draw. It's based on the coefficient I'm sure. Currently we are mostly likely to be in League C drawn in one of the 3 groups of 4 or one group of 3 along with all the teams ranked 25th-39th in Europe coefficient. 

21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel  

21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania  
  23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro  
  23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland  
  23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia  
  23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland  
  23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria  
  23px-Flag_of_Armenia.svg.png Armenia  
  23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png Estonia  
  23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania

23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece.

21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway.

23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia.

21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland.

23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Wales

Were relegation candidates already

There is a draw.

"The draw will include the necessary conditions to guarantee the sporting fairness and viability of the competition"