• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/01/2017 at 8:11 PM, vanderark14 said:

How nice for the people of Leipzig 

??

On 08/01/2017 at 8:11 PM, Ormond said:

The thought of 8000 Huns on their travels fills me with embarrassment. ;)

??

21 hours ago, thewelk said:

And about 16000 teeth.

Has Oliver Burke been identified as a good guy or a tim? 

??

Im sure 10 German bombers will go down a treat

• 2 weeks later...

Derek Rae has retweeted some stuff about Burke from the Liepzig Director of Football that was in Kicker. It would be good to see the full translation but in summary. 

They are happy with his potential and clearly see him as a big player for them in the future *but* they say that he's basically not been coached up until now on what to do when they don't have the ball.  As Liepzig play a high pressing game, that's pretty key and they're working on that with him.  That's the reas on why at this point he's being used as an impact sub to run at tired defenders.

Overall pretty positive for the long term.  If they can work on his all round game then we could have a really good one there.  

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Derek Rae has retweeted some stuff about Burke from the Liepzig Director of Football that was in Kicker. It would be good to see the full translation but in summary. 

They are happy with his potential and clearly see him as a big player for them in the future *but* they say that he's basically not been coached up until now on what to do when they don't have the ball.  As Liepzig play a high pressing game, that's pretty key and they're working on that with him.  That's the reas on why at this point he's being used as an impact sub to run at tired defenders.

Overall pretty positive for the long term.  If they can work on his all round game then we could have a really good one there.  

Said also that that they knocked back approaches from England to take him on loan, and that his whole family are moving out to the area to support him.

27 minutes ago, aaid said:

Was that not pretty much what Strachan said was his reason for keeping him out? ...and got blasted for it.

He probably did get some off the ball coaching at school that consisted of "get intae thum" and "chase the baw oli for fuwk sake".

2 minutes ago, thewelk said:

Was that not pretty much what Strachan said was his reason for keeping him out? ...and got blasted for it.

He probably did get some off the ball coaching at school that consisted of "get intae thum" and "chase the baw oli for fuwk sake".

Given that he went to school in Melton Mowbray I doubt it very much. It doesn't say much for Nottingam Forest though.

17 minutes ago, thewelk said:

Nope, it wasn't. Strachan said he wanted to play experienced players. 

You also have to factor in that Leipzig are performing well, so clearly are doing the right thing for their side. Where as Strachan's Scotland are performing totally pish and got humped 3-0 in the game Strachan dropped Burke from the squad for. 

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

I love the idea that Oli Burke would have turned that game around.. "if only he'd played, we'd have won" kinda thing. :D

It's more symbolic of Strachan's mis management.

Strange statement, picking a weakened side and then afterwards claiming we did well and were unlucky.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

It's more symbolic of Strachan's mis management.

Strange statement, picking a weakened side and then afterwards claiming we did well and were unlucky.

A weakened side? There were only 3 changes.

Tierney in for Robertson. Nothing in it really.
McArthur for Burke. Wanted to pack the midfield to try and limit them cos we were away. Snodgrass and Ritchie were in good club form and Burke was barely playing after his move.
Fletcher for Martin. Fletch was in better form at the time as I recall.

We can probably all agree that we needed more pace on wings, and we'd all liked to have seen Burke given the chance to just run at people. But it's hard to argue that we weakened the side by not throwing in an unknown quantity who did alright in the English championship for half a season. We all want Burke to do well and be a top player for us, but he's a very inexperienced player who hasn't played much football. 8 minutes again Bayern Munich is great for the lad, but as the Liepzig guys have said, he's got a lot of learning still to do. We need to keep our expectation in check a little bit.

Personally, I sighed at the starting line up when it was announced, but I get why he went with what he did. And it's really easy to just sit here now going "aye, 3-0, doesn't know what he's doing" but despite them being better than us we did actually make enough chances to win the game.. and Fletch really was fouled in the build up to their first and i wont ever understand how it wasn't given. I think some thought Slovakia weren't as good as they are and so are more aggrieved than they really have a right to be that we lost. But the fact remains that it's tight group, we're not out of it and we've got players available for the upcoming games who didn't exist for the last qualifiers (Morrison, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Brown, Philips, Fraser). My belief we could qualify took a knock, that's for sure, but my hope hasn't been extinguished yet.

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

McArthur for Burke. Wanted to pack the midfield to try and limit them cos we were away. Snodgrass and Ritchie were in good club form and Burke was barely playing after his move.

We can probably all agree that we needed more pace on wings, and we'd all liked to have seen Burke given the chance to just run at people. But it's hard to argue that we weakened the side by not throwing in an unknown quantity who did alright in the English championship for half a season. We all want Burke to do well and be a top player for us, but he's a very inexperienced player who hasn't played much football. 8 minutes again Bayern Munich is great for the lad, but as the Liepzig guys have said, he's got a lot of learning still to do. We need to keep our expectation in check a little bit.

Personally, I sighed at the starting line up when it was announced, but I get why he went with what he did. And it's really easy to just sit here now going "aye, 3-0, doesn't know what he's doing" but despite them being better than us we did actually make enough chances to win the game.. and Fletch really was fouled in the build up to their first and i wont ever understand how it wasn't given. I think some thought Slovakia weren't as good as they are and so are more aggrieved than they really have a right to be that we lost. But the fact remains that it's tight group, we're not out of it and we've got players available for the upcoming games who didn't exist for the last qualifiers (Morrison, Mulgrew, Armstrong, Brown, Philips, Fraser). My belief we could qualify took a knock, that's for sure, but my hope hasn't been extinguished yet.

I bet you clapped and cheered in Faro. 

3 hours ago, andyD said:

I don't understand this thinking at all. Strachan and the management team totally ####ed up the selection. Anyone watching the game could see after 5 minutes that Slovakia were dreadful at the back and slower than a week in the jail. So we played a team with absolutely no pace to try and do what exactly? 

That is what Strachan is at fault for. His constant baffling squad and team selections and leaving Burke out of the team and squad that night totally summed him up for. Clueless 

And I blame Strachan and Mghee for not watching Slovakia properly and identifying that they were slow at the back. 

Edited by GordyA88

8 hours ago, thewelk said:

Strachan's up wasn't in not playing Burke, it was in dropping him out of the squad altogether. No need to do that - just let him sit on the bench with the rest of the squad. Terrible man management imo.

2 hours ago, GordyA88 said:

I don't understand this thinking at all. Strachan and the management team totally ####ed up the selection. Anyone watching the game could see after 5 minutes that Slovakia were dreadful at the back and slower than a week in the jail. So we played a team with absolutely no pace to try and do what exactly? 

That is what Strachan is at fault for. His constant baffling squad and team selections and leaving Burke out of the team and squad that night totally summed him up for. Clueless 

And I blame Strachan and Mghee for not watching Slovakia properly and identifying that they were slow at the back. 

The other issue with Strachan and McGhee for Slovakia was ingnoring that exact advice which was given to them by Steven Pressley who had watched their game on the Saturday. I actually think he was then on Radio Scotland on the Sunday saying exactly that.

10 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

The other issue with Strachan and McGhee for Slovakia was ingnoring that exact advice which was given to them by Steven Pressley who had watched their game on the Saturday. I actually think he was then on Radio Scotland on the Sunday saying exactly that.

Yeah, but it was Elvis. :lol: