Budapest scam - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Budapest scam

crawf

Please take care in Budapest when having a beer.

The old trick of bring drink over to your table as a gift

and when you ask the cost you find it is £300 !

The very iffy place is called The Pub

i got fecked 100 quid for 4 drinks in Krakow few years back

funny thing is i got caught within 30 mins in another bar - this time bouncer gave me directions to cash dispenser and walked with me - at which point i ran off (never drank the drink )

went back the next few nights and super glued the locks of the 1st bar - ar.se--holes

I was there in the summer. Everyday on the main shopping street there's a pub called "the pub" each time I'd walk past 2 sets of 2 women would take a turn about to ask me without fail whether I knew if it was a good pub and if I fancied going on with them too see what it's like

I took a wee seat and observed what was going on at one point and the amount of stupid gullible arseholes who were going in with them was staggering

Fly bastards

15 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I was there in the summer. Everyday on the main shopping street there's a pub called "the pub" each time I'd walk past 2 sets of 2 women would take a turn about to ask me without fail whether I knew if it was a good pub and if I fancied going on with them too see what it's like

I took a wee seat and observed what was going on at one point and the amount of stupid gullible arseholes who were going in with them was staggering

Fly bastards

How often did you go back ?

:P:)

It's certainly a tried and trusted scam, and clearly it's still working. As I read in the guidebooks back over a decade ago, if an attractive woman offers to go with you for a drink, ask yourself why?!!!

It's true people are easily taken advantage of in strange surroundings. I was in a Budapest bar and this English businessman came in shouting he'd been robbed. Victim of the "wallet inspector" scam.  Guy dressed as a policeman witnesses you changing money at a booth and comes over asking to check that the notes aren't fake, flicks through your wad and using slight of hand swaps most of your notes for near worthless Romanian ones!

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's certainly a tried and trusted scam, and clearly it's still working. As I read in the guidebooks back over a decade ago, if an attractive woman offers to go with you for a drink, ask yourself why?!!!

It's true people are easily taken advantage of in strange surroundings. I was in a Budapest bar and this English businessman came in shouting he'd been robbed. Victim of the "wallet inspector" scam.  Guy dressed as a policeman witnesses you changing money at a booth and comes over asking to check that the notes aren't fake, flicks through your wad and using slight of hand swaps most of your notes for near worthless Romanian ones!

I'm an ugly looking bastárd that's why I never fell for it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If anyone ever finds themselves on Nagyemzo Utca then watch out for a blondey heided wifey wearing double denim about 45-50 who just seems to walk back and forward across the road

I stayed closeby here last year and would often cut through here going back to my digs at night and she'd be pacing back and forward. I'm here now and there's a couple of decent boozers on the street so paid a visit and she's still up to old tricks.

**Who the wears double denim nowadays FFS! 

My guess is she's either a Dudley Moore or pickpocket so keep your hands on your valuables 

That "The Pub" joint on Vaci Utca seems to have disappeared though 

One of the best places on the planet along with Dubrovnik and Berlin in my opinion but it does have its dodgies 

Edit: **The Hungarian keeper still wears Jobby catchers so maybe one day they'll realise the Beatles have split up, Elvis is deid and Hibs have won the cup. It's 2017 FFS!

Edited by DoonTheSlope

My god I got caught in this very scam nearly 20 years ago maybe in the same pub.

We walked into this pub and bought a normal price drink and later in the evening got chatting to two 'local' girls.

They suggested round of local drinks which came to a proposed bar bill of £150.

Needless to say we wouldn't be paying that and tried to leave except the door was blocked by two huge bouncers and an aggressive barman no doubt on a cut of the nights takings.

20 minutes later we negotiated a £40 escape route and at 2.00am in the morning were just delighted to be outside.

Looking back we were stupid but its so easy to be taken in.

56 minutes ago, Saltirescot said:

My god I got caught in this very scam nearly 20 years ago maybe in the same pub.

We walked into this pub and bought a normal price drink and later in the evening got chatting to two 'local' girls.

They suggested round of local drinks which came to a proposed bar bill of £150.

Needless to say we wouldn't be paying that and tried to leave except the door was blocked by two huge bouncers and an aggressive barman no doubt on a cut of the nights takings.

20 minutes later we negotiated a £40 escape route and at 2.00am in the morning were just delighted to be outside.

Looking back we were stupid but its so easy to be taken in.

thing is  - in exact same scenario you have ended up having drinks with locals like a normal night out - and been out drinkign with them till 4am

Someone got caught out with that trick in Athens many moons ago when we were over for the Euro 96 qualifier.

Seemingly the word "pub" has more meanings over there than it does here and it involves hookers and champagne

He got caught 3 nights in a row in the same pub too -_-

Happened to me and a mate, never cost us anything as we got past the door and ran, when we were running my mates camera fell out of his pocket and the flash went off and we thought they were shooting at us. Think it's the fastest i've ever ran in my life.