Brown & Snodgrass both declared fit. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brown & Snodgrass both declared fit.

Bzzzz

32 minutes ago, Marky said:

One of Scottish football's great myths.

He is Scotland's Roberto Carlos in that respect. Took a million free kicks on the basis of his mythical free kick ability. He might even have scored one once.....but I couldn't be sure.

he put in a good ball to win us the corner before maloneys goal against ireland (how long ago does that feel now). horrendous at shots on goal though, everyone a mile over the bar 

6 hours ago, Marky said:

One of Scottish football's great myths.

He is Scotland's Roberto Carlos in that respect. Took a million free kicks on the basis of his mythical free kick ability. He might even have scored one once.....but I couldn't be sure.

Ok I should of said he is good at set pieces and puts in a good cross. I remember the Georgia game think Maloney took all the free kicks and corners and didn't beat the first man once. Mulgrew took 1 corner and we nearly scored.

6 hours ago, Marky said:

I'll take your word for that then Parky. I suppose it stands to reason that he must've done something at some stage to develop the reputation as a free kick taker.

Thankfully, as long as Snoddy is on the pitch I wouldn't expect Mulgrew to get near one.

He also scored a couple early in his career when on loan at Tannadice. Was a few years ago mind you. 

12 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Martin 10 Caps 2 Goals

Griffiths 9 Caps 0 Goals

Get him in though but like I said I don't see him as a prolific international goalscorer.

These statistics can be completely misleading though. It's goals per minutes played that gives an actual assessment of strike rate. Neither of them would be great anyway but the stats don't really tell the story. Same was the case with Steve fletcher for the first part of his career.

53 minutes ago, stitch said:

Ok I should of said he is good at set pieces and puts in a good cross. I remember the Georgia game think Maloney took all the free kicks and corners and didn't beat the first man once. Mulgrew took 1 corner and we nearly scored.

Not really sure what Shaun Maloney has got to do with Charlie Mulgrew's set piece taking prowess. Don't particularly rate Maloney's dead ball skills that highly either, but seeing as you brought him up, at least he has actually scored a couple of free kicks for us.

12 hours ago, Marky said:

Not really sure what Shaun Maloney has got to do with Charlie Mulgrew's set piece taking prowess. Don't particularly rate Maloney's dead ball skills that highly either, but seeing as you brought him up, at least he has actually scored a couple of free kicks for us.

try reading my post and you will get what i am on about.

the point i am making is Mulgrew is good at corners and putting the ball in the box from free kicks not actually scoring from them. 

19 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

These statistics can be completely misleading though. It's goals per minutes played that gives an actual assessment of strike rate. Neither of them would be great anyway but the stats don't really tell the story. Same was the case with Steve fletcher for the first part of his career.

Martin has started four games and Griffiths has started two so not a mammoth difference. In any case Martin is seen as the devil incarnate whilst Griffiths is hailed as our saviour so surely the stats should be more in Griffiths favour but they aren't. Why?

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Martin has started four games and Griffiths has started two so not a mammoth difference. In any case Martin is seen as the devil incarnate whilst Griffiths is hailed as our saviour so surely the stats should be more in Griffiths favour but they aren't. Why?

He's no saviour. Not convinced he is the answer either but he definitely deserves more of a crack of the whip than he's had thats for sure. Plus he's actually Scottish which is a big thing for me. 

Just now, Paulo2576 said:

He's no saviour. Not convinced he is the answer either but he definitely deserves more of a crack of the whip than he's had thats for sure. Plus he's actually Scottish which is a big thing for me. 

I did say elsewhere Griffiths should start as it is time for a chance however I hold out very little hope he is the answer to our goalscoring problems.

30 minutes ago, scottishedgar said:

If Griffiths had started v Malta and Gibraltar  (the teams Martin scored against) I daresay his stats would be better than Chris Martin

Griffiths has played against similar weak sides and not scored. And not made impacts when coming on as sub either so where is this evidence of his prowess coming from at international level? Martin is the devil (from Scotland fans point of view) and Griffiths is painted as something quite different so I want evidence of why this should be the case. He hasn't found the net for us is all I care about. Sure he scores for Celtic but international football is a level or two, maybe three up from that. I also query why (if he is a massive talent) he is not being linked with a big move to the EPL or such-like which even Tierney is as is Doumbele. It is just more evidence that he isn't the bees knees. Sure get him in against England but I'd be gobsmacked but delighted if he proves to be a goal getter for us.

I'm not saying he's going to be a goal machine for Scotland but I think that he's probably our best option up front at the moment against teams that we are equal to or better than. Unfortunately our esteemed leader seems to want to play the same way away against Germany as home to Georgia. 

Just don't think Griffiths has had a fair crack of the whip in the games we are expected to win and invariably struggle. He's played a combined total of less than 90 minutes in his caps v Luxembourg, Georgia, Qatar and Lithuania. Those are the games I think he should be playing in. (Same goes for Jordan Rhodes when he was at his peak form)