Top 5 Pubs You've Been In - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Pubs You've Been In

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

In no particular order

Harp & Castle - Leith Walk, Edinburgh

Guildford Arms - West Register St, Edinburgh

The Grosvenor - Shandwicks Place, Edinburgh

Cafe Royal - West Register St, Edinburgh

Filthy McNasty - Rose Street, Edinburgh (Shut Doon)

While there's nothing much wrong with the Guildford (that and Cafe Royal are the only pubs on your list I've visited - I think...), if it makes your top five boozers I think you need to need to broaden your horizons and consider a trip away from Edinburgh every now and again. 

2 hours ago, Regenmann said:

While there's nothing much wrong with the Guildford (that and Cafe Royal are the only pubs on your list I've visited - I think...), if it makes your top five boozers I think you need to need to broaden your horizons and consider a trip away from Edinburgh every now and again. 

Oh aye because the Toby Jug and Drouthys are amazing right enough

???

Guest MorayCupMan
10 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Harp & Castle - Leith Walk, Edinburgh

Ended up meeting a mate down the there to watch a scotland game a couple of years ago......a felt rather like an outsider been a fan of a top flight club though...nice enough place mind you

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Damn right. A pub where the only time you have to speak is to tell them to stop bringing you beer. Awesome.

I was last in it August 15 and it was a heatwave. Mate said he fancied a tango or similar as well as his PU but was petrified to ask for one! 

Just found the thread, and I went for these ones.

U Zlateho Tygra (At The Golden Tiger), Prague - probably my favourite pub in the world. No gimmicks, just a place to drink great beer. Great Panenka photo, too.

Malt and Hops, Leith - my local, and I reckon by far and away the best pub at the shore.

Fruh am Dom, Cologne - great city, great beer, great food and an underperforming football team. Cologne has everything that a Scottish football fan wants. Fruh am Dom is so good that I still love the place, despite the fact that the owner is a Rangers fan.

La Venencia, Madrid - a proper old school sherry bar. No tipping or photography is allowed, and they write your order in chalk on the bar. It's like nowhere else I've ever been. Turns out sherry isn't as rank as I thought it would be, either!

Sheffield Tap, Sheffield - I could have gone with any of about 10 pubs in Sheffield, it's the best city for ale I've ever been to. The only problem is that I always have too many Jaipurs and end up in a state.

I've just moved to Musselburgh from Leith, so I'd probably swap the Malt and Hops for Staggs. Otherwise I'd probably stick with this list, although I was in York last weekend, and I did take a real shine to The House of Trembling Madness.

2 hours ago, dieselarmy said:

U Zlateho Tygra (At The Golden Tiger), Prague - probably my favourite pub in the world. No gimmicks, just a place to drink great beer. Great Panenka photo, too.

Malt and Hops, Leith - my local, and I reckon by far and away the best pub at the shore.

Fruh am Dom, Cologne - great city, great beer, great food and an underperforming football team. Cologne has everything that a Scottish football fan wants. Fruh am Dom is so good that I still love the place, despite the fact that the owner is a Rangers fan.

La Venencia, Madrid - a proper old school sherry bar. No tipping or photography is allowed, and they write your order in chalk on the bar. It's like nowhere else I've ever been. Turns out sherry isn't as rank as I thought it would be, either!

Sheffield Tap, Sheffield - I could have gone with any of about 10 pubs in Sheffield, it's the best city for ale I've ever been to. The only problem is that I always have too many Jaipurs and end up in a state.

I've just moved to Musselburgh from Leith, so I'd probably swap the Malt and Hops for Staggs. Otherwise I'd probably stick with this list, although I was in York last weekend, and I did take a real shine to The House of Trembling Madness.

Here was my reply on said thread -  Incredible. There are 2 on that list that would be on mine.

I'd add Gaffel am Dom and Lozzerheimer in there too along with Unitecky Pivovar.

I'd scrap Fruh am Dom for Hofbrauhaus.

3 hours ago, dieselarmy said:

Couldn't agree more with The Golden Tiger - what a place. I'm sure there was a thread on this around 6 months ago. I'm away to check (and see what I said...)

Are we maybe getting a bit repetitive on the TAMB ? :o:lol:

Called into the Guildford on Saturday evening - we got talking to a Canadian tourist - as he was on his Robert Todd we bought him a drink in our round - when the barman found out one of the drinks was for him they were taken back and poured down the sink - apparently he was intoxicated (although he seemed fine to the three of us - perfectly lucid in fact) - a great advert for Visit Scotland. Cafe Royal has now been upgraded to my Waverley pit stop of choice and a sine die ban has been imposed on the Guildford.

On 07/11/2016 at 6:05 PM, dieselarmy said:

Will be in Sheffield on Friday for the football. Do you have a couple of recommendations for where to go to watch it? Will be near the ice rink, but not bothered if we have to get a taxi.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Queens Arms - Edinburgh

Brahms & Liszt - Glasgow (RIP)

Buza Bar - Dubrovnik

Bonhams - Glasgow (RIP)

The Venture - Linwood (RIP.  A real shithole but the first pub I ever got served in so will always hold a special place in my heart!)

Fantastic topic of conversation.

And before you ask, The Ambassador (Aberdeen). Great place, sorely missed.