Poppies on shirts? - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not only mostly a WWI & II thing for me but also IMO a conscription thing. People called up with little choice, horribly maimed and sent home to see it out. I actually think of these people quite a bit, what it would be like etc. I wonder what they would say seeing all of this pathetic poppy point scoring now. For professional soldiers in the modern age I am not sure this appeal really applies anymore.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

It is not only mostly a WWI & II thing for me but also IMO a conscription thing. People called up with little choice, horribly maimed and sent home to see it out. I actually think of these people quite a bit, what it would be like etc. I wonder what they would say seeing all of this pathetic poppy point scoring now. For professional soldiers in the modern age I am not sure this appeal really applies anymore.

You couldn't be more wrong or ill informed with your last sentence.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

I completely agree with your last sentence. 

On 18 November 2016 at 9:14 AM, in5omniac said:

Further investigations into the pre-match Armistice bits too.  Poppies on the big screens and advertising boards, giving out poppy t-shirts, the silence and the last post to name a few.  Surely that'd all be on the English FA though.

Should fine them for out of tune bugling

On 17 November 2016 at 6:24 PM, thplinth said:

A guy at my work is in the TA and was telling me he had to turn down the chance to go skiing for 3 months at the Army's expense as he couldn't get the time off.  I am sure a lot of people join up with stuff like that in mind, with poppies used as a recruitment tool, and it is completely different to the conscription of WW1 and WW2.

Edited by Deeklipse
correction

On 19/11/2016 at 5:28 PM, Deeklipse said:

A guy at my work is in the TA and was telling me he had to turn down the chance to go skiing for 3 months at the Army's expense as he couldn't get the time off.  I am sure a lot of people join up with stuff like that in mind, with poppies used as a recruitment tool, and it is completely different to the conscription of WW1 and WW2.

i knew some folk who joined the saturday sodjurs to get hgv and fork truck licences .  then the gulf war broke out and they were shiteing it that theybwould get called up to go and shoot an arab or two.