Poppies on shirts? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I've got to laugh at some of the hypocrites on here and on Facebook who say that FIFA have made the correct decision and that politics has no place in football(whether it's classed as politics is another argument entirely). These are the same folk who were waving YES paraphanalia in the Westfalen(sp?), Craven Cottage and other game leading up to the the referendum and have been talking about "sticking Brexit up yer arse" etc

Agreed. 

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

When did all this creep into the game? Fairly recently I think. Certainly wasn't the fake outpouring 20 years ago.

Get poppies to off shirts. Let fans wear them if they wish but keep this circus away from the pitch.

Correct. football strips should be that znd only that .  poppy wearing or not is 100percent a personal choice. 

End.

13 minutes ago, macy37 said:

When did all this creep into the game? Fairly recently I think. Certainly wasn't the fake outpouring 20 years ago.

Get poppies to off shirts. Let fans wear them if they wish but keep this circus away from the pitch.

I read a couple of years ago around this time when similar comments are made , that the first time poppies were worn on Leicester city shirts vs Blackburn in 2003. 

Referenced in http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-beats-year-s-fund-raising-effort/story-20248101-detail/story.html

22 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Have we ever worn poppies on our shirt before?  Where we being disrespectful if we didn't?

We were allowed to wear poppies on armbands in a 2-1 win in Cyprus in 2011:

_56671596_poppy466.jpg

The players got rid of the armbands at half time though because the velcro wouldn't stick.

I see that our beloved PM is coming out with a nice Thatcher-esque comment on the matter:

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out," said Mrs May.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37848413

This is the 2nd time in 2 days that I've seen/heard the line that the 'players want' to wear the poppies. I've not seen or heard any players saying anything of the sort. What I have seen is representatives of each FA, politicians and media figures getting worked up and speaking emotively about the subject with obvious outrage at the decision. The BBC Reporting Scotland piece last night also said that the 'players wanted' to wear them. 

The remembrance is at 11am. Why don't each of the respective squads have an event at their hotel. Media presence to capture their moment of remembrance and they can quietly have their moment. Any of the fans that want to do likewise can go to an appropriate ceremony anywhere in the country for 11am and wear the poppy for the day/evening/game/week  -  whatever they see fit and appropriate.  All of the outrage on this is an absolute nonsense. 

Sort of reminds me of a recent story in India where some guy sitting in the front row of the cinema did not stand up when they played the national anthem. Guy behind gave him a light skelp round the side of the head saying stand up.  Turns out he was disabled and had turned up early to take his seat and have his chair stowed. Where does this sense of outrage come from people which increases it seems the more removed they are form the actual suffering. I grew up when WWI & II veterans were alive in larger numbers and this bullying sentimentality was unseen as far as I can recall. Seems a newish thing.

Edited by thplinth

On 11/1/2016 at 0:43 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Remembrance should be a personal thing however it was hijacked by the Tories for political means some years ago

A small point of order.

It was actually Tony Blair's Labour government that deliberately and cynically turned the poppy from a symbol of remembrance into a symbol of patriotism. 

All to silence criticism of the Iraq war. It was at that point the poppy became political.

Ever since then, it's been hijacked by each government for their own political ends.