Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"?

Dunty

Just now, Chits And Pieces said:

Does stuff like that not defeat the purpose of having a singing section to support the team though?

Why ? By having a laugh with friends at our own expense ? 

What should we have done ? Started hitting innocents and wrecking the place ? 

It wasn't at the game so highly doubt it would have affected the players. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and a hundred times yes.

The Tartan Army support is murder.  

I've got to ask why not?  Something needs to change. The Berti years brought in a new atmosphere that was cracking for about 8 years.  It's time for something new.

I'm not going back until there's changes anyway.  I'd rather watch the game in a pub with a good atmosphere than the north stand at the moment. 

Just now, jock strap said:

Why ? By having a laugh with friends at our own expense ? 

What should we have done ? Started hitting innocents and wrecking the place ? 

It wasn't at the game so highly doubt it would have affected the players. 

It wouldn't have affected the players but I believe these type of things just add to the negativity in the support and shows that we see ourselves as a joke, and failure is accepted and even celebrated.

The support isn't going to improve while our fans see a 3-0 defeat as a laughing matter.

We just lost an important qualifier but who gives a feck? No Scotland, no party etc.

And no, of course we shouldn't wreck the place, but it isn't a straight choice between one or the other.

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Yes and a hundred times yes.

The Tartan Army support is murder.  

I've got to ask why not?  Something needs to change. The Berti years brought in a new atmosphere that was cracking for about 8 years.  It's time for something new.

I'm not going back until there's changes anyway.  I'd rather watch the game in a pub with a good atmosphere than the north stand at the moment. 

That's not really helping.

Complain that the support is pish but don't attend until it gets better?

1 minute ago, Chits And Pieces said:

It wouldn't have affected the players but I believe these type of things just add to the negativity in the support and shows that we see ourselves as a joke, and failure is accepted and even celebrated.

The support isn't going to improve while our fans see a 3-0 defeat as a laughing matter.

We just lost an important qualifier but who gives a feck? No Scotland, no party etc.

And no, of course we shouldn't wreck the place, but it isn't a straight choice between one or the other.

Valid point made but having a sense of humour is hardly not being a loyal supporter.

What do you suggest supporters should do after the game ? 

I'm intrigued to know what you suggest as I find after having followed Scotland for a number of years, humour amongst friends after the match whilst discussing the positives and negatives is better than other ways of dealing with defeat or other negative factors.

Just now, jock strap said:

Valid point made but having a sense of humour is hardly not being a loyal supporter.

I never said it was.

What do you suggest supporters should do after the game ? 

Whatever they like would be my suggestion. I personally go for a few drinks after it.

I'm intrigued to know what you suggest as I find after having followed Scotland for a number of years, humour amongst friends after the match whilst discussing the positives and negatives is better than other ways of dealing with defeat or other negative factors.

I would agree. Singing to opposition fans that "you only scored 3" isn't my idea of humour though.

You stated that fans celebrate failure and accept it.

What extensive experience do you have following Scotland makes you able to quote that ? 

People react to defeat differently but that doesn't mean those who display a sense of humour amongst themselves don't take the defeat personally. 

Where did I quote that it was being sung to opposition fans ? For your information, it was sang in a pub by Scotland fans having a laugh, amongst ourselves. 

Some call it banter and good natured fun, it is not an acceptance to defeat and failure by any means.

We are all upset at defeat, and a sad fact is that we are used to being let down more often than not in recent years, but people deal with it in different ways.

We as fans can't change the result but we can deal with the aftermath in the local pubs and streets.

Atmosphere generated by Scotland fans at Home/Away games has been poor for a few years. Hopefully we can raise our game at Wembley next month both on the pitch and stands.

The match day atmosphere at home has deteriorated over the last 4 yrs and although it's refreshing to try new ideas it hasn't worked.

Dedicated singing sections have worked at club level so it may be worth giving this a go. Appreciate that some fans find this hard to accept but noise level at the Lithuania game was poor.

Just now, jailer said:

Atmosphere generated by Scotland fans at Home/Away games has been poor for a few years. Hopefully we can raise our game at Wembley next month both on the pitch and stands.

The match day atmosphere at home has deteriorated over the last 4 yrs and although it's refreshing to try new ideas it hasn't worked.

Dedicated singing sections have worked at club level so it may be worth giving this a go. Appreciate that some fans find this hard to accept but noise level at the Lithuania game was poor.

:ok: 

43 minutes ago, jock strap said:

:lol: well said ! 

That'll be us on the list now, don't worry about it, you'll receive a few posts about 'the famous' and a photo of Jimmy Calderwood. 

I'll be thinking of you this weekend when I'm at Hampden :wub:

6 minutes ago, jock strap said:

What extensive experience do you have following Scotland makes you able to quote that ? 

Not sure what you'd class this as "extensive" but I've been following us home and away for 2 decades so have seen enough of this to feel justified in my opinion.

People react to defeat differently but that doesn't mean those who display a sense of humour amongst themselves don't take the defeat personally. 

Where did I quote that it was being sung to opposition fans ? For your information, it was sang in a pub by Scotland fans having a laugh, amongst ourselves. 

Fair enough but you said the lyrics were "how shit must you be, you only scored three" and since Scotland never scored three, and Slovakia did, I would say that was a fair enough assumption to make.

Some call it banter and good natured fun, it is not an acceptance to defeat and failure by any means.

We are all upset at defeat, and a sad fact is that we are used to being let down more often than not in recent years, but people deal with it in different ways.

We as fans can't change the result but we can deal with the aftermath in the local pubs and streets.

Again, fair enough, I'm not trying to tell you or anyone how to behave. I was asking if you agreed with me that songs like that defeat the purpose of complaining that the support is crap and suggesting we have a singing section. Apparently you don't, and that's totally fine.

3 hours ago, Chits And Pieces said:

Then you have attitudes like this, people who want to improve the atmosphere and support the team more vocally obviously must think they are better than everyone else.

You might be happy slurring your words to "we'll be coming" twice a game, but not everyone is.

:lol::ok:

24 minutes ago, Chris frae Killie said:

I thought the North Stand was the singing section?!? That's where the SFA encourage the pipers and drummers to go or at least they used to...

You need songs for a singing section, i'm afraid "doh a deer" & "we'll be coming" is about as our lot theses days and frankly are utter pish !!

Beginning to think the formation of the travel club is part of the problem. I joined in 1995 to guarantee tickets for Euro 96 and stayed in until 2006 but apart from the world cup in 98 it was a bit of a waste of money. Don't get to half the home games now but after my daughter asking I decided to go to the Lithuania game, might have been late looking for tickets but the only ones available when I applied were the west stand. So basically the best seats are ring fenced for club members and away tickets are taken before any public sale. I know people say you can go and get a ticket for the away end abroad but is it worth the cost with no guarantee. 

Another thing that has killed the Hampden roar was the period when the west stand was kids only, the Hampden squeak took over. 

Flower of Scotland should go too, we have been awful since it was introduced but then what you expect with a national anthem saying we used to be great but are crap now to motivate the players.

If a singing area could bring in new or old songs to get rid of the ones we use just now, that might help too.

Biggest problem of course is the silly time games are on at, would have been a lot more at Lithuania game with out such a stupid start time, the way things are going with the Slovenia game being 7:45 on a Sunday we will be lucky to get 10,000 there.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 hours ago, jock strap said:

Gibraltar away....hunners stood clapping failure. Thousands in fact. 

Next month when we put up a "Brave" performance they'll all be stood celebrating failure again.