Strachan on Griffiths - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan on Griffiths

podgers1903

3 minutes ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

Couple of things:

Relaying on strikers to defend set pieces instead of making our defenders better at it?

Is this a new excuse he has come up with? He hasn't had a problem in picking Barry Bannan, Ikechi Anya and Shaun Maloney in the past. All are all smaller than Griffiths (and James Forrest is a whopping 2cm taller too)

Is the whole team back defending each set piece? Who is staying up to make a counter attack? (Or chase the punt up the park?)

What are we a nation of midgets FFS.

We should see if Snow White wants the managers job.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AmishBoy said:

Leigh Griffiths shouldn't be in the squad to "defend set plays".

It is unbelievable that any 'modern' day coach would still pick players based only on their physical attributes. Ridiculous comment from the national manager.

Strachan is only picking players on size

Sbragia was picking u-21 players due to size and pace

Rae has said the academies are teaching players to play from back which is no good

we are doomed

3 minutes ago, AmishBoy said:

Leigh Griffiths shouldn't be in the squad to "defend set plays".

It is unbelievable that any 'modern' day coach would still pick players based only on their physical attributes. Ridiculous comment from the national manager.

Our big men are fecking hopeless at defending set plays anyway, as Hanley proved for Slovakia's 3rd goal.

Ridiculous comment from Gordon the clown

When Strachan was asked whether Griffiths would have to accept he would only be used as a substitute, the manager said: “No, I wouldn’t say that. In the 51 games in the Euro Championships the first 19 goals were scored from set plays. That means you have to have a certain amount of height on the field to defend corner kicks.

“I’ll give you an example. The [Scotland] team was a lot smaller at 2-0 than it was at 0-0 [in Slovakia] and the first corner kick we get after that, they score with a header. Does that help you with the certain amount of height that you have to have in my team? There’s absolutely no doubt about it.

“People can argue that toss and debate it. But that is fact. You need to have a certain amount of height in international football teams to defend set plays. It’s not just Leigh Griffiths. You’ve got to try to get the balance. I could pick a huge team but there would be a problem passing the ball.

“I’ve got to try to get a balance between height and strength and ability. If you’ve got the whole package then that’s a real bonus. Unfortunately, we didn’t have too many with the whole package.”

Strachan, please just GTF as soon as you can please, youre a charlatan and nothing more. Take your quips to your media buddies, but youre ruining Scotland worse than anyone else in living history.

The irony of this is that Steven Fletcher (and to a lesser extent Chris Martin) is anything but physical.

For his stature he is absolutely powder puff. Martin not much better.

I genuinely doubt Griffiths is any less physical and he is arguably better in the air than the pair of them.

Edited by Marky

C'mon now this is true, Franco Baresi was only an inch taller than Griffiths and he could not defend neither. Only a fool would disagree with Gordon on this one. His insights are amazing. We are all so lucky he is calling the shots and not you idiots thinking do the obvious things, pffft where did that ever get anyone.

Strachan said: “At the moment I just think I am the best man to go down there with the group and get a result. I think I have explained it. I have absolutely no fear of the sack.

“I am so lucky that I have done so much, all because I have had good people round me, and I want to bring the same to other people. There would be nothing better than if I could take this nation and the people who have supported us and the players to a wee bit of recognition

Someone make him go away please.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

It's all went a bit levein 

I've been saying for months that Strachan has went "full-Levein". He's an absolute clown. With every selection or utterance he's desperate to show everyone that he's clever than us all. 

*Sad bugger over analysing alert*

Right its a slow Monday in work so I had a wee look into this "19 opening goals from set plays" :lol:

Lovely little 15 minute video on youtube of all the goals.

There are indeed 19 opening goals from set plays (maybe even 20) *however* 8 of these are from penalties or direct free kicks. 

I think only 5 of these were classic corners or free kicks headed in by somebody - the rest were knock downs / rebounds / shots outside the box when the ball breaks etc.Another couple from icelandic throw ins.

So aye 5 - 11 goals scored through sheer height and power out of 108. 

Basically as we all know the guy is full of shite and just makes up whatever he wants to justify his selections picks. But hey what do I know i'm just a punter who has never played the game to a high level.

Oh and special mentions for absolute giants of the game Greizmann 176cm and Brady 176cm for being able to score goals at the euros, 

I was delighted when Celtic appointed him and then couldn't wait to see the back of him after his fateful last season.

same thing at Scotland, breath of fresh air after avril, but right now I can't stand the man. I want him gone. He is a fud.

we need a replacement from abroad. No Scottish managers (that would be available) would take us forward 

A disappointing thing to read, for sure.

The corner he cites, the guy was being marked by Hanley, probably the tallest guy in the team.
And at the same time he's saying Griffiths is too short, he's got Ketch, Bannan and Forrest in/around the team.

I can understand that sometimes Strachan 'tactically' says silly things to focus attention and agro on him, rather than on the players, protecting them from public/media berating, but I really don't see the value of this comment from him.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Naisy is one of our smallest players and he'd beat Martin or Fletcher 99 times out of 100 in the air.

He's not really tho, is he. Bannan, Anya, Forrest, Ritchie, McKay, Griffiths, McGinn.. McArthur's about his height too isnt he?