Ruth Davidson - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A lot of chat that Ruth Davidson is going to be awarded a peerage and that she might be made Secretary of State for Scotland in the upcoming UK cabinet reshuffle.

That obviously makes a mockery of her reasons for standing down but would present an interesting scenario that we've never had before.

She is of course still an MSP and will remain so until next May.   She won't stand down as since she's a constituency MP, that would force a by-election, one that the SNP would expect to win, particularly if they put the expected candidate up.

Unlike the House of Commons, there is no bar on a member of the House of Lords from serving as an MSP, this has happened before with Annabel Goldie and Curtains Watson, however neither had any UKG government role at the time.

You'd therefore have the frankly bizarre scenario of the Secretary of State for Scotland being an unelected member of the House of Lords but also a backbench opposition MSP at Holyrood.

I'd expect the SNP to make absolute hay with that.

34 minutes ago, aaid said:

A lot of chat that Ruth Davidson is going to be awarded a peerage and that she might be made Secretary of State for Scotland in the upcoming UK cabinet reshuffle.

That obviously makes a mockery of her reasons for standing down but would present an interesting scenario that we've never had before.

She is of course still an MSP and will remain so until next May.   She won't stand down as since she's a constituency MP, that would force a by-election, one that the SNP would expect to win, particularly if they put the expected candidate up.

Unlike the House of Commons, there is no bar on a member of the House of Lords from serving as an MSP, this has happened before with Annabel Goldie and Curtains Watson, however neither had any UKG government role at the time.

You'd therefore have the frankly bizarre scenario of the Secretary of State for Scotland being an unelected member of the House of Lords but also a backbench opposition MSP at Holyrood.

I'd expect the SNP to make absolute hay with that.

see where you're going but don't think it will bother people. She'll still be elected and is the only person unionists really have to muster around with any excitement.  That Duncan guy was a minister even though unelected and noone batted an eyelid.

It's one of the great mysteries to me that people can actually serve in cabinet in the House of Lords.  I can just about understand the reasons for an unelected scrutiny chamber but to actually be in the Government?  it's incredible it's barely mentioned.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

see where you're going but don't think it will bother people. She'll still be elected and is the only person unionists really have to muster around with any excitement.  That Duncan guy was a minister even though unelected and noone batted an eyelid.

It's one of the great mysteries to me that people can actually serve in cabinet in the House of Lords.  I can just about understand the reasons for an unelected scrutiny chamber but to actually be in the Government?  it's incredible it's barely mentioned.

I'm thinking more of Nicola Sturgeon or whoever being asked something in the chamber and going "let's ask the Secretary of State about that" or "where's the Secretary of State" if she's not there.  

Not that she'd actually respond of course and could you imagine what the response would be like if she ever actually spoke in the chamber?