48 team World Cup - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

48 team World Cup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee seems to be all for it which means it must be an idiotic idea.

What he doesn't seem to appreciate is that the clamour for extra qualifiers is because there are already too many going from Europe and not enough from elsewhere.  It's not going to get any easier for Scotland if there another 16 shit-hot African/Asian teams to be overcome...

I'm afraid I may have to take responsibility here.

i was talking to Infantino in the pub after the Beckham UNICEF match at Man U, and told him that he should increase the number of countries at the WC so we had a chance of qualifiying. 

I said that a country that took 12000 fans to a glorified friendly in Faro deserves to be at the finals.

he said he loved the Scottish fans and agreed with me!!!!

he was a top bloke by the way, had a bit of crack and was just standing drinking pints....

The 40 team format would equal groups of 5 and an extra game in the group stages.

Why not just expand it to 64 teams if you're thinking of doing this.

16 group of 4 teams with an extra knockout round. Round of 32 instead of 16. Would still only equal 1 extra game for teams and increase our chances of qualifying.

Downside is that there is probably only a few countries capable of hosting it. 

Edited by iainmac1

3 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

The 40 team format would equal groups of 5 and an extra game in the group stages.

He's talking 48, with the top 16 going to the group stage, and the other 32 playing a pre-lim to get one of the other 16 places.

As I said, would make great tv, but otherwise a horrendous idea.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

He's talking 48, with the top 16 going to the group stage, and the other 32 playing a pre-lim to get one of the other 16 places.

You just know Scotland would qualify but be one of the teams going out in that qualifying round.

11 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Why not just expand it to 64 teams if you're thinking of doing this.

16 group of 4 teams with an extra knockout round. Round of 32 instead of 16. Would still only equal 1 extra game for teams and increase our chances of qualifying.

Downside is that there is probably only a few countries capable of hosting it. 

The tournament would last about 2 months too!

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah I was just talking about the original idea. Don't like the 48 team idea.

Unless you has 12 groups of 4.

With top 2 going through and 8 best 3rd place teams to give a round of 32. I'd be happy with that.

If it was 40 you could have 10 groups of 4. The 10 group winners get to sit out Round 2, bit of an incentive there.

Round 2 features 10 runners up plus the 2 best third place teams. The 6 winning teams from that round join the group winners in the last 16.

One would think the Euro 2016 fiasco would have made the big bosses to rethink about the direction football is heading to? I think football in europe is at its peak and people could feel oversarturated soon. Maybe wise to break european dominance and give others a chance..who knows. I am just bored by matches everyday (round the clock) and this blown up "product". The old championsleague and uefa cup with one televised match every other week and tough WC with Highlights from day one were much more appealing to me in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

One would think the Euro 2016 fiasco would have made the big bosses to rethink about the direction football is heading to? I think football in europe is at its peak and people could feel oversarturated soon. Maybe wise to break european dominance and give others a chance..who knows. I am just bored by matches everyday (round the clock) and this blown up "product". The old championsleague and uefa cup with one televised match every other week and tough WC with Highlights from day one were much more appealing to me in the past. 

I thought the Euro 2016 format was great. Hardly a fiasco. It gave almost every team something to play for going into their final game and smaller countries had the potential to qualify for the knockout stage. 

3 hours ago, Batzek-osemba said:

So we have to arrange world football because you are fed up watching it on tv?

Just get rid of your Sky package or turn it over and watch bake off!

I think the format of 40 teams in 8 groups of 5 would be the better expansion.  Every country gets 4 games at least, with the 5th ranked team sitting out the last pair of group matches. Top 2 go in each group go through to knockout rounds. 

There could be 16 from Europe...6 from Africa...6 from South America....6 from Asia...5 from North/Central America..1 from Oceania....

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Being voted on today. Infantino seems to have tweaked his idea, now the favourite option is 16 groups of 3 with the top 2 in each progressing to a 32 team knockout phase...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/09/world-cup-48-team-expansion-fifa-gianni-infantino-2026

So that'll be us in a group of 3 with Brazil and Germany while England get Melchester Rovers and Lapland!!!