Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Great, and true, story about him being half caned before match at Berwick and being posted missing in the 1st half.

He was subbed at half time and once game finished he was gone, nowhere to be seen.

He was found safe and well in the Angel Inn getting full again 500 yards from Shielfield Park. 

Didn't he go on a massive bender or pub crawl with the French rugby team who were in Edinburgh at the time playing Scotland? 

42 minutes ago, silverbear said:

Didn't he go on a massive bender or pub crawl with the French rugby team who were in Edinburgh at the time playing Scotland? 

Seem to recall some furore over him missing a Hibs game and turning up at Murrayfield to watch the rugger...

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Seem to recall some furore over him missing a Hibs game and turning up at Murrayfield to watch the rugger...

Not quite.

Hibs were playing Ayr in the Scottish Cup on the Sunday (17th February). Best was billeted in the Caledonian Hotel, same as the visiting French rugby team was who were playing at Murrayfield on the Saturday (Scotland won 22-14).

Said French team arrived back from the game and 'persuaded' George to join them in the bar, and the rest as they say...................

Edited by Barney Rubble

12 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Lewis Grabban for Motherwell...5 appearances no goals. 

Bought for £8million by Bournemouth 8 years later :lol:

I'd be amazed if many players who have played in Scotland have went for such fees at some point afterwards in their career.

Jay Rodriguez too.

Sent on loan by Burnley to Stirling Albion in 2008, played eleven games and scored three goals.

In 2012 transferred to Southampton from Burnley for about £7,000,000 and capped by England. Was out injured all last season but back playing now.

17 hours ago, adamntg said:

Best enhanced Scottish football did he?  Played a few games, went on a few benders and missed games because of it, got relegated, played a few games in the first division and that was that.

Saw him make his debut for Hibs, attracted around 14,000 to Love Street [our average attendance was around 6,500 then}, Saints were 2-0 up, Best scored a peach from 30 yards, then repeated it but it was ruled offside for some strange reason.

Despite being way past his Best [pun intended} he was still class to watch. OIld Firm aside it was also the only time at Love Street I witnessed the away support outnumber the home support, Hibs had around 8,000 there that day.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 0:53 PM, Rossy said:

:lol:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Alan Kernaghan ? Victor Ferryra ? Jody Morris ? Fyssas ?

Come on....:lol:

Add Christophe Cocard, Eremenko  (first spell) and Leckovic to that list. 

Dindeleux was classy as too. 

On 9/20/2016 at 5:53 PM, Rossy said:

:lol:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Alan Kernaghan ? Victor Ferryra ? Jody Morris ? Fyssas ?

Come on....:lol:

6 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Saw him make his debut for Hibs, attracted around 14,000 to Love Street [our average attendance was around 6,500 then}, Saints were 2-0 up, Best scored a peach from 30 yards, then repeated it but it was ruled offside for some strange reason.

Despite being way past his Best [pun intended} he was still class to watch. OIld Firm aside it was also the only time at Love Street I witnessed the away support outnumber the home support, Hibs had around 8,000 there that day.

Seen him play his first home game for hibs (against Partick Thistle IIRC). Crowd of over 20,000 there and he still had bags of skill, he just couldn't run very far/at all. used to drink in my work local, Cairns bar (shut many years ago now) 

17 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not quite.

Hibs were playing Ayr in the Scottish Cup on the Sunday (17th February). Best was billeted in the Caledonian Hotel, same as the visiting French rugby team was who were playing at Murrayfield on the Saturday (Scotland won 22-14).

Said French team arrived back from the game and 'persuaded' George to join them in the bar, and the rest as they say...................

Is there no also a story about him missing a game as a result of going on a bender with Blonde (the band) after a gig they did in Edinburgh?

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Didn't realise til I heard recently that Riyad Mahrez failed a trial with St Mirren! :oops:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10262801/leicesters-riyad-mahrez-once-fled-a-trial-at-st-mirren-because-of-the-cold

Said Scotland was too cold for him and he buggered off home early. Cheeky bästard.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Is there no also a story about him missing a game as a result of going on a bender with Blonde (the band) after a gig they did in Edinburgh?

bollox according to this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-George-Came-Edinburgh-Munro-ebook/dp/184158889X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474554323&sr=8-1&keywords=when+george+came+to+edinburgh

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10262801/leicesters-riyad-mahrez-once-fled-a-trial-at-st-mirren-because-of-the-cold

Said Scotland was too cold for him and he buggered off home early. Cheeky bästard.

Aye, because leicester is like the costa del sol anaw. 

Surely the ever accomodating women of paisley would have kept him warm during the winter months. 

Sieb Dijkstra and Darren Randolph are the 2 best keepers I've seen at Motherwell, both would be on my list.

Most of the outfield players I'd have suggested have been mentioned.

Luc Nijholt

Miodrag Krivokapic

Michael Higdon :P

I'd add Simo Valakari and Mitchell Van der gaag.