Train from Budapest - Slovakia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Train from Budapest

Kilwinning TA

18 minutes ago, DoubleSC said:

The Mrs and I are doing the same. Glas - Stansted early Sunday morning then Stansted to Budapest at 1145 arriving around 3 pm in Budapest. Never been before. Any idea where is best to stay in the city.

Exactly the same as us. I'll find out where we are based, I'm sure we booked a big apartment. I'll get back to you. Welcome to join us in the bar though!

2 hours ago, DoubleSC said:

The Mrs and I are doing the same. Glas - Stansted early Sunday morning then Stansted to Budapest at 1145 arriving around 3 pm in Budapest. Never been before. Any idea where is best to stay in the city.

Somewhere around Oktogon is probably your best bet.

3 minutes ago, Fish Supper said:

I've just looked at train times online and it comes in at around 4hrs or more! What website you using for trains? I arrive Budapest at 09:25 on Tue morning. 

should be 2 hours 50 minutes.

(Budapest-Keleti to Bratislava)

4 hours ago, Kilwinning TA said:

Exactly the same as us. I'll find out where we are based, I'm sure we booked a big apartment. I'll get back to you. Welcome to join us in the bar though!

Cheers - will see you in the bar/bars. Will sort accommodation out in Budapest. May as well all get the same ttrain to Bratislava. 

For a lively area in Budapest, Ráday Street is the place to be.... pedestrianized street full of hipster bars, Cuban and Mexican Cocktail Bars, Pubs (including a Scottish Bar owned by a Armenian.... Sir Williams Pub).... great prices here as you are well away from the tourists traps..... there is a Ibis at the top of the street, and you are not far from the old market place, which is at the top end of the historical/tourist part of Pest.

I am in Budapest on the way back on the Wednesday night, but noticed hotel prices seem to be right through the roof that night!

Edited by wanderer

Meeting my fellow ice cream TA pals in Bratislava , but travelling Billy Nomates from Manchester to Budapest on the Sunday morning. Train on Monday. Got to do the Szecheny baths in the afternoon - just fantastic. Probs have a wee stroll round at night including the Scottish bar  -been there before.

On 13/09/2016 at 4:22 PM, wanderer said:

For a lively area in Budapest, Ráday Street is the place to be.... pedestrianized street full of hipster bars, Cuban and Mexican Cocktail Bars, Pubs (including a Scottish Bar owned by a Armenian.... Sir Williams Pub).... great prices here as you are well away from the tourists traps..... there is a Ibis at the top of the street, and you are not far from the old market place, which is at the top end of the historical/tourist part of Pest.

I am in Budapest on the way back on the Wednesday night, but noticed hotel prices seem to be right through the roof that night!

Sir Williams food used to be great, but they must have changed their chef, its not what it used to be. We are there Wednesday and Thursday on the way back.

On 13/09/2016 at 0:23 PM, Larbert TA said:

We're staying in the Ibis Budapest Zentrum.  On the flight from Edinburgh arriving at 8.10pm on the Sunday night.

We are on same flight. Will need to organise same train journey on the Monday.

11 hours ago, kumnio said:

Sir Williams food used to be great, but they must have changed their chef, its not what it used to be. We are there Wednesday and Thursday on the way back.

That is a shame :( their Sir William Steak was the stuff of legend.

4 of us are arriving on the Saturday via Stanstead, and taking the train on Monday. We're spending Wednesday night there again with the return flight via Stanstead again.

Any recommendations on bars, restaurants and tourist attractions? I've heard about the baths but don't know anyone that's actually been. Worth it?

Also, where's the best place to watch the Scotland game on Saturday night?

Cheers

22 minutes ago, bryan_80 said:

4 of us are arriving on the Saturday via Stanstead, and taking the train on Monday. We're spending Wednesday night there again with the return flight via Stanstead again.

Any recommendations on bars, restaurants and tourist attractions? I've heard about the baths but don't know anyone that's actually been. Worth it?

Cheers

Baths are suppose to be really good! Not done them myself, and if I had the time on this visit I would have done them, but want to see and do other things, so saved for a future visit.

Parliament Building is suppose to be really good (I am doing one of their tours on the Thursday morning before heading to the airport).

Lots of good bars in the Pest side of the river (its effectively 2 cities in 1, Buda and Pest... Buda is the side with the castle and baths... Pest is the more modern and lively side) but it has its fair share of over priced tourists traps who try to lure you in with a guy standing outside dressed in a medieval costume.

If your first visit to Budapest, you will probably leave feeling disappointed that the prices are the same as back home....But venture away from the tourist heart of the city to Raday Street as I mentioned above, and pay more "eastern European rates" as it is a good and lively street full of good bars and restaurants where you will pay cheap prices 

41 minutes ago, bryan_80 said:

Cheers

We're going here to watch the game

http://www.caledonia.hu/en

42 minutes ago, bryan_80 said:

Cheers

This is the thread for you ;) ....

http://tartanarmyboard.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/7740-budapest/&page=1

17 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Meeting my fellow ice cream TA pals in Bratislava , but travelling Billy Nomates from Manchester to Budapest on the Sunday morning. Train on Monday. Got to do the Szecheny baths in the afternoon - just fantastic. Probs have a wee stroll round at night including the Scottish bar  -been there before.

Kilwinning Ta happy for you to join us for beers Sunday afternoon/night we will be in pub by 4pm if your local