Most well known Scottish teams - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most well known Scottish teams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Davied14 said:

This thread reminds of a great post I seen someone share from a Celtic forum where a guy claimed he went to the Boca vs River derby in his Celtic shirt (and his mate in a Rangers shirt) and all the Argentines recognised the Celtic top but some were asking the Rangers fan what team's shirt he was wearing. The cherry on the top of this story however is that he also claimed he was serenaded with "You'll never walk alone" by the locals on his way to the stadium.

Aye but the game would've been in the Catholic part of Buenos Aires...

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Celtic do have a distinctive strip.

I'd guess it would make a top 10-20 of distinctive shirts in football.

Unless you thought it was Sporting Lisboa

This however was out in 1876 - Morton's hoops were a couple of years earlier

Therefore Celtic are Johnny Come Latelys

hamilton academicals 1876

Also Hamilton Accies are the only professional football team that were established from a school team 

Thats distinctive

Edited by Ally Bongo

A lot of Nordic people seem to know a lot of smaller Scottish clubs, strangest was a Faroese guy telling me he followed Forfar - although I believe they had a Faroese player previously at Aberdeen, and sure he sounded a bit Scottish, Gregerson or Patursson, or something. A lot of Icelandic people seem to know of Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and as one said "the catholic Saint teams - Johnstone and Mirren''.Patrick Thistle as well - maybe do with uni?

Met an Argentine guy in a hostel who knew a bit about Celtic and Rangers. A lot of ex Yugoslavians seem big in to Celtic, and I´d say Scottish/Irish songs and culture in general.

In Ireland often heard a lot of Irish calling Utd 'Dundee' much to the amusement of an Utd pal.

Most interesting experience I had was at Hong Kong customs, a very friendly guy who spied 'Dundee' as DOB and went on to talk about Utd and them beating Barcelona, and they were his 'British' team.

A few Dutch as well I can recall talking about Aberdeen from the cup winning team  right through to present day.

12 hours ago, Davied14 said:

This thread reminds of a great post I seen someone share from a Celtic forum where a guy claimed he went to the Boca vs River derby in his Celtic shirt (and his mate in a Rangers shirt) and all the Argentines recognised the Celtic top but some were asking the Rangers fan what team's shirt he was wearing. The cherry on the top of this story however is that he also claimed he was serenaded with "You'll never walk alone" by the locals on his way to the stadium.

I might have believed that had he been a Liverpool supporter. I doubt any fans outwith celtic supporters associate that song with them.

I`ve lived in various European countries in last 30 odd years and main change has been that now  almost nothing is known  about Scottish clubs. People still know names Celtic and Rangers but not nearly as much as before and other clubs are virtually unknown. In 80s and 90s when Scottish clubs regularly played in Europe in September or even later whichever clubs were in Europe were known-I remember people in France and Spain knowing about St Mirren for example. Success of Aberdeen and Dundee United in 80s got some recognition but a lot was having name of a city and DU were reported as "Dundee" for many years even at time of beating Barcelona etc. Before our clubs were knocked out by German or Spanish clubs, now it`s by Slovenian or Maltese so it`s normal that we don`t get so much recognition. On positive side, Scottish clubs now have fans in Poland, Spain etc who have become genuine fans while living in Scotland and kept an interest after going home.

Incidentally, how well are Scottish clubs known in England?

On September 3, 2016 at 5:53 PM, ironbrew said:

Incidentally, how well are Scottish clubs known in England?

I lived in England for quite a few years and all my mates knew loads of Scottish teams.  But that was only because they grew up watching the vidiprinter on Saturday afternoon.  I am sure it is very different now.

3 minutes ago, Denny's Yard said:

I lived in England for quite a few years and all my mates knew loads of Scottish teams.  But that was only because they grew up watching the vidiprinter on Saturday afternoon.  I am sure it is very different now.

At my wee boys football in Glasgow, the strips are....

Real Madrid, Barca, man city, man Utd, Celtic, Bayern Munich, Dunfermline ( knows) and that's about it.

On 9/2/2016 at 5:42 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Unless you thought it was Sporting Lisboa

This however was out in 1876 - Morton's hoops were a couple of years earlier

Therefore Celtic are Johnny Come Latelys

hamilton academicals 1876

Also Hamilton Accies are the only professional football team that were established from a school team 

Thats distinctive

Hibs were first to wear green and white hoops.  Brother Walfrid basically copy and pasted idea of Hibs into Glasgow. 

On 9/2/2016 at 11:03 PM, NEILY1314 said:

I might have believed that had he been a Liverpool supporter. I doubt any fans outwith celtic supporters associate that song with them.

I think you can be sure that the likes of Barca, AC, Inter etc associate it with Celtic too. 

I'm no Celtic fan but it certainly sounds better at Parkhead for some reason. More colourful too.

21 hours ago, giblet said:

Hibs were first to wear green and white hoops.  Brother Walfrid basically copy and pasted idea of Hibs into Glasgow. 

I think a lot of early strips were hooped as they were easier/cheaper to make than stripes. Maybe Accies schoolboys had their grannies knit them.

22 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

People rately know anything about scottish football here in Germany. A good portion locates the old firm in England. So those who know a bit about it probably know hearts as 3rd force and aberdeen as 4th. Then there s those who mix up Queens Park and QPR so that counts as 5th?

Very disrespectful to the Rangers fans to say that Hearts are the 3rd force.

You'll be on the list now.

3 hours ago, Batzek-osemba said:

People rately know anything about scottish football here in Germany. A good portion locates the old firm in England. So those who know a bit about it probably know hearts as 3rd force and aberdeen as 4th. Then there s those who mix up Queens Park and QPR so that counts as 5th?

I would hope that some older fans of Borussia Moenchengladbach would remember Utd.  We put them out twice as well, just like Barca.  

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I would hope that some older fans of Borussia Moenchengladbach would remember Utd.  We put them out twice as well, just like Barca.  

Yeah, older fans will remember teams like Utd & Aberdeen from the 80s. Even Barcelona & Real Madrid fans !

On 07/09/2016 at 1:35 AM, fringo said:

Yeah, older fans will remember teams like Utd & Aberdeen from the 80s. Even Barcelona & Real Madrid fans !

My first euro double header was United V Gladbach in the UEFA Cup '87. 0-0 at tannadice then the bus to gladbach, aged 19 and my first time out of the bosom of the UK. Immense. To win 0-2 away from home, drinking great beer, in a euro semi-final was the stuff of dreams and i thought it was going to last forever. How wrong I was. Even when united got cheated by roma and the ref in the european cup semi final I thought, 'aw well, we'll get there next year'. !!!

Well I generally know of overseas teams from via European competitions especially with Scottish clubs, so it depends who you play and some will loom larger than others.

You could be passing through Belgium and suddenly see a station Mechelen and realise you know the name. Or realise you know that Craiova has a university (and, is a place, at all), because they once played Dundee United (it seems they are now defunct - the club not the university). And what about TNS (Total Network Solutions), Videoton, Anorthosis Famagusta, etc...

So I'd have thought Aberdeen and Dundee United would be better known than Hibs and Hearts on grounds of European exposure. But by that argument, clubs like Gretna and Queen of the South could be better known than larger rivals.

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd take the 1st qualifying round these days! 

Leipzig, Gent and Antwerp (8-2!) were teams we put out that season. How times have changed!

I mind on holiday in Munich in 1992 we got talking to an old boy in the Lowenbrauhaus (probably the same age I am now :-)) ) and it turned out he was an Eintracht Frankfurt fan and had been at the first leg v Killie in 1964-65! He was still reeling from the second leg defeat nearly 30 years on :)

At France 98 we were in Nice and nearly got into a fight with an OGC Nice fan who got very aggressive when I told him I supported Kilmarnock. Apparently we were a team of animals who had injured a couple of their best players...