My Apology - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Apology

I was wrong in confidently predicting 60% Yes.

I'm sorry if I misled people.

My neighbours are still my neighbours, my niece is still my niece and we must accept that the majority have spoken and accept this decision with the grace that we would have expected to be shown if Yes had won.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbours are still my neighbours, my niece is still my niece and we must accept that the majority have spoken and accept this decision with the grace that we would have expected to be shown if Yes had won.

Can you please explain about grace to the Smugs on tv please

It's commendable but it's still a humping. Given how the night went, it was much worse than 45% - that actually feels like a good result in the end! Save from one or two bright lights in Glasgow, Dundee, etc, turnout in Glasgow was poor, turnout in Dundee was poor, Fife, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Perth, Stirling, not even in the right ball park.

The raw end result might look no bad, especially if you consider where we've come from, but having watch it unfold, I can assure you it was a humping.

I still cannot forget the confidence that oozed through No campaign from about 22.45pm based on nothing but that YouGov poll. And it was pretty accurate. How that is possible is beyond me.

I still cannot forget the confidence that oozed through No campaign from about 22.45pm based on nothing but that YouGov poll. And it was pretty accurate. How that is possible is beyond me.

It would appear that pretty much all the polls were accurate in the run up to the vote. We all thought that they were off but we were proved wrong.

No apologies needed.

Guys like you Flure did an amazing, selfless job and all of us who are Yes supporters thank you for it.

To get 45% of the population in an inherently conservative(small c) country like Scotland...with the might of the establishment against you....to vote for independence is a remarkable feat.

You should be proud.

Commiserations Flure, people like yourself, Cove etc that I know & know how hard you've worked for the campaign I feel genuinely gutted for this morning (although our views on the referendum may not have agreed).

This is not the end though, IMO it's the start of the next step that will lead to another referendum & possibly a different outcome within 10 years. The Yes campaign will have learned from this campaign & can only get stronger.

45%.

That's 45% who will never trust the BBC again.

I've always thought that if we shyted this vote, there would be another - but not until another decade or two of Thatcher-like asset stripping of Scotland, a lot of anger and disruption from disillusioned no voters, when instead we had it offered to us nice and easy last night.

You all did a great job against the odds. The establishment and all its forces will be against you, but you kept it clean and honourable.

Revolution by democratic means is not easy. Peoples default is the status quo, but hope over fear will win in the end.

Wee Ginger Dug says the tide has gone out, but will return.

We stand on the shore of the sea loch, and watch the tide go out. Now is the time to shelter the flame of hope from the howling gale. No has won through fear and threats of loss. But the dream is not dead, the dream still lives within the hearts and minds of hundreds of thousands who refused to be bowed by fear, who refused to succumb to the one sided stories of the self-interested. It is not a dream that will be forgotten. The flame of hope still burns within.

I’ve already lost this year. I’ve already had to grieve. But I will not grieve for Scotland, because Scotland still lives and hope still lives within me. I do not feel ashamed for the shame of others. Now is a time for building, for defending what we have built, for ensuring that the politicians keep their worthless words. We achieved so much with so little, we learned how to organise ourselves, and we must use those skills to maintain the pressure for change. I didn’t come this far only to give up now. It is only if you slink away that they will have won. We cannot go back into the shortbread tin. We have outgrown it.

It was always a big ask, to break through generations of apathy at the first attempt, to leap the prison walls of cynicism in a single bound. In the end we could not overcome the weight of a media almost uniformly opposed to change, and because of that a million minds remained closed and out of reach. We have a media overwhelmingly owned and controlled outside Scotland. A media that speaks for the established interests and is beamed into the shortbread tin, where it turns a debate on national self-determination into a warning about the price of car insurance. They ensured the debate revolved around money, and ignored morality.

For all Westminster’s talk of home rule, they’re keeping their paws firmly on the TV remote control. Now we all know why. It allows them to set the agenda. So we must build a new media, one that truly represents the diversity of this land and gives a space to Scotland’s voices, and take it beyond the internet, onto the TV screens, into the press, into every street, into every home. It must be owned and controlled within Scotland. We have work to do.

The Labour party must be held to account. No more can they claim to stand shoulder to shoulder with the poor and the excluded. No more can they claim to represent the working classes. No more will they leech moral authority from our struggles, sucking the life blood from change, managing the expectations of working class people. Labour is a creature of the bosses and the banks. It is the problem, not the solution. Labour cannot claim to defend us from the Tories after they and the Tories stood side by side. I will never vote for them again. Labour for Indy must consider their future. Perhaps it’s time for a new party of the left in Scotland. Independence cannot be the preserve of just one large party. It must be a broad based national movement, and be seen to be such. We have work to do.

I will scoff at the pride of those who are proud to be small, proud to be bullied. Proud not to think, proud to eat their cereal. And I will have the pride that comes from knowing that I stood with my sisters and brothers and dared to hope and dream of something better. The hoping and dreaming doesn’t end here. It has only just begun. A set back is not a death, a defeat is not annihilation. This is not the path over the mountain, but we have learned how to climb. We must climb to another path. We have work to do.

I have work to do. I must build a new life for myself. I must learn to be me after decades of we. But hope still burns within me. My life with Andy has left me strong enough to face the challenges that lie ahead, it gives me the resolve to build a new future. These past few months and years have given Scotland the strength and resolve to face the challenges that lie ahead. We will survive. We will flourish. We will strengthen our roots and grow.

No struggle for civil rights or reaching for self-determination achieves its goal easily. There are losses along the way. Take time to mourn and cry. Take time to grieve and weep. But guard the flame of hope within you, it is the cure for your wounds. It will see you through the dark nights. It will give you the resolve to go on. The future still waits for you, and it still burns bright with hope.

The tide goes out. The tide will return. Stand on the shore undaunted and unafraid, building for the future, and waiting the tide’s return. The high tide will come again. But we have work to do.

Flure, I never shared your optimism, always thought it would be a No (so did Salmond in my opinion, but that's another matter), but those who worked so hard in a wonderful campaign should be proud. To get to where we did, when you consider where Scotland was two years ago, far less 10 years back, is a remarkable effort. Run against the might of the 3 main UK parties and an almost entirely hostile media, the campaign became a grass-roots movement, across most political parties (and beyond), and it sparked off a genuine engagement with political debate by many who had previously had no interest in politics. The positivism of the Yes campaign was in marked contrast to most of what came out of BT, and this is one of the main reasons for such a huge turn out. The genie is out of the bottle now anyway, when Westminster doesn't deliver on what was pledged by Cameron and his pals last week, the Tory party gets to work on Barnett, and the rest of the austerity measures kick in, people will remember what happened last night. Well done.

We dared to dream. No apologies required. The positive enthusiasm of Yes was beautifully honest. It was a wonderful campaign and it changed us all for the better. I'm proud of Yes and all of us who believe in a better Scotland and a better world, well we're not going anywhere. 1.6 million people said Yes. Our dreams and hopes are only temporarily shattered.

It'll take a while to get over this, I'm gutted, but we will not go away.

Edited by Jonny

I had no great interest in politics before this referendum. I done my research and didn't relise how much the establishment lie and spin things to suit their own agenda. How much of a monster the mainstream media is.

It's amazing what you find when you look into thing and will never trust them again.

It's guys like Flure that have made people sit up and take notice and for that I thankyou.