My Apology - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Apology

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the big thing for me - too many people worried about being plunged back into financial chaos. It might still happen, but we're on our way out of it the way we're going.

So, greed, basically.

People all over the world have given their lives for various independence movements.

But if your house price goes down a wee bit, it.

So, greed, basically.

People all over the world have given their lives for various independence movements.

But if your house price goes down a wee bit, badger it.

:ok: The argument I've been making all along. People mostly assumed as an employee of HM Forces I'd vote No to protect my job. This was always far bigger than personal gains or losses. Unfortunately the majority of us were too faint of heart to agree. :worried:

So, greed, basically.

But if your house price goes down a wee bit, badger it.

If that's what you think I mean, that's up to you. I've stated my individual case on here & in person to several people on here over the last wee while, but if you think it's just about the price of my house then carry on :ok:

Nae need to apologise Flure. The work done by volunteers like yourself during this campaign has been inspirational. It is such a shame that it was ultimately for nothing but you and each and every one of us who helped out, even in a small way, should feel proud. We were always up against it and in the face of that to get as far as we did was an achievement.

And you are right, we need to put the result behind us and carry on living together. For many, that will be easier said than done though.

This is what I've been pondering also. I don't get it.

The canvassing data was often carried out on very small numbers. I know when I canvassed, quite a few folk said they didn't want to speak to us (which is fair enough, of course). These people just weren't factored in, rather than being classed Don't Knows for example, so it could be that some formed part of the so-called 'silent majority'. If so, I really wish they'd stayed silent yesterday too. :(

If that's what you think I mean, that's up to you. I've stated my individual case on here & in person to several people on here over the last wee while, but if you think it's just about the price of my house then carry on :ok:

good, you voted for yourself - understandable, I think many did.

its just a shame more could not have voted for others, and care more for society and democracy as a whole. but to be glad to remain in such an unequal society is baffling for me, despite the fact a yes result may have impacted my currently comfortable life.

Exactly. Those living in areas like Morningside then everything is hunky-dory as things are and getting better and that is all they are interested in. Others that voted no would be royalists petrified that independence whould be one step closer to ridding Scotland of their wet dream (the royal family) and the rest fell foul to scaremongering and just not having the confidence to say yes.

I was wrong in confidently predicting 60% Yes.

I'm sorry if I misled people.

My neighbours are still my neighbours, my niece is still my niece and we must accept that the majority have spoken and accept this decision with the grace that we would have expected to be shown if Yes had won.

Flure,

Genuinely feel for you blokes Ive been reading this board for a few years and I get how much independence means to many of you. I may have disagreed with some of the arguments that have been put forward but I dont doubt Scotland could be a viable independent country.

As you said life goes on..

good, you voted for yourself - understandable, I think many did.

its just a shame more could not have voted for others, and care more for society and democracy as a whole. but to be glad to remain in such an unequal society is baffling for me, despite the fact a yes result may have impacted my currently comfortable life.

TBH I had to take into account my family & staff - some people might not agree with that & that's up to them. I was very close to changing at the last minute, but went with my head over my heart in the end - even now (and probably for a while to come) I have doubts over my vote.

In hindsight it was a tough sell. At least we got a vote, something I didn't think we would get.

I'm proud to have been part of the process, as should you be Flure, although you done a hell of a lot more than me.

It wasn't to be for various reasons, at least we had 3 years of hope.

On canvassing I had a couple of concerns. Quantifying voting intention on a canvas is prone to error on the part of the canvasser and the voter - the former might over-estimate a voters intention and the voter might flippantly over-commit. Also, the canvassing returns didnt quantify the doors that went unanswered meaning there was a large block who were unknown. As an example, in a knock up yesterday morning in a social deprived area of Edinburgh (an area we really needed to be doing well in), the knock up represented about half of the eligible voters. The canvas return probably looked great but half of our potential vote hadnt indicated a leaning to Yes or even bothered to answer the door.

Now Im not suggesting the canvassing was totally wrong, but I do think there were signs that it was being over-cooked. While it loathe's me to say it, I think there were a "silent majority" out there who hadnt engaged with canvassing.

Also, Yes made a huge play about their target demographic being more motivated to vote. I think that turned out to be over-cooked too. When it came to the crunch, the social demographic voting No - wealthier, more educated, politically aware - understood the importance of getting out to vote and had the motivation and means to do so. On the other hand, when it came to the crunch, the social demographic voting Yes - less wealthy, less aware of the consequences of not voting, more domestic pressures preventing them from voting - found it harder to marks those ballots.

Im not saying the Yes vote collapsed, but it certainly didnt hold up and might never have been quite what we thought it was. Add in the bombardment over the last two weeks and the writing was on the wall.

knows what we do from here but no Yes campaigner should feel they came up short. We met the full might of the British state and then some. 45% is an incredible achievement.