Oliver Burke - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

Stuart87

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe what's worse from Hartson because we don't get German footbal why'd you go there.......Mon night ITV4 have a highlight show and BT sport show games.  Or being amazed someone wouldn't join West Brom or Sunderland......what young player wants to play under Pulis and who'd join the sinking ship of Sunderland!  Hartson is an idiot.

An asset to the squad for this campaign, promising start to his Leipzig career too. We're in good nick on that right side with Snoddy, and even Forrest is on good form at the moment. But i think Burke has to play on the right if he plays.

7 hours ago, davew said:

The Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhüttl was on telly saying that they paid a huge amount of money for Burke because he has huge potential, but that as far as his positional sense when not in possession, he's like a blank slate; he's been taught nothing. Hasenhüttl is known to have his teams press the opposition when they don't have the ball, so players switching off when not in possession is not something he'll accept. He went on to say that it will take a little time to get Burke up to level that he can contribute for 90 minutes.

Pity we can't get him to organize the Scotland defence.

6 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

Like England has a claim on all English players.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Born in Scotland. What's your point caller?

Oliver could play for England thru the School route, he was born in Scotland but went to England before starting School, and as such spent all his school years in England, England therefore had a right to pick him.

This was the 'Andy Driver(mind him) Rule....

3 minutes ago, stocky said:

Oliver could play for England thru the School route, he was born in Scotland but went to England before starting School, and as such spent all his school years in England, England therefore had a right to pick him.

This was the 'Andy Driver(mind him) Rule....

he's really English isn't he

fully raised in England

English accent

likes pork scratching's

English

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

he's really English isn't he

fully raised in England

English accent

likes pork scratching's

English

Not according to his Scottish dad.  Oh, plus he was born in Scotland.  And he knocked back an approach from Allardyce to switch.  Plus, according to his Dad, he was only going to play for Scotland. 

I don't see what the issue is.  

2 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

Yet another thread turning into a 'is he Scottish/English debate?' So bloody boring. He wanted to play for Scotland, he's now played a competitive cap for Scotland, surely that's the end of it. 

Agreed , coming from corby where many many of us have exactly the same start , born in Scotland moved down early in life with the family , just been to malta and saw loads from corby , some on here have very small insular minds that  can't get past not having the same accent as them , and of course some scottish accents are stronger than others , so are the stronger accents more scottish ?!

Burke has lived almost his whole life in England, brought up in an entirely english household (his parents having seperated and been moved down with his mother to England when an infant) he's learnt the game entirely in England, only commited to Scotland at under-19 level having been ignored by England before then (and no I cannot swallow that he wasn't considered good enough for the Scotland youth teams) and he is quoted as giving his reason for declaring for Scotland that it was his best chance of getting international football (read easiest).

That doesn't mean he's not entitled to play for us or that I wouldn't pick him but can we please not delude ourselves as to how he got here.

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:40 PM, adamntg said:

Not according to his Scottish dad.  Oh, plus he was born in Scotland.  And he knocked back an approach from Allardyce to switch.  Plus, according to his Dad, he was only going to play for Scotland. 

I don't see what the issue is.  

Did Allardyce approach him? Missed that completely if he did

2 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Did Allardyce approach him? Missed that completely if he did

Ollie turned down several attempts to tempt him to play for England, with their new national boss Sam Allardyce trying to persuade him. Jasen said: “I don’t see any other decision he could have made.

“Of course I’ve got an input but he’s his own man and he’ll make his own mind 
up. I’m exceptionally patriotic so he knew where I stood – there’s no doubt about that.

“I couldn’t see him playing for England – there was no danger of that. I obviously had an influence but he was brought up a Scot. He made up his own mind.

“I can’t comment on how hard England tried. When he comes to writing his 
memoirs, I’m sure there’ll be plenty to be said about it.”

From the Record, so pinch of salt...

Usually people just moaning for the sake of moaning, ffs what's the big deal?!  A Scottish born player playing for Scotland...... :0 you're right it's utter madness, I give up supporting Scotland with this outrageous behaviour, imagine picking players born in this country the World has gone mad!!!!

On 9/13/2016 at 9:56 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Burke is Scottish and his commitment was never in question.

Are some idiots seriously suggesting he's not ?

Aye, very bizarre. Was born here to Scottish parents and learly considers himself Scottish.

11 hours ago, mcnish said:

Burke has lived almost his whole life in England, brought up in an entirely english household (his parents having seperated and been moved down with his mother to England when an infant) he's learnt the game entirely in England, only commited to Scotland at under-19 level having been ignored by England before then (and no I cannot swallow that he wasn't considered good enough for the Scotland youth teams) and he is quoted as giving his reason for declaring for Scotland that it was his best chance of getting international football (read easiest).

That doesn't mean he's not entitled to play for us or that I wouldn't pick him but can we please not delude ourselves as to how he got here.

Are we allowed to see the quote where he says Scotland is his best (easiest) chance of international football?

11 hours ago, mcnish said:

What a heap of gobshite.

So do we denigrate Scots who came through youth systems in England of old or who blossomed at English clubs - of course not. Andy Murray learnt his trade in Spain but it makes him no less a Scot - it makes him determined to sacrifice a lot to get where he is today. Likewise with Burke - after all if all his schoolpals or English then surely the easiest option would have been for him to play for England. The fact that he didn't tells us much more about where his loyalties lie thank you very much. 

12 hours ago, mcnish said:

total and utter pish