Greatest film ending - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Greatest film ending

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, neil r said:

Once Upon A Time In America.

Still never really worked it out.

Dont think we are supposed to

Leone deliberately wanted the ending to be ambigious and let everyone have their own interpretation leading to endless discussions about the film.

Even James Woods doesnt know.

13 hours ago, Rossy said:

Hard to beat 'The Usual Suspects'.

2 feckin hours of confusion make sense in the last 10 seconds.... :lol:

so do you think the whole story was fabricated, with a few small elements of the truth?

or do you think the whole story mainly true, with little lies and names etc lifted from various objects in sight??

Just now, Return of Yermaw said:

so do you think the whole story was fabricated, with a few small elements of the truth?

or do you think the whole story mainly true, with little lies and names etc lifted from various objects in sight??

I had always thought the latter until I saw this:

Brian Singer directed and Christopher McQuarrie wrote the screenplay for The Usual Suspects. [Spoilers to follow...1] After they finished the film, they realized that the two of them disagreed significantly on what exactly happened in the movie. Did Kint/Soze tell the truth or was his whole story a lie?

McQuarrie says only after finishing the film and preparing to do press interviews about it did he and Singer realize they both had completely different conceptions about the plot.

"I pulled Bryan aside the night before press began and I said, 'We need to get our stories straight because people are starting to ask what happened and what didn't,' " recalls McQuarrie. "And we got into the biggest argument we've ever had in our lives."

He continues: "One of us believed that the story was all lies, peppered with little bits of the truth. And the other one believed it was all true, peppered with tiny, little lies. ... We each thought we were making a movie that was completely different from what the other one thought."

I always assumed that Verbal was telling the truth the whole time, in the cavalier the-truth-can't-hurt-me manner of the movie master criminal

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Big Lebowski ending is pants

We never found out if they beat Jesus Quintana and Liam in the semis

You might find out soon.  http://www.empireonline.com/movies/big-lebowski/john-turturro-reportedly-now-filming-jesus-centric-big-lebowski-spin/

As for endings I'd suggest this one from one of my favourite films.

On 18/08/2016 at 10:44 AM, Pool Q said:

Planet of the Apes and Chinatown are good shouts. Some of my favourite films have great endings - Shane, The Big Lebowski, Casablanca and The Third Man. 

Apart from Rick's speech the ending has all these quotes...

"Here's looking at you kid"

"Round up the usual suspects"

and my favourite, "We'll always have Paris" :)