Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 56 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

10 hours ago, Marky said:

Tom Cairney excellent again today for Fulham. Every time I've seen that lad play he looks superb.

Even in that abysmal friendly against Canada he was still head and shoulders about the rest (although I accept that wouldn't be difficult).

Cairney undoubtedly deserves more opportunities to show what he can do. Should have already been in our team two or three years ago.

Want to see him and Armstrong in the same starting XI and see what happens.

18 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Been very impressed with Callum McGregor this season. He can play a veriety of positions and would rather see him on the left than Matt Ritchie or probably even Robert Snodgrass on current form.

I'd call up Ryan Fraser, John McGinn, Jamie Walker, Barrie McKay, Chris Cadden, Sam Nicholson and Ryan Christie before even considering McGregor. A poor player.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Cairney undoubtedly deserves more opportunities to show what he can do. Should have already been in our team two or three years ago.

Want to see him and Armstrong in the same starting XI and see what happens.

I'd call up Ryan Fraser, John McGinn, Jamie Walker, Barrie McKay, Chris Cadden, Sam Nicholson and Ryan Christie before even considering McGregor. A poor player.

Mcgregor is the sort of player who will flatter to deceive in a good team, would agree with the above apart from sam nicholson who has been garbage for ages, and ignorantly i have never heard of chris cadden. 

59 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Let's wait till McGinn plays against professional footballers before we gauge how good he is.

Still can't believe he gets a regular call up. Bizarre.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of McGinn's credentials, that is an utterly idiotic thing to say.

3 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

Mcgregor is the sort of player who will flatter to deceive in a good team, would agree with the above apart from sam nicholson who has been garbage for ages, and ignorantly i have never heard of chris cadden. 

Very promising twenty year old midfielder at currently at Motherwell. He's still got a long way to go but keep an eye on him.

4 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

You're right about McGregor.  Runs about a lot and looks ok in a team that dominates its matches but has nowhere near the quality to play international football.

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It's a tongue in cheek remark, relax.

No Scottish championship player should be anywhere near the national team.

It wasn't a tongue in cheek comment. A tongue in cheek comment would have some basis in reality.

Call it a silly, childish comment and we'll agree and put the matter to bed and say no more about it.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

It wasn't a tongue in cheek comment. A tongue in cheek comment would have some basis in reality.

Call it a silly, childish comment and we'll agree and put the matter to bed and say no more about it.

Haha whatever makes you happy.

In my defence there is usually a semi-pro team in that league; Dumbarton are this year, Alloa were the year before etc!

In any case, the point is that players playing at that low a level can't realistically have their performances gauged well enough to earn a call up.

Jason Cummings is another one - Scores goals but at that level. See how he gets on next year against better opposition and if he can still score high teens of goals then fair play.

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I'd rather some Hibs players from the Scottish Championship be called up that some of the same old dross from the English Championship. a good international manager should spot the potential of any player regardless of who the opposition is. 

Tend to agree. Usual suspects all too quick to slag our domestic game. 

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I'd rather some Hibs players from the Scottish Championship be called up that some of the same old dross from the English Championship. a good international manager should spot the potential of any player regardless of who the opposition is. 

Out of curiosity who are these dross players?

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Yep. But as usual EmbarrassedScot can't see past his beloved England. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Yep. But as usual EmbarrassedScot can't see past his beloved England. 

Saying Callum McGregor or players playing at a better level than John McGinn should be called up has nothing to do with playing in England 

Edited by ProudScot

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Out of curiosity who are these dross players?

God, where to start; off the top of my head and over Strachan's tenure - Hutton, Martin, Greer, Hanley, Forsyth, the snail paced Ritchie, Fletcher.......

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Saying Callum McGregor or players playing at a better level than John McGinn should be called up has nothing to do with playing in England 

you're obsessed about a perception of playing at a higher level. use your eye to judge the ability of a player - not what he does against Burton Albion.....

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

God, where to start; off the top of my head and over Strachan's tenure - Hutton, Martin, Greer, Hanley, Forsyth, the snail paced Ritchie, Fletcher.......

you're obsessed about a perception of playing at a higher level. use your eye to judge the ability of a player - not what he does against Burton Albion.....

You're an idiot and it's fun watching you repeatedly prove it haha!

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Funny when you said it I thought of Bannan Anya and Naismith. Really don't think he has had much choice about the defenders (add Berra) and we will have to agree to disagree about Ritchie. You can also add a goalie to that.

Your right though the same old dross from the championship or SPFL( Wallace, Forrest) should be reduced and less experienced players called up to at least be part of the squad and see the set up. Which probably brings us back to the likes of  McGregor ,McGinn and Cummings.

Personally don't understand why we select three keepers with a combined age of over 100, that is idiocy.

57 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Bates isn't good.  Beerman is good but unfortunately he's not Scottish.

The clean sheet stat means he must be brilliant though.........

Admittedly I've not seen the guy play but you can hardly say he's been great because he's had 3 clean sheets! 

You can make 20 mistakes in a game and not be punished by a goal, or play a great game and either a fantastic goal or another individuals mistake can cost you the clean sheet. I certainly wouldn't be judging the guy on the fact that he's been part of a team that has kept 3 clean sheets.

Hopefully he develops into a Scotland stalwart in the future anyway!