Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 48 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Starting to think Rhodes might be our best bet(despite never really rating him) every other alternative up front leads to Chris Martin.

Yeah I'm starting to think the same.

Fletcher, Naismith, Griffiths, McCormack all off form/dropped.

If it's between Martin and Rhodes I'd go with the thinner option.

We've been convinced by Strachan and to a lesser degree Levein that Rhodes can't play up front on his own and isn't suited to international football.

Here's a novel idea, pick him, start him for 3 or 4 games in a row and if he doesn't produce then fair enough. But there's absolutely nothing to lose now.

2 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

We've been convinced by Strachan and to a lesser degree Levein that Rhodes can't play up front on his own and isn't suited to international football.

Here's a novel idea, pick him, start him for 3 or 4 games in a row and if he doesn't produce then fair enough. But there's absolutely nothing to lose now.

I don't think "we" have been convinced of that. Just the managers.

Many of us have wanted Rhodes to be given a decent chance in the last few years.

On 12/02/2017 at 0:07 AM, Bino's said:

agree

we've seen Rhodes as almost a nuisance

if he was northern Irish he'd have 50 caps

Agreed. The fact he doesn't make the squad let alone the team behind the likes of Fletcher and Martin is a fücking disgrace. Only Scotland could have a guy that if playing every week will easily score 20+ goals a season and not play him.

I can see why managers think Rhodes isn't worth playing (unless you are sure your team will be on top and getting lots of balls into the box) BUT do any of our other strikers effectively hold the ball up? Do any of them contribute so much more that it is better to play them rather than a 'goal hanger'. If Rhodes barely touches the ball but scores then isn't he contributing more than our current strikers who simply cannot put the ball into the net? Griffiths being the latest to fluff half chances v Engalnd. 

On 12/02/2017 at 11:05 PM, ProudScot said:

Rhodes is the only striker playing who isn't Chris Martin.

may aswell play him 

Fletcher had just finished his suspension. That suspension aside, he's only not played in 2 league games this season. He'll be in the squad tonight and I'll be surprised if he doesn't play. Both Wednesday's strikers in the last game scored, so there's a chance he doesn't start on that basis, but he's a regular, no question.

chris martin hasnt scored a league goal for fulham for a month and was dropped last week

hoping for more tomorrow to be honest

want to see rhodes given a chance

would be happier seeing fletcher there too with him as rhodes/fletcher sure to be developing some kind iof relationship at club level

griffiths is just gone afraid, should have sought a loan move in the window