NFL Thread 2016/17 - Page 15 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2016/17

The Giant

On 10/25/2017 at 5:04 AM, The Giant said:

Well the chargers game was a good experience/ day out and a bad game. Was about 38 degrees at kick off, and no shade! Going to see the chargers again this weekend at Gillette, will hopefully be a better game.

Decent game but Chargers blew what chances they had. The punt return for a Safety is one of the dumbest plays i've ever seen. 

Hope you had a good day, despite the incessant rain! 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big day for Dallas and Zeke Elliiott. Today a NYC court will decide whether the 6 game suspension the NFL have tried to impose on him will start immediately, or whether he will be cleared to play for the season. 

After their performance last night in DC, they seem to be building a bit of momentum. If they can keep Zeke for the year, they really do have a chance to make a big run in to the post season. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyshaker said:

No rumours around about 2018 London games yet? Is it next year where they are supposed to be starting using White Hart Lane (if it's ready!)?

There are a lot of ructions going on inside and out of the NFL at the moment

The NFL has had some major body blows recently and it has been damaged to an extent nobody ever thought would happen.

The player protests seems to have been the straw that broke the camel's cack with millions of Americans but even before then there were issues over the shame of them hiding the CTE discoveries and new player protection rules which has affected the level of play. 

That being said the NFL is still in a position of power compared to other American sports but thats doesnt get away from the fact that at the moment it's going backwards

If the money over ratings men win the day there will still be games in London and elsewhere

If those that are more concerned with the product and ratings manage to reel them back a bit then there is going to be casualties and you can take your pick from the Thursday night game, Late Sunday night game and overseas games 

The late Sunday night game is in danger the least as it's usually attractive fixtures that are scheduled but both the Thursday night and London games have been fiercely criticised over the standard of play

Would seem to be that there may be about to be a cyclical change in the NFL in the NFC at least - the Packers, Seahawks and Giants are all flailing 

The AFC is shit - exemplified by the Steelers currently being the number 1 seeds 

The Patriots look decidedly average and are only one knock on 40 year old Brady from oblivion  

If someone wants to give me £100 i would put it on the Eagles right now with them likely having home field advantage through the play offs 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Would seem to be that there may be about to be a cyclical change in the NFL in the NFC at least - the Packers, Seahawks and Giants are all flailing 

The AFC is shit - exemplified by the Steelers currently being the number 1 seeds 

The Patriots look decidedly average and are only one knock on 40 year old Brady from oblivion  

If someone wants to give me £100 i would put it on the Eagles right now with them likely having home field advantage through the play offs 

Eagles are looking good, but there are still a number of teams that might just click for a good run in the second half of the season (e.g. If the Raiders offense clicks they could run to a 10 win season and be a threat in the postseason). Eagles have never won it though, so that'd be a good one to see in the Superbowl.

I still think the Cowboys could make a run. Their schedule is tough but if they can make it in to the post-season (i'm assuming Zeke won't now play until week 16) then they have the offense to beat anyone. And now that their D is stepping up and starting to make plays, they could be right in the mix. Especially with a fresh Zeke, who'll have a point to prove. 

I do think for the Pats it's just all about getting to the post-season. Brady and Bellichick have done this often enough to know how to get it done in the post-season and will no doubt peak for January. 

The Eagles are playing some great stuff right now and with the addition of Ajayi just gave opposing defences something else to worry about, when there was already a lot to be concerned with. 

The Saints are also clicking. They finally seem to have found both a ground game and a defense (Lattimore looks like an incredible talent, a very strong contender for Defensive ROTY as things stand) and combining those with Drew Brees' talents, makes them a real threat. 

23 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Saints keep rolling with 6 (SIX) running touchdowns. Who would have thought such a thing was possible a couple of seasons ago :lol:

Not the guy who has Drew Brees as his fantasy QB.... :( 

23 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Falcons were all over Dak last night.

They weren't half! Dallas need Tyrone Smith back, they cannot go in to games with Chas Green at left-tackle again, he got utterly destroyed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 10:55 AM, Parklife said:

Not the guy who has Drew Brees as his fantasy QB.... :( 

They weren't half! Dallas need Tyrone Smith back, they cannot go in to games with Chas Green at left-tackle again, he got utterly destroyed. 

Our Cowboys are blowing out their arses at the moment!  Cant see past the Eagles winning it this year, although the Vikings seem to be putting a good run together. 

1 hour ago, giblet said:

Our Cowboys are blowing out their arses at the moment!  Cant see past the Eagles winning it this year, although the Vikings seem to be putting a good run together. 

Yup. Really struggling without Tyrone Smith. He’s expected to play tonight and boy is he needed. Probably a win or done game tonight. 

1 hour ago, giblet said:

Anyone playing NFL fantasy leagues?  totally got into them now, much better than the Barclays premier league one.   

Yup. In one. Currently sitting at 7-4. Despite having no high scoring running backs. Really need to try and recruit one prior to the play offs. How’s yours going? 

The Cowboys are having a worse Thanksgiving than the Jets buttfumble debacle in 2012

Stupidly i had them in a line

The Chargers dont even have a kicker

On 23/11/2017 at 3:23 PM, Parklife said:

Yup. Really struggling without Tyrone Smith. He’s expected to play tonight and boy is he needed. Probably a win or done game tonight. 

Yup. In one. Currently sitting at 7-4. Despite having no high scoring running backs. Really need to try and recruit one prior to the play offs. How’s yours going? 

8-3 in one here and 5-6 with one with my US colleagues.  

Managed to have Leveon Bell and the Gronk in my Uk league team. Basically 35 points guaranteed a week!

On 11/23/2017 at 1:31 PM, giblet said:

Anyone playing NFL fantasy leagues?  totally got into them now, much better than the Barclays premier league one.   

I'm doing one at work for the first time this year and I've really enjoyed it, much better than the English PL one like you say.

Currently 8-3 and top of my conference, 101 - 78 up this week with 2 players still to play. I've been really lucky with RBs, which is good considering my only objective in the draft was to get Matt Ryan! 

On 27/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Johnnyshaker said:

I'm doing one at work for the first time this year and I've really enjoyed it, much better than the English PL one like you say.

Currently 8-3 and top of my conference, 101 - 78 up this week with 2 players still to play. I've been really lucky with RBs, which is good considering my only objective in the draft was to get Matt Ryan! 

Have Ryan as well, keep hoping he scores like last season, lost BT my patience!

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, McDange said:

A wee drizzle of the white stuff and fitba gets abandonned - crazy scenes 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJox-O9H0c 

That was mental. I can see why they play - both teams have the same conditions and the best team emerges - but are the fans really getting value for money? 

I have friends in Wisconsin who had family members at the number one game on this list of coldest games ever, -13 degrees, with -36 wind chill.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/the-coldest-games-in-green-bay-packers-history/collection_2bb8b30c-dab1-11e7-ba95-4f52b5e721cd.html#12

I know regular season form can always be a banana skin for picking the outright winners of the SB but IMO last night's game with the Dolphins and Pats ..and indeed Sunday's Steelers v Raiders game .. emphasises my view that the AFC this year is pretty average even ignoring the AFC South which is always crappola and is currently headed by the awful Jaguars.

I cannot believe that the Patriots 9/4 and the Steelers 5/1 are the first and second favourites to win it and can only imagine it's because of their chances of reaching the SB rather than winning it  

I was at the Metlife on Sunday for Giants vs Cowboys. Really enjoyed it. The tailgating before the game was much more than i expected. Every second car had a BBQ on the go and enough drink to launch a ship in. Music blaring from big speakers too, generally a great atmosphere. 

Cowboys were comfortable winners in the end, although were definitely made to work for it in the first half. Great experience. 

Now, if the Cowboys can win in Oakland on Sunday, they'll set up a massive game at home to Seattle on Christmas Eve, for which Zeke will be back. Cowboys sweeping the board and sneaking in to the play-offs at 10-6 is very much on. #12 coming back for Green Bay could throw a spanner in the works though... 

What a slate of games yesterday. All three uk televised games were tremendous. 

Controversy reigned in the Pats vs Steelers. Such a dramatic ending. The non-award of the TD for the Steelers was right by the rules imo but there’ll be a lot of debate on whether the rule should be changed. 

Dallas just edged a victory in a must win game in Oakland. Zeke back next week for a huge game vs Seattle before a trip to Philly, who’ll have nothing to play for and I expect will be resting a fair few starters. Ending the season 10-6 will give them a real chance of making the post season. Although it’s going to rely on Atlanta losing to both the saints and the panthers. 

It’s all over for Green Bay now. Rodgers looked rusty and made uncharacteristic mistakes. I expect he’ll sit out the last two games and ensure he doesn’t do more damage to himself 

22 minutes ago, biffer said:

How did the Raiders manage to lose that game. Jeez.

To be fair...Dallas should've tied the game up when they failed to convert a 3rd and goal from the 0.5 yard line and also when they dropped an easy INT early on in the Raiders' final drive. 

Once all that had happened though, Derek Carr totally threw the win away. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

To be fair...Dallas should've tied the game up when they failed to convert a 3rd and goal from the 0.5 yard line and also when they dropped an easy INT early on in the Raiders' final drive. 

Once all that had happened though, Derek Carr totally threw the win away. 

Raiders also missed a straightforward field goal in the first half, so it could've been 20-20 at that point.