NFL Thread 2016/17 - Page 14 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2016/17

The Giant

I quite fancy Baltimore for this one.

Haven't been down to NFL London before and never will until they get the bears over which will likly never happen. Read somewhere before that there continued exclusion is down to not having cheerleaders bizarrely. Have any of the others without cheerleaders ever played there?:S

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/09/2017 at 8:39 AM, Parklife said:

Really looking forward to heading down to the game this weekend. Not quite sure that Baltimpre vs Jacksonville will be the best game but will be a great day out none the less.

It's all just a prelude to going to NYC to see Cowboys @ Giants at the Met-Life in December though, for me. Fair to say that i'm counting down the weeks already!  

that game against Giants is a great one to be at.  Decent hatred between them and us.  

the fan zone on Oxford Street looks good but you have to pay £17 just for that?

4 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

I quite fancy Baltimore for this one.

Haven't been down to NFL London before and never will until they get the bears over which will likly never happen. Read somewhere before that there continued exclusion is down to not having cheerleaders bizarrely. Have any of the others without cheerleaders ever played there?:S

It's kind of a moot point as there are a number of teams who would never give up a home game to play over here as they are guaranteed to sellout. The Bears are on the list along with teams such as Dallas, Green Bay, Pittsburgh as well as a few others. The only way you'd see Da Bears is if it was a scheduled road game such as the one they played over here in 2011 (I think it was) against Tampa Bay. The 'home' teams for the London games are the ones with little or no juice in their home market. Outfits like the Jags, Rams, Chargers, Dolphins etc are generally the home teams in these games.

Mind you if Da Bears keep serving up the tripe they have been during most of the Pace/Fox era then the Chi Town fans may actually thank the NFL if one of the home game did get played across the pond :lol:

On 21/09/2017 at 4:47 PM, morrie21 said:

It's kind of a moot point as there are a number of teams who would never give up a home game to play over here as they are guaranteed to sellout. The Bears are on the list along with teams such as Dallas, Green Bay, Pittsburgh as well as a few others. The only way you'd see Da Bears is if it was a scheduled road game such as the one they played over here in 2011 (I think it was) against Tampa Bay. The 'home' teams for the London games are the ones with little or no juice in their home market. Outfits like the Jags, Rams, Chargers, Dolphins etc are generally the home teams in these games.

Mind you if Da Bears keep serving up the tripe they have been during most of the Pace/Fox era then the Chi Town fans may actually thank the NFL if one of the home game did get played across the pond :lol:

They got such a good home support which I guess kinda makes sense for them not coming over. Your right though they are absolutely rancid and are somehow managing to get worse ever season for the past four!

10 hours ago, The Giant said:

I was at a tie last year! Just your luck I suppose. I was also at a Saints v Chargers game ages ago that finished about 35-32, probably the best London one I've been at.

Aye luck of the draw. Always a good day out nonetheless. 

Might try and pick up tickets for another game on the cheap and try and end the streak :lol:

On 24/09/2017 at 9:17 AM, Mazziessc said:

They got such a good home support which I guess kinda makes sense for them not coming over. Your right though they are absolutely rancid and are somehow managing to get worse ever season for the past four!

Good win yesterday though. Defence and running game look not too bad. Hope they give a good account of themselves against Green Bay on Thursday but not expecting a win.

• 3 weeks later...

1 week to go till the Rams v cardinals game. 

Anyone do the street party when down for the last games?

also, trying to remember where there is a huge sports bar that shows all the College games on a Saturday night.  It was near an overland station within the city, that's all I can remember!

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Kevin Cadle FFS 

Cant believe it 

Only 62

Yes just saw that a few minutes ago. Must've been some shock for his friends and family. Used to enjoy his presenting style and for many he would be the face of NFL coverage in the UK. He coached a basketball team in Falkirk in the 1980s also. RIP big man.

On 25/09/2017 at 3:37 PM, morrie21 said:

Good win yesterday though. Defence and running game look not too bad. Hope they give a good account of themselves against Green Bay on Thursday but not expecting a win.

and another! Slow but steady improvement. Is it too much to expect them to finish above bottom....

6 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Yes just saw that a few minutes ago. Must've been some shock for his friends and family. Used to enjoy his presenting style and for many he would be the face of NFL coverage in the UK. He coached a basketball team in Falkirk in the 1980s also. RIP big man.

Absolute shame, never knew much of him in basketball but was top class presenter on NFL. Some of skys football presenters could have learned a thing or two from him!

I guess that maybe explains his out of the blue Sky Sports NFL secretive missing in action from 2 years ago

I thought he didn't look that well when he came back for the play offs only for him to disappear again 

There was never any mention as to why he was replaced and he wouldn't answer it on twitter himself 

Still tweeted as if nothing was wrong - big Bills fan 

It's certainly taken my focus of the Patriots and Refs cheating to win - AGAIN ! 

3 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

and another! Slow but steady improvement. Is it too much to expect them to finish above bottom....

I don't think it is. Here's why  - the division looks wide open especially now with Rodgers going down with a bad injury in Green Bay. Yes those teams are ahead of us but I've seen nothing to suggest any of them can go on a tear and get to 11 or 12 wins. 

From the Bears point of view the switch to Trubisky has been done at the right time. Kid looks good. He needs slightly more consistent play from the O-line on passing plays and the receivers need to get open quicker for him but as the weeks pass and they get used to working more with each other I think this may happen.

Defensively we are just above average and probably can't afford any more injuries there so if we get some luck in that respect then yes I think avoiding last place in the NFC North is possible.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I guess that maybe explains his out of the blue Sky Sports NFL secretive missing in action from 2 years ago

I thought he didn't look that well when he came back for the play offs only for him to disappear again 

There was never any mention as to why he was replaced and he wouldn't answer it on twitter himself 

Still tweeted as if nothing was wrong - big Bills fan 

It's certainly taken my focus of the Patriots and Refs cheating to win - AGAIN ! 

That was all a bit of a mystery but I think initially they were unhappy with him for wanting to take time off to promote his book so they effectively axed him. As you said he returned for a few playoff games but was then permanently replaced for the following season. 

I remember the Thanksgiving games last season they sent him out to interview folk watching the games in a boozer and a table of people held up a "Bring Back Kev" sign every time the camera was on him. Good laugh because lets face it the girl they brought in to replace him may have been pretty but she was a hopeless presenter.

8 hours ago, The Giant said:

I'm going to see the chargers game this weekend, looking forward to it. It should be a surreal experience, in a small stadium full of away fans! 

Should be a good game. Shocker for the Broncos last night particularly with the players the Giants had out

Enjoy

The NFL is so unpredictable this year

Going to be a tribute to Kevin at Twickenham on Sunday

Will be an emotional day

Hitting a few sports bars in London today. Heard the Dugout at London Bridge is good.

probably heading to Marylebone sports bar again as had great College Football coverage last time I was there on the Saturday.

decent weekend of football matches as well, going to be a cracking time.

The Jets Forte & Powell back together for the first time since week 3

6/4 away to the Dolphins & Cutler

Edited by Ally Bongo

Wtf happened to the Cardinals?

from the point of missing a field goal in first drive it went downhill.  Rams were all over them and the second string QB for the Cardinals was terrible.

great experience down in Richmond.  The Old Ship Inn a pwrsonal favourite with rock music on all the time with a great beer garden.

The game day experience was good at the tailgate areas and prices were as you expect them to be.. very high.  Twickenham is a great stadium but was surprised how cramped the seats were.