Copenhagen - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Copenhagen

Fish Gills Mcginty

How about lunch in Sweden ? Central Station to Malmo takes about 30 mins, and you get to go via 'The Bridge' (Oresund). Pretty amazing when the train comes out a tunnel and you are all of a sudden on a bridge over the sea. Nice wee central square in Malmo about 5/10 mins walk from the station, good for a couple of beers and a bit of lunch.

Christiania is interesting. Similar tolerance to the sale and consumption of drugs as Amsterdam, but this was a few years ago so best check.

A visit to the famous Spunk Bar ?

The Irish pub in the pedestrian precinct used to be run by a scottish guy Dubliner maybe (on way to nyhaven) and their was a good Karaoke bar on same side nearer Nyhaven. ASK FOR DIRECTIONS TO The Moose for late drinking . ROSIE Mcgees can be ok for food and live music but its not a scotish bar as it advertises really more Irish.  The boat trips are ok but the mermaid is tiny .

Wife and I were in the Dubliner last December for a few afternoon drinks. Was really good. The day after we went back but there was a group of guys all dressed up as superheroes getting pished. Couldn't be bothered with them so gave it a miss. Flew home later that day and on MOTD that night it turned out the superheroes were Leicester City on their Xmas party! 

On 24/07/2016 at 3:24 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

How about lunch in Sweden ? Central Station to Malmo takes about 30 mins, and you get to go via 'The Bridge' (Oresund). Pretty amazing when the train comes out a tunnel and you are all of a sudden on a bridge over the sea. Nice wee central square in Malmo about 5/10 mins walk from the station, good for a couple of beers and a bit of lunch.

Christiania is interesting. Similar tolerance to the sale and consumption of drugs as Amsterdam, but this was a few years ago so best check.

Hahaha forgot aboot the spunk bar wiznae brave enough to huv a drink in it though. 

I lived in Copenhagen for 5 years up to 2012, it might have changed a bit since then but some I have jotted down some tips from my time there based on advice that I have given to others on here when visiting the city:

Touristy wise I would recommend the canal tour from Nyhavn, it is the best way of seeing a large part of the city in the space of an hour.

Other tourist things:

- Church of our Savior - Christianshavn, spiral staircase on the outside of the spire, great view

- Round Tower, also a good view from the top

- Christiania - hippy drugs commune

- Royal Palace & Marble Church

- Resistance Museum - they have the execution posts used during the Nazi occupation which is pretty eerie

- Little Mermaid, the statue itself is probably the most disappointing tourist attraction I have seen but there are a number of other statues around it which make up for walking out there, especially the Gefion fountain across from the big Maersk building which is pretty impressive 

My favourite Pub is Charlie Scotts on Skindegade, its a jazz pub but don't worry, I dont really have much time for jazz so I stuck to the downstairs pub where most of the expats hang out. Charlie himself is from Edinburgh and is a great laugh if he is serving. 

Other decent pubs are:

Dubliner on Amagertorv, Irish pub with music most nights. Owner is from Biggar.

Charlies Bar on Pilestraede, english beer pub, great beer of tap

Moose Bar, student pub, bit of a dive but cheapest bar in town

McJoys Choice on Nyhavn, a mock Scottish pub but at least has Scottish staff. Expensive.

Irish Rover on the main walking street, good fun, music most nights

The Globe at Norreport, another Irish Pub, good food and good for sport

Southern Cross on Longangstaerde, a great wee pub and worth the visit, an Aussie pub, very smoky but good pub

Rosie Mcgees on Vesterbrogade, good food, the nightclub gets quite lively at the wekend but quite expensive. 

Fermentoren on Halmtorvet, all small local brewery beers on tap, no Carlsberg here!

Avoid The Scottish Pub at all costs, it is crap and nothing Scottish about it!

Nightlife wise then I would suggest any of the above, most places will be open till 5am at least and often they wont even shut. If you are walking around the streets at that time trying to find somewhere then try The Viking House, its across the road from The Irish Rover on the main walking street, an alright place but only at 5am in the morning!

Food wise:

-Vessuvio on the main square beside Tivoli: Italian

-Mama Rosa on the main walking street: Does everthing

- Peder Oxe on Grabrodretorv: Good food and also a really good bar

- there is a street called Laederstrade behind the Dubliner with loads of good cafes

For cheap eats, CPH is not cheap for anything but if you want cheap and cheerful then I loved the Shawarma House towards the end of the main walking street, great kebabs! 

I would avoid eating or drinking on Nyhavn, it is very pretty and worth a visit but everything is overpriced and average quality. When I lived there, it was common place for people to finish work and head to Nyhavn to drink six packs of beer by the waters edge if the weather was nice, out door drinking is pretty much encouraged there! On the opposite side of the square from the top of Nyhavn you will see the start of the main walking street (Stroget), it is the longest pedestrian street in Europe, head up that street and you will be heading into the main action area. The street carries on for 2-3 miles, the Dubliner is half way down. Christianshavn and Islands Brugge are also nice to walk around.

Don't waste your time going to Malmo, yes it is quite quirky to take a train across the bridge to another country but it really doesn't have anything compared to Copenhagen.

PM me if you want any more details as I could write loads of stuff!

Edited by ALBANACH

On 24 July 2016 at 3:24 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

Done this last year and again in June, the difference in the prices is night and day though so be prepared to spend a fortune. 

Remember to take your passport with you though. Last year you could cross without and bother but now the train is stopped by the Swedish polis to check everyone's documentation 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Albanach, You put up a great post of places to visit in Copenhagen but I'd tell folk not to bother with McJoys. Its got the most obnoxious bar staff I've ever come across.Tripadvisor is full of people with similar experiences to mine.

I went in the other day, it was busy but not mobbed. Hardly anyone drinking. Just folk sitting hogging tables chatting. I stood at the bar for about 15/20 minutes waiting to get served, the barman never came near me - even when I was the only person standing at the bar. Gave up and left.

Went back the next day against my better judgement as there was game on I wanted to see. Gave up again after 32 minutes of standing waiting at the bar. (32 minutes had been played of the game) The barman made eye contact a couple of times but just ignored us again. 

Mcjoys calling itself a Scottish pub is an embarrassment to Scotland. It was the only negative during an otherwise great weekend away

• 3 months later...

Looking at going with the wife and my 3 year old for a city break. Been through Skyscanner and Easyjet etc. and reasonable flights seems to be first week in September. Would this be a decent time to go with regards the weather and any events occuring?

Been looking at the accommodation and even airbnb, everywhere is very expensive, even the rundown places, that I wouldnt have a problem staying during an away trip, but looking for something a but better for the family. I've seen the Crowne Plaza is a decent price, but a bit out of town, near the airport. Is public transport decent for this area? Any other recommendations would be welcomed!

I've seen you can get the Copenhagen Tickets for around £75 an adult (72 hours), which looks great value as it includes transport, and admission to the zoo, Tivoli Gardens and Sea Life centre etc.

Thanks!

On 4/7/2017 at 10:54 AM, Coldo said:

Looking at going with the wife and my 3 year old for a city break. Been through Skyscanner and Easyjet etc. and reasonable flights seems to be first week in September. Would this be a decent time to go with regards the weather and any events occuring?

Been looking at the accommodation and even airbnb, everywhere is very expensive, even the rundown places, that I wouldnt have a problem staying during an away trip, but looking for something a but better for the family. I've seen the Crowne Plaza is a decent price, but a bit out of town, near the airport. Is public transport decent for this area? Any other recommendations would be welcomed!

I've seen you can get the Copenhagen Tickets for around £75 an adult (72 hours), which looks great value as it includes transport, and admission to the zoo, Tivoli Gardens and Sea Life centre etc.

Thanks!

we used those in 1983 as kids - Tivoli was boring as a kid  - might fancy taking the kids round the sex shops - we had a right laugh as 13 year olds in our kilts getting kicked out  

Carlsberg Brewery Tour is good - I've always got hotels at not bad prices when been there  

On 07/04/2017 at 9:54 AM, Coldo said:

Thanks!

The airport is only 10-15 minutes train journey away from central station. 

I stayed in Cabbinn city two years ago which was reasonably priced, buffet breakfast, modern and clean. It's right next to the theme park and within walking distance to the main shopping streets aswell as Nyhavn (the wee balamory lookung bit you always see)