Strachan interview - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan interview

Toepoke

Just now, Parklife said:

Here's me thinking our defeat to Georgia happened when they ran right through the middle of the pitch... 

Don't recall that being the problem that night. A lack of creativity and movement in the final 3rd, yes.

Georgia game alone didn't cost us the campaign, poor defending across the campaign cost us in the end.

If you think Scott Brown is our problem, I think many fans and people involved in football would disagree.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, braveheart_lynch said:

Don't recall that being the problem that night. A lack of creativity and movement in the final 3rd, yes.

Georgia game alone didn't cost us the campaign, poor defending across the campaign cost us in the end.

If you think Scott Brown is our problem, I think many fans and people involved in football would disagree.

Scott Brown is only one of the problems with our team but a massive problem, he is massively overated and shouldn't be in our starting line up. I also have a problem with him being our captain, I don't think he's a leader and not good enough anyway. Poor defending cost us in the end so having a proper defensive midfielder to protect our back four is a must with a weak defence. Strachan persists with Brown and therfore our defence is not protected the way it could or should be.

1 hour ago, braveheart_lynch said:

Were you sleeping when Georgia scored like? Because the absence of a player like McArthur is exactly why they were able to run right through the middle of us! It's not so much Scott Brown that is the issue, it's continuing to play him (and others), regardless of their form and the form of alternatives. 

The persistence in playing an out of form Maloney, Anya & S. Fletcher was also a problem in that game, i agree. 

Not sure about that. In fact I'm struggling to think of anyone I know that would back Scott Brown's inclusion in the squad, never mind being Captain. 

1 minute ago, Angus_Young said:

Not sure about that. In fact I'm struggling to think of anyone I know that would back Scott Brown's inclusion in the squad, never mind being Captain. 

Jack Wilshere, Marek Hamsik and Kevin Kampl for 3!!

Our back four is not good enough at the moment. Our holding midfielder is expected to do too much over the course of the game to protect them.

Scott Brown did a lot more good than bad over the campaign and to point the finger at him seems incredibly harsh in my opinion. But this is a thread about the manager not Scott Brown.

People are unhappy with the manager's selection but until we get better quality at the back I see no real alternatives that would do any better at the moment.

2 minutes ago, braveheart_lynch said:

Our back four is not good enough at the moment. Our holding midfielder is expected to do too much over the course of the game to protect them.

Scott Brown did a lot more good than bad over the campaign and to point the finger at him seems incredibly harsh in my opinion. But this is a thread about the manager not Scott Brown.

People are unhappy with the manager's selection but until we get better quality at the back I see no real alternatives that would do any better at the moment.

I Kari Arnasen a great centre half? Is Craig Cathcart? Is Johnny Evans? Nope, nope and nope. They just have managers who are capable of organizing a team and a defence. Competent managers can do this. 

This "all our players are shite" mantra is pathetic and it stems from the manager, who's desperate to excuse and deflect blame for his failings. 

7 minutes ago, braveheart_lynch said:

nobody pointed the finger at him

26 minutes ago, braveheart_lynch said:

No one is pointing the finger at Brown. It's not his fault he keeps getting picked to lead the team out. On the contrary I think he has been a very good servant to Scotland and has at least had the decency to turn up for the unglamorous friendlies over the years. 

That said, anyone can see that he is done and the point being made by a few on this thread is that we have a manager with ready made excuses for continuing with the same system and players that aren't working. Brown is only one example, but he is the most high profile one so it stands to reason he will be discussed. 

25 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I Kari Arnasen a great centre half? Is Craig Cathcart? Is Johnny Evans? Nope, nope and nope. They just have managers who are capable of organizing a team and a defence. Competent managers can do this. 

This "all our players are shite" mantra is pathetic and it stems from the manager, who's desperate to excuse and deflect blame for his failings. 

Spot on.

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

none of them are particularly great but they are all probably better Centre Halvesthan any of our current options. 

Just now, aaid said:

none of them are particularly great but they are all probably better Centre Halvesthan any of our current options. 

That's completely subjective. I'd debate that Kari Arnasen is better than Hanley or Martin, though. 

If we have weak option at the back, then play a 3. Wales have do it, Italy do it, Germany even done it on Saturday. Give yourself extra cover in your weakest position. Rigidly sticking to a 4-2-3-1 and then saying "aye but all our centre halves are pish" is possibly the most stupid managerial approach possible. 

I actually cannot believe so many folk blindly defend Strachan and his tactical ineptitude. 

I honestly think some people are just being mental. Our not being at the Euros combines with the two losses to Italy and France seem to have just made some folks overly emotional.

Setting aside the Italy and France games, as they're a couple of the best in the world, we won our two other friendlies this year, and kept clean sheets in both. In the qualifying campaign, sure we lost to the world champions and only 1 other game. The one is disappointing, for sure, but if you'd asked any of us on here before the group started if we'd be happy with 3 draws and a win from the 4 games against Poland and Ireland, to a man we'd have said yes. All that cost us was some freak results where the Germans missed 47 chances and that one game where we did what we've been doing for decades, losing to a random rubbish team.

It's not nearly as bad as some are making out. Strachan's bringing in some new, younger players and seems to be looking at systems other than the 1 man up front that we've been playing pretty much continuously. Our upcoming qualifying group has no Germany in it, instead we have 3 pretty rubbish sides, a 1 man team and a poor England side which can't score, can't defend and is likely to start the campaign without a manager.

So dry your tears over the Euros, stop complaining that our 3rd choice midfield got wrecked by France's 1st choice and let's move into a new campaign with a big of hope.

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's completely subjective. I'd debate that Kari Arnasen is better than Hanley or Martin, though. 

If we have weak option at the back, then play a 3. Wales have do it, Italy do it, Germany even done it on Saturday. Give yourself extra cover in your weakest position. Rigidly sticking to a 4-2-3-1 and then saying "aye but all our centre halves are pish" is possibly the most stupid managerial approach possible. 

I actually cannot believe so many folk blindly defend Strachan and his tactical ineptitude. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Strachan for a minute but right now our centre half options are the worst I can ever remember them.  What is even more concerning is that there don't seem to be anyone who looks remotely capable coming through.   

I also don't believe that playing three centre backs is necessarily the best thing to do if you are weak in that position.  It's not just a case of three shite players = two no bad ones.  You're giving up a player somewhere else to compensate for the extra defender and you also need wing backs, not full backs or at least players who can do both.  We've got left backs coming out of our ears but no right backs.

Personally, I think another option is to have stronger more disciplined holding midfielder(s) to protect the centre backs and that's where I do think Strachan has options but has chosen badly. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

You think Italy play 3 at the back because it is their weakest position? :huh:

2 hours ago, andyD said:

I honestly think some people are just being mental. Our not being at the Euros combines with the two losses to Italy and France seem to have just made some folks overly emotional.

Setting aside the Italy and France games, as they're a couple of the best in the world, we won our two other friendlies this year, and kept clean sheets in both. In the qualifying campaign, sure we lost to the world champions and only 1 other game. The one is disappointing, for sure, but if you'd asked any of us on here before the group started if we'd be happy with 3 draws and a win from the 4 games against Poland and Ireland, to a man we'd have said yes. All that cost us was some freak results where the Germans missed 47 chances and that one game where we did what we've been doing for decades, losing to a random rubbish team.

It's not nearly as bad as some are making out. Strachan's bringing in some new, younger players and seems to be looking at systems other than the 1 man up front that we've been playing pretty much continuously. Our upcoming qualifying group has no Germany in it, instead we have 3 pretty rubbish sides, a 1 man team and a poor England side which can't score, can't defend and is likely to start the campaign without a manager.

So dry your tears over the Euros, stop complaining that our 3rd choice midfield got wrecked by France's 1st choice and let's move into a new campaign with a big of hope.

Yeah I'd agree with most of that.

It seems as if the criticism has increased since the Euros started and quite frankly it's got feck all to do with us as we're not there.

His biggest mistake was persisting with a few players against Georgia who weren't playing every week for their clubs and it showed.

He got found out, if he's learned from it that's great. 

If he's not then he'll be punted.

I certainly don't think we should be judging him till after the England game when we should have 6 points if not 7.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I want someone who will motivate the team properly and who will get the players fighting for each other. Strachan doesn't give that. I don't understand it when people ask for examples, its not our job to find the right manager as we are not qualified to do so. Lagerback would be a possibility but would he get through to our players like Brown and Hutton? Who knows!

the bottom line is Strachan failed and we rewarded him with another contract, some fans even applauded that mince in Gibraltar. He's always got an excuse and it seems all he needs to do to get people on side is give an interview and spout his usual nonsens.

Surely though if you think he should be replaced you'd have some idea with whom?

The SFA are obviously happy for him to continue so won't be selecting a replacement.

36 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Surely though if you think he should be replaced you'd have some idea with whom?

The SFA are obviously happy for him to continue so won't be selecting a replacement.

Usual on here. Everyone wants to replace whichever current manager but can't name a better, realistic replacement.

You think Italy play 3 at the back because it is their weakest position? :huh:

You actually have the reading and understanding skills of a child :lol: 

im simply advocating a more flexible tactical approach in order to attempt to negate our poor centre halves. Strachan has tried hee haw except his 4-2-3-1 with Scott Brown, which continually leaves us exposed at the back. 

Stick to making montages :ok: