southampton - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Definitely most of it can be explained by Liverpool's or more specifically Brenda Rodgers lack of imagination in the transfer market, as well as the willingness to splurge

obscene amount of dosh erratically with no clear plan. Southampton's past 2 managers had a good record of identifying players that would take them into a top six finish in the PL

and clubs quickly realised Southampton also had no clout to keep them after a good season.

Unbelievable reading http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1 - Brenda bought 33 players for £292M (Do that in FM2016 and you be guaranteed to win the CL)

Lambert £4.5

Lallana £25M  (....just WTF??)

Lovern £20M

Clyne £12.5M

Mane £35M 

Having said all that I think Spurs got a bargain on Wanyama at £12M  ......that's a great buy for any top 10 club in the PL, strangely he is probably of least value to Spurs who already have 73 midfielders

Edited by DYLANGT7

54 minutes ago, DYLANGT7 said:

Definitely most of it can be explained by Liverpool's or more specifically Brenda Rodgers lack of imagination in the transfer market, as well as the willingness to splurge

obscene amount of dosh erratically with no clear plan. Southampton's past 2 managers had a good record of identifying players that would take them into a top six finish in the PL

and clubs quickly realised Southampton also had no clout to keep them after a good season.

Unbelievable reading http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1 - Brenda bought 33 players for £292M (Do that in FM2016 and you be guaranteed to win the CL)

Lambert £4.5

Lallana £25M  (....just WTF??)

Lovern £20M

Clyne £12.5M

Mane £35M 

Having said all that I think Spurs got a bargain on Wanyama at £12M  ......that's a great buy for any top 10 club in the PL, strangely he is probably of least value to Spurs who already have 73 midfielders

the wee fat full back they sold to man utd for 30 million is fecking honking

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Who gives a shite?

Apparently you, since you clicked on the thread and posted. 

On top of that id say people with an interest in football, the epl, transfers. 

Would you be posting as you have had the post been about a team from serie a or la liga?

Does your who gives a shite extend to every football competition outwith Scotland?

It all comes down to the plentiful supply of cash due to the sale of tv rights. Excess cash leading to excessive valuations and transfers, not to mention wages. Most of the sums involved are eye watering. It would appear many players can be / are set up for life before they even play for the first team at certain clubs, ridiculous yes but who can blame them for lapping up what's being flung at them

38 minutes ago, McExpat said:

Apparently you, since you clicked on the thread and posted. 

On top of that id say people with an interest in football, the epl, transfers. 

Would you be posting as you have had the post been about a team from serie a or la liga?

Does your who gives a shite extend to every football competition outwith Scotland?

Aye, I'm glued to transfer activity of Southampton. Can't get enough!

It's a shite league with overinflated prices. 

8 hours ago, George Saint said:

I disagree with that. I think Luke Shaw (providing he can remain injury free) will go on to be a great left back for both Manchester United and England.

Better than Danny Rose for a start.

I think Saints will also get a pretty good price for Van Dijk when they sell him on. One of the best centre backs in the EPL last season according to the pundits. I can see Koeman moving for him if he gets silly money for Stones. 

11 hours ago, George Saint said:

I disagree with that. I think Luke Shaw (providing he can remain injury free) will go on to be a great left back for both Manchester United and England.

I'd agree with that. Had a tough first season but showed glimpses of what he was capable of.

At the beginning of last season he was outstanding until his injury and many United fans felt that losing him had a big effect on the rest of the season. He was building a really good relationship with Memphis who's form dropped considerably once Shaw was out of the team.

If he can recover from the leg break and keep fit then he'll be a big player next season.

Not worth what they paid for him at the time but if he goes on to play 10+ years for United then it won't be too bad of a deal.

Also living down here in Southamptons catchment area they have an extremely comprehensive scouting and academy system in place.

My missus colleague is a scout for them in Swindon and a couple of lads at my boys club are in the Southampton academy.

They have many "satellite" academies in my locality (Swindon/West Wiltshire) to channel kids from as wife an area as possible.

J

53 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Also living down here in Southamptons catchment area they have an extremely comprehensive scouting and academy system in place.

My missus colleague is a scout for them in Swindon and a couple of lads at my boys club are in the Southampton academy.

They have many "satellite" academies in my locality (Swindon/West Wiltshire) to channel kids from as wife an area as possible.

J

Is that how they got Gareth Bale?

My geography of that part of the world isn't brilliant, but are they not casting quite a wide net if it reaches the West Country and South Wales?

53 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Is that how they got Gareth Bale?

My geography of that part of the world isn't brilliant, but are they not casting quite a wide net if it reaches the West Country and South Wales?

Indeed they are, TBH they pretty much have a monopoly heading West from Southampton, and as I said, these satellite academies, run locally but using Southamptons governance and importantly their considerable funding, seems to be working well for them. 

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Indeed they are, TBH they pretty much have a monopoly heading West from Southampton, and as I said, these satellite academies, run locally but using Southamptons governance and importantly their considerable funding, seems to be working well for them. 

I wouldn't have any qualms about good Scottish youngsters going to Southampton. Even going back to Walcott and Chamberlain they must be doing something right at that level.  Bit of a sellign club though if they'd kept hold of all that talent they could be real contenders must be a bit of a sickener bit like supporting Dundee Utd.

16 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I wouldn't have any qualms about good Scottish youngsters going to Southampton. Even going back to Walcott and Chamberlain they must be doing something right at that level.  Bit of a sellign club though if they'd kept hold of all that talent they could be real contenders must be a bit of a sickener bit like supporting Dundee Utd.

16 year old from United Keiran Freenan has apparently signed for them. Development fee to be agreed

We've got a new manager now too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36642502

I must admit that I've never heard of him before, but from briefly reading about him he seems a pretty decent fit for us.

I'm not expecting much for next season anyway. I imagine we'll lose a few more of our better players before the season begins, and I'm realistic enough to know that it's unlikely we can keep finding replacements or maintain such a high league position. I didn't expect us to be able to do it in previous seasons, so I'm fully expecting us to slip down the table at some point in the near future.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:18 PM, DYLANGT7 said:

clubs quickly realised Southampton also had no clout to keep them after a good season.

Southampton don't want to sell, but sadly these are the times we live in.

We kept the likes of Schneidelin and Wanyama for a year longer than they wanted to be here.

We've given extensions (6 year contacts) to Forster and Van Dijk.

Wanyama only had 1 year left on his contract and we got back what we paid Celtic. Prior to that we offered Wanyama umpteen contracts and he simply would not sign; what more can we do? He wanted to go to Tottenham and the bright lights of London.

How are Saints raking it in? Long contracts when the player's sign = demanding big money if they want to move on.

Are they all worth the money? Every single one of them was an excellent player for Southampton and I see no reason why we should roll over when the big boys come calling... Pay up or f*ck off is the message.

So Southampton have signed Kieran Freeman from Dundee Utd in exactly the same circumstances as Chelsea signed Islam Feruz from Celtic.   Should we expect the same kind of raging reaction from Arabs as we saw from the World's Greatest Fans?

ps I am deep in wine.  I do know this is a dickish post, but, still. 

Edited by adamntg