The SFA - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The SFA

glasgow jock

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the SFA for turning me into a grumpy old bugger during these euros and wishing ill luck and bad things on most of the other countries,especially the other home nations. Usually id be ambivalent at worst about Norn Iron, Engerland and Cymru having a relative modicum of success internationally but I am now consumed by jealousy. seethe and envy at every pre match report, sight of their fans giving it large. grovelling analysis by the usual sycophants in the media, goal  scored , point won and progression made through the tournament. Im fed up of folks asking "Why aren't Scotland there  too then?" . The sooner the whole thing is over and I can get back to just having the normal Scottish sized chip on my shoulder instead of the whole bloody sack. the better.

Now sod off

:mad:

This euros are torture. I am at an all time low as a Scotland fan. Anyone else feel like this ? Something needs to be done and soon !!! Terrible state of affairs. 

1 minute ago, Doric said:

This euros are torture. I am at an all time low as a Scotland fan. Anyone else feel like this ? Something needs to be done and soon !!! Terrible state of affairs. 

in the 40 years of following Scotland mate never never have l been so down :(

On 21 June 2016 at 2:08 PM, McDange said:

Difference between this and club football is that you can choose and change your club. Your country is yours.   

Me too. Im booked up to Wembley then that's it as far as the going to every game arranging work round Scotland games. I'll go to the occasional one here and there but I'm fed up living and arranging my life around something that will probably never happen

Until the powers that be start taking responsibility then they can go and take fukk to themselves 

in my 45 years on this Earth, I'm at tipping point of not giving a fruck about our next qualifying campaign.  If it wasnt for my laddie pushing me along, would probably give up like most of my pals who went with me to euro 96 and france 98.

Hurts like hell watching these pishy shite hoofball merchants qualifying for next round.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I had every intention of going up to all the homes games but I'm done. It's not worth the money and time off work anymore.

I'll head along for the weekend ones (probably).

Malta on a Monday night ain't happening.

My heads f-ing fried. Not sure what I think at the moment.

The current state? How much is it the SFA's fault? The Scottish Government? Scottish Society and Culture? Do we always want to blame some sort of organisation or something for our failinga?

No matter the above I keep coming back to Strachan, his constant comments about not having a Bale type player. Do you here Martin or Michael O'Neill saying that, the Albania manager? Lars Laggerback? No you don't. He's the reason where we are right now. Get a manager in who will show a bit of belief in the players and can show the ability to change systems.

I'm booked up to Wembley but could be my last, waste of time and money for the continual let down.

Enough of the play station generation argument shite.

The money to be made as a decent footballer now should have a queue of Scottish kids a mile long all doing their best to be the next Messi.

The incentives and rewards are (massively) there.

But our game is horrifically mismanaged. 

Yes we like mars bars and play stations but equally we like getting paid 100k a week so where is our Bale like 1% chance star player. When was the last star we hatched? The teachers going in the huff etc does not anywhere offset the 100k a week wages motivation that replaced it. So where are the players coming through just for greed alone? The SFA cant even manage that. They are shit. All this money in the game and Scotland is not producing any players. That is fukked up.

Edited by thplinth

Watching the EUROs with all the other home nations there (and doing well) is absolute torture! Jealous, gutted, frustrated all roled into one.  It's a tough one to take.

There does however seem to be initiatives that are under way to try and improve scottish youth development.  I hope that it is just the fact that we need a bit more time before our (relatively new) youth development initiatives to start paying dividends.

http://www.eurosport.com/football/sfa-presents-revamped-vision-for-youth-development-in-scotland_sto5074911/story.shtml

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3178

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

Enough of the play station generation argument shite.

The money to be made as a decent footballer now should have a queue of Scottish kids a mile long all doing their best to be the next Messi.

The incentives and rewards are (massively) there.

But our game is horrifically mismanaged.

Yes we like mars bars and play stations but equally we like getting paid 100k a week so where is our Bale like 1% chance star player. When was the last star we hatched? The teachers going in the huff etc does not anywhere offset the 100k a week wages motivation that replaced it. So where are the players coming through just for greed alone? The SFA cant even manage that. They are shit. All this money in the game and Scotland is not producing any players. That is fukked up.

That's been my thoughts too for a while now. Given the access to  untold riches just over the border I know if I was a teenager with any kind of ability nowadays I'd be out there with a ball practicing at all hours. Yet kids don't seem to do that as much as in the past...

1 hour ago, Hampden Kev said:

Watching the EUROs with all the other home nations there (and doing well) is absolute torture! Jealous, gutted, frustrated all roled into one.  It's a tough one to take.

There does however seem to be initiatives that are under way to try and improve scottish youth development.  I hope that it is just the fact that we need a bit more time before our (relatively new) youth development initiatives to start paying dividends.

http://www.eurosport.com/football/sfa-presents-revamped-vision-for-youth-development-in-scotland_sto5074911/story.shtml

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3178

There is certainly moves being made at youth level, performance schools as mentioned in that article being one.

The big issue that Mclair nails on the head though is what happens to our players when they hit U21 level? Thats where its going drasticly wrong. Is it the U20 Pro league system? Should we look at introducing these teams to the SPFL system like they do in a number of European countries. Are players chasing the dream of England to early in their careers and dissapearing?

53 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

There is certainly moves being made at youth level, performance schools as mentioned in that article being one.

The big issue that Mclair nails on the head though is what happens to our players when they hit U21 level? Thats where its going drasticly wrong. Is it the U20 Pro league system? Should we look at introducing these teams to the SPFL system like they do in a number of European countries. Are players chasing the dream of England to early in their careers and dissapearing?

Could'nt agree more.  The fact that our young players are being lured by the possibility of playing in the EPL, or for that matter any larger club or league means that they are not getting enough playing time in competetive football.  Or at least that is one of multiple problems.  I'm hoping that the article's content means that the SFA are implementing strategies that are geared towards providing a solution to some of the issues. 

I also read somewhere that the SFA is considering an NFL-stye approach where young players would only be loaned out to scottish clubs to try to ensure they get first team football.  Perhaps that's what they mean by radical? 

Funding is an issue as well.  The Scottish Government might be asked to help with this, although a long term approach for regular funding will be needed.  Perhaps more commercial backing?  At the end of the day i don't think the soluton is easy.....but a helluva lot easier than going through another EUROs like this again!!! :-) 

9 hours ago, Doric said:

Yep, im honestly not ####ed about going to away games this campaign. Its fun but at the end of the day we are so bad and I cant bring myself to spend the money, dont even think i'll bother with Wembley. Will probably go back to zero points but meh. Got a good friends stag do and a trip to Oz that my money can go to. 

Also - we took 4 points off Ireland in the qualifiers, where arguably the better team over both games (only just tbf) - does anybody think we would have played against Italy last night the way Ireland did & then won the game. ??

I don't I am pretty sure we would have shat / bottled it & lost :mad:

Strangely the group I go to games with have just renewed memberships in larger numbers that we've had in years. We now see these are more a social / day out and the odd away game. With the group winner qualifying and runner up getting the playoff, it looks like we'll be crossing the 20 year barrier missing a tournament. 

Strachan in the media hasn't been good at all. Talking about how w'ere better than teams at the EUROs. They are there, we urny... 

Well done to England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and of course Iceland on their achievements - they've got further than Scotland ever has and if this isn't the wakeup call the SFA need to make proper change then who know when (if) we'll next make a tournament.   

3 hours ago, Hampden Kev said:

Could'nt agree more.  The fact that our young players are being lured by the possibility of playing in the EPL, or for that matter any larger club or league means that they are not getting enough playing time in competetive football.  Or at least that is one of multiple problems.  I'm hoping that the article's content means that the SFA are implementing strategies that are geared towards providing a solution to some of the issues. 

I also read somewhere that the SFA is considering an NFL-stye approach where young players would only be loaned out to scottish clubs to try to ensure they get first team football.  Perhaps that's what they mean by radical? 

Funding is an issue as well.  The Scottish Government might be asked to help with this, although a long term approach for regular funding will be needed.  Perhaps more commercial backing?  At the end of the day i don't think the soluton is easy.....but a helluva lot easier than going through another EUROs like this again!!! :-) 

When you look at the likes of John McGinn, who's played around 130 games for St. Mirren and Hibs, most of them in the Premier League with St Mirren and won two national cups, that can only benefit him and no doubt he'll get a decent move at some point in the next year or so. You then hear of the likes of Harry Soutar potentially going to Stoke at 17 having played 2 games for United. That's a massive concern and where it is going wrong, great if he makes but history tells you he'll be back up in Scotland in 2-3 years time doing the trial rounds for a club.

Don't reckon there's a chance in hell of us making it to the next World Cup - England and Slovakia looks way better than us and we're bound to make an arse of it against either Slovenia or Lithuania - so the next realistic tournament finals would be the 2020 Euros.

Would like to see WGS and the SFA target them starting now - four years lead time and a favourable qualifying draw and if we can't make that then we probably ought to disband the national team and focus on curling.

And while I'm on the soapbox, how come we don't have any decent central defenders any more?

51 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Don't reckon there's a chance in hell of us making it to the next World Cup - England and Slovakia looks way better than us and we're bound to make an arse of it against either Slovenia or Lithuania - so the next realistic tournament finals would be the 2020 Euros.

Agree. A realistic target is a decent 3rd place finish and hopefully not slide too far down the rankings for the 2020 draw. 

16 hours ago, giblet said:

in my 45 years on this Earth, I'm at tipping point of not giving a fruck about our next qualifying campaign.  If it wasnt for my laddie pushing me along, would probably give up like most of my pals who went with me to euro 96 and france 98.

Hurts like hell watching these pishy shite hoofball merchants qualifying for next round.

I have done the same stretch as yourself but I,m not at tipping point I,ve tipped .Did go with my laddie but with his work and lack of funds there's no push from his direction so never renewed my SSC losing 8 points in the process,do I care?Not one jot

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Would like to see WGS and the SFA target them starting now - four years lead time and a favourable qualifying draw and if we can't make that then we probably ought to disband the national team and focus on curling.

And while I'm on the soapbox, how come we don't have any decent central defenders any more?

It really is desperate though. We've been saying "ah we may as well forget the next tournament and plan for the next one" for as long as I can remember on here.  

Edited by JECK