Stockholm - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Am off there as well with the family for a holiday in July. Was last there about 10 years back. It's expensive (like London on steroids) but not as much as Norway. The Vasa Museum is well worth a visit. If you like mooching around Gamla Stan (the old town) is good and you can do boat trips around the Archepelago. Depends what you're after really - there'll be some stuff in the Travel section.

I live in Stockholm so I'll give it a go at answering.

July is the nicest month weather wise but almost everyone goes on holiday for the entirety of the month, so Stockholm will be very quiet. Some restaurants and shops will likely be closed too.

Djurgården is in the city centre and has the Vasa Museum, Skansen (outdoor museum and zoo - great for kids) and Gröna Lund (themepark plus open air gigs).

Gamla Stan (Old Town) has the Royal Palace and the Cathedral plus lots of quaint old buildings and streets.

Stadshuset (The City Hall) where the Nobels are awarded. Very picturesque on the water-side. 

Kungsträdgården (King's tree garden) is nice. 

If the Euros are still on then you can watch it on the outdoor big screens at Gården in Norra Bantorget.

Mossebacke on Södermalm is one of the view beer gardens and with a nice view over the city.

If you fancy getting the best view/photo op of the city then you ca take a walk up Västerbron (Western bridge).

2 hours ago, joe545 said:

July is the nicest month weather wise but almost everyone goes on holiday for the entirety of the month, so Stockholm will be very quiet. Some restaurants and shops will likely be closed too.

Djurgården is in the city centre and has the Vasa Museum, Skansen (outdoor museum and zoo - great for kids) and Gröna Lund (themepark plus open air gigs).

Gamla Stan (Old Town) has the Royal Palace and the Cathedral plus lots of quaint old buildings and streets.

Stadshuset (The City Hall) where the Nobels are awarded. Very picturesque on the water-side. 

If the Euros are still on then you can watch it on the outdoor big screens at Gården in Norra Bantorget.

Mossebacke on Södermalm is one of the view beer gardens and with a nice view over the city.

If you fancy getting the best view/photo op of the city then you ca take a walk up Västerbron (Western bridge).

Cheers joe545 - I'm going to use this too.

Edited by neilser
sp

16 hours ago, neilser said:

Am off there as well with the family for a holiday in July. Was last there about 10 years back. It's expensive (like London on steroids) but not as much as Norway. The Vasa Museum is well worth a visit. If you like mooching around Gamla Stan (the old town) is good and you can do boat trips around the Archepelago. Depends what you're after really - there'll be some stuff in the Travel section.

Cheers! Definitely thinking about doing a boat trip on the archipelago  esp if the weather is decent. 

15 hours ago, Scunnered said:

Try and avoid Sweden.  You'll stand out like a sore thumb for being ugly as fück!

My other half is flying over to meet me there.  She'll probably realise that I'm even uglier and ill-looking out of a Scotland context!! At least I have my sparkling personality haha 

12 hours ago, joe545 said:

Magic - cheers for the info, will definitely check some of this out when there!!

16 hours ago, neilser said:

Am off there as well with the family for a holiday in July. Was last there about 10 years back. It's expensive (like London on steroids) but not as much as Norway. The Vasa Museum is well worth a visit. If you like mooching around Gamla Stan (the old town) is good and you can do boat trips around the Archepelago. Depends what you're after really - there'll be some stuff in the Travel

I went to Stockholm several years ago and really enjoyed it. As has been mentioned previously, The Vasa Museum is defo worth a visit, it is basically a ship that sank on its maiden voyage 4-500 years ago as the ballast wasn't right and they raised it after centuries under water (was preserved in the silt I believe). You could spend hours in there, remember to pay and display if you have a hire car as I got a parking ticket whilst visiting this museum, doh!! The Royal Palace worth a visit too if you like that sort of thing. Maybe Joe545 could tell you what it is called (can't remember) , but there is also a big tower structure where you can get great views on a clear day. Another place we went one evening was the bar at the top of the big tall building (think it's 55 stories if memory serves me correctly), again, Joe545 will know what it is called I would imagine. Pricey pint in there though!! I'm sure you will have a good time, very friendly people, really helpful. Anytime we were stood with maps we would be approached by locals asking if they could help us find where we were looking for, will always remember that and would recommend the city for a visit.

7 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

I went to Stockholm several years ago and really enjoyed it. As has been mentioned previously, The Vasa Museum is defo worth a visit, it is basically a ship that sank on its maiden voyage 4-500 years ago as the ballast wasn't right and they raised it after centuries under water (was preserved in the silt I believe). You could spend hours in there, remember to pay and display if you have a hire car as I got a parking ticket whilst visiting this museum, doh!! The Royal Palace worth a visit too if you like that sort of thing. Maybe Joe545 could tell you what it is called (can't remember) , but there is also a big tower structure where you can get great views on a clear day. Another place we went one evening was the bar at the top of the big tall building (think it's 55 stories if memory serves me correctly), again, Joe545 will know what it is called I would imagine. Pricey pint in there though!! I'm sure you will have a good time, very friendly people, really helpful. Anytime we were stood with maps we would be approached by locals asking if they could help us find where we were looking for, will always remember that and would recommend the city for a visit.

Think the bar you might be talking about is Erik's Gondolen and I agree it's worth a visit. Great place. 

I would also recommend the island hopping boat trip.

Stockholm is a fantastic city. One of my favourites in Europe. 

On 6/19/2016 at 4:18 AM, Grantyboy1983 said:

big tower structure  = kaknästornet

bar at the top the big tall building = (probably) himlen @ skatteskrapan

Also, don't hire a car. Parking is hard to find and difficult to understand plus the public transport is very good.