Yeti - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 15 June 2016 at 11:34 AM, duncan II said:
Anyone see the Ch4 documentary - Yeti: Man, Myth or Beast, or something like that - that was on couple of weeks ago? Had taped it and just watched it there.

So many locals convinced they'd seen one and it exists in folk legend almost everywhere across the Himalayas. Some samples of hair, feet etc had been collected by those who thought they'd seen it. All these came back as different species of bear - black bear and two different kinds of brown bear. So seems a bit of a dead end and disappointing result.

BUT, and perhaps even more interestingly, a different hypothesis was proposed. The fact that belief in this is so widespread is perhaps due to folk memory of a different species of human existing until relatively recently. The Tibetans have a mutation that allows them to live at high altitudes with little oxygen. Turns out an extinct and little known sub-species of human - whose remains have been found in, I think, Siberia or somewhere also had the same gene mutation (Denisovans - had to look that up there). Plausible that they migrated to the Himalayas, inter-bred with humans on occasion but were generally feared as mountain dwellers. Over time they eventually became extinct but humans who had inherited this ability to live in high altitudes gradually replaced them in these areas and they lived on in folk memory as beasts to be feared.

I find it quite convincing. According to DNA, they plausibly could have bred with humans as little as 7,000 years ago. Could folk memory last this long? Well, he gave as an example the existence of folk stories about little people in Indonesia that everyone thought were just stories. But remains were found of a tiny human species in Indonesia (you might remember, it was in the news ten years ago or so - Homo floresiensis - called the hobbit by the press)  and it is dated to about 15,000 years, I think. So it is totally plausible that folk memory lasts as long. Also, folk tales of floods and other cataclysmic events that exist in many cultures are thought to come from memory of real events passed down over countless generations.

Anyway, it would be sad if yetis don't exist, but the fact that creatures like that are remembered by societies of humans today is, for me, equally as exciting.

Any alternative theories?

I've often thought along these lines, that elves, bogeymen etc were racial memories of other humanoid species.

Edited by biffer

35 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

have some of us not also got DNA from this mongolian area ?

https://www.quora.com/Who-are-the-descendants-of-the-Huns-today

Yes we are all part Hun. No matter how desperate some folk might be to deny it. It might explain why some Arabs seem to be more interested in Rangers than they are their own team?;)

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes we are all part Hun. No matter how desperate some folk might be to deny it. It might explain why some Arabs seem to be more interested in Rangers than they are their own team?;)

Ya dancer! That'll save me a fortune in toothpaste this week!