Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Hope has worked wonders for us the past 18 years right enough ?

I can just see WGS at the next squad get together "right lads we had high hopes for this campaign but that's aw oot the Windae now, weloveirnbru posted on the tam board that we're Donald ducked, the games up the pole"

I have been positive about Scotland since I started following them in the 80s...I find it hard to these days when our manager does not even believe in us and sets us up to defend and limit the damage in almost every game.

We need to try new things...new formations...new players...put some players to grass...if we stick with the same old we will not progress. 

I know that we tried some players out in the friendlies but Strachan's comments since have strongly hinted that he will stick with the same old players from the last campaign.  It is a little soul destroying to be honest.

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

WGS is at pains to  point out teams like wales, Sweden, poland etc who have a superstar to help them along, but what about comparisons with norn irn, Albania, Iceland, Austria who maybe don't have that star (I know Austria have alaba but not sure he has the same effect as bale, ibra, etc).

we definitely lack basis skills in certain areas, but to make for that we need bravery, guts, hard work, passion and togetherness. if we do that we can get a little better.

Utterly sickening that all 3 home nations have got through.

It simply confirms what a ####in shambles Strachan and McGhee have made of things. 

I've no idea why we didn't sack Strachan after he managed to drag the team down to 4th in that group, and it's insane that we're giving him another chance to feck things up with his pathetic Forrest/Fletcher/Mulgrew et al shambles of a selection policy.

Just now, Rossy said:

It simply confirms what a ####in shambles Strachan and McGhee have made of things. 

I've no idea why we didn't sack Strachan after he managed to drag the team down to 4th in that group, and it's insane that we're giving him another chance to feck things up with his pathetic Forrest/Fletcher/Mulgrew et al shambles of a selection policy.

Tam Cowan or Stuart Cosgrove made an excellent point on Off The Ball on Saturday saying that George Burley got a harder time simply because he wore a saltire tie than WGS has for failing to not only qualify but failure to produce any improvement whatsoever 

36 minutes ago, Rossy said:

we finished according to our seeding.

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's England, Wales and N. Ireland reached the knock out phase of the World Cup and Euros. We've made it to neither...

we made the final 8 in euro 92. we made the last 16 of the World cup twice.

at these euros wales and NI have made it to the last 16 so far.

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's England, Wales and N. Ireland reached the knock out phase of the World Cup and Euros. We've made it to neither...

For several of our tournaments, if you could qualify in third place with one win, we could have

(though if i remember correctly, the one time there was a third place option, in 1986, we failed it)

Edited by exile

7 minutes ago, Boynze said:

we made the final 8 in euro 92. we made the last 16 of the World cup twice.

at these euros wales and NI have made it to the last 16 so far.

True but we just cannae get out of a tournament group. 0 from 10.

Just now, Toepoke said:

True but we just cannae get out of a tournament group. 0 from 10.

I understand that that is correct, but you have to consider the context as well as each tournament these days is on a different format.

for example there is no comparison between the euro '92 and euro 2016 format.

6 minutes ago, exile said:

(though if i remember correctly, the one time there was a third place option, in 1986, we failed it)

1990 too. Uruguay knocked us out again with a 96th minute winner v Korea.

It really is a catalogue of woe :(

15 minutes ago, Boynze said:

I understand that that is correct, but you have to consider the context as well as each tournament these days is on a different format.

Formats change but our failure is constant:

54, 58, 74, 78, 82, 86, 90, 92, 96, 98...

Hope I live to see the run ended but I'm starting to doubt it...

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

I get what you're saying but the failure in this qualifying campaign, the easiest in decades due to the format, is inexcusable. I have no idea why Strachan gets such an easy ride since he is a failure yet McLeish, for example,  was never accepted.

5 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I get what you're saying but the failure in this qualifying campaign, the easiest in decades due to the format, is inexcusable. I have no idea why Strachan gets such an easy ride since he is a failure yet McLeish, for example,  was never accepted.

Mcleish was accepted....he decided to chase the money at Birmingham.   That is when the tartan army turned against him..not before.

If he were to come back and play the same brand if football..I would welcome him back.

And now everyone from the British Isles has made the last 16 of the tournament. 

Something we've never done and apparently don't look like ever doing.

Happy for the Irish supporters and the Welsh but sick as a dug about how bad we must be.

The pain goes on and on. Being Scottish just now is embarrasing .Thought voting no was an all time low but it gets worse !!! We ae a nation of losers full stop 

16 minutes ago, Doric said:

The pain goes on and on. Being Scottish just now is embarrasing .Thought voting no was an all time low but it gets worse !!! We ae a nation of losers full stop 

Yep, last few years have been shattering both in a football and political sense.

Although, part of me is glad that all the home nations and Eire are progressing because it gets it right up the sfa, Scottish football in general and the pathetic can't do mentality of our nation.

Will we ever wake up and strive to do better? Doubt it

44 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And now everyone from the British Isles has made the last 16 of the tournament. 

Something we've never done and apparently don't look like ever doing.

Happy for the Irish supporters and the Welsh but sick as a dug about how bad we must be.

yes we have.

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

We have never made the 2nd phase of a tournament would be more accurate.

As we have qualified for a 16 and 8 team euros.

I am not trying to be pedantic, but their is a big difference from not getting out the group when it's down to the last 8 and getting out the group from 24 to 16 teams.

30 minutes ago, Boynze said:

I am not trying to be pedantic, but their is a big difference from not getting out the group when it's down to the last 8 and getting out the group from 24 to 16 teams.

Undoubtedly. Even England failed to get out the groups in the 8 team Euros, they had three attempts too.

However we never managed to do it from 16, 24 & 32 team competitions either...

There's nothing wrong with the players. They are not brilliant, but neither are most of the Icelandic, Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, Hungarian, English ones either.

I like Strachan, but the smart-arse comments are wearing thin, especially when you have the likes of Bernd Storck and Michael O'Neill talking up their players, rather than slagging off the league/players.

The media need to take a look too. Rather than chuckle politely at Strach's shite puns.

We have been drawn a very decent qualifying group, NO EXCUSES. It's not easy, but it's not that difficult either. We should be aiming for second place.