Strachan..out...poll - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Do you actually bother to check the facts before posting?

Bannan only played two games in the qualifiers.  58 minutes in Dortmund and 16 minutes at home to Gibraltar.  Clearly he's such an influential player that he impacts games he isn't even playing in. 

I'm glad you went and checked that, as it saved me the bother. I was sitting here thinking "what's all this guff about Bannan? I can't remember him making any contribution at all in the last campaign." Which now isn't a surprise considering he hardly played.:lol:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

There still seems to be a few fans clinging onto the hope Bannan will be an international football player.

Wait a minute we're so bad now maybe he will be!?

I don't even know what I think anymore...

He is an international football player. That is irrefutable even to you. Maybe with that you'll go on to accept that he is one of our better players. It may not say much about the rest of the squad but you seem to be wrestling against facts. 

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm glad you went and checked that, as it saved me the bother. I was sitting here thinking "what's all this guff about Bannan? I can't remember him making any contribution at all in the last campaign." Which now isn't a surprise considering he hardly played.:lol:

Come on, surely you must remember how he change the game against Gibraltar when he came on when we were, err, already 4-1 up.

15 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

He is an international football player. That is irrefutable even to you. Maybe with that you'll go on to accept that he is one of our better players. It may not say much about the rest of the squad but you seem to be wrestling against facts. 

You think Bannan is one of our better players?  Barry Bannan?

I wasn't for sacking him at the end of the last qualifiers. The stuff about us "not being good enough" is all fair enough but when you've got a squad of players at the level ours are at then you generally need other results to go for you, and that didn't happen at all in the last group. At one point it looked like we were going to take 4 points from Ireland, 4 from Poland, 6 from Gibraltar, beat Georgia at home and still not qualify. There's a fine line between success and failure in football (and that's particularly true in international football) so I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've changed my mind since then, though. The confident, threatening Scotland that we saw towards the end of the last World Cup campaign and away in Germany and Poland at the start of this campaign seems to have gone completely. The performances started to slide in the middle of the campaign and on the basis of our last couple of games it looks as though we're back to the Scotland we've seen for most of the last 20 years; the slow, pedestrian, clueless Scotland who look beaten before they even set foot on the pitch, who struggle to put a cohesive passing move together or even get a shot on target. We've taken one step forwards and one step backwards as far as I see it under Strachan. Back to square one.

Perhaps these performances could be excused by pointing out that we were playing some of the best in the world. You could say that we were playing motivated teams with something to play for, while our players were on their holidays. There's an element of truth in that, but the problem is that our decline in performances has mirrored Strachan's change in attitude over his tenure as manager. His optimism when he took over was reflected in the confident performances I mentioned earlier, now his pessimism, his moaning about not having the required resources appears to be having the opposite effect. That's a very difficult thing to turn around, especially when you have limited time with the players, as you do at international level.

Again, perhaps his point about not having the players required could be excused if he appeared to be taking steps to remedy this by bringing in the next generation of players. Instead he plays a 35 year old, clubless defender in a friendly.

He doesn't think the players we have are good enough to qualify for tournaments and he doesn't think the younger players are even worth bringing into the squad for a meaningless friendly. I genuinely don't understand why he even still wants the job.

Harsh to be sacked getting beat in 2 friendlies with a depleated squad against two teams who are a million times better than us.  If he wasn't sacked for not getting to the Euros then to come out and say he should be sacked now aftet 2 friendlies is ludicrous!   We beat Czech and Denmark before then, where were the calls for his head then?  The players need to man up and do something, they look like little boys playing men I put that down to their own mentality and bottle not the manager 

I agree with the above, it's definitely the squad mentality. If you watched the Romanians last night, they had a go in spells and were in France's face for most of the game. I don't believe we are any worse than Romania, in fact I would suggest we are better! In my eyes the players need to man up for the task ahead, be more adventurous and try something, rather than passing it sideways or backwards, FFS!

Back on topic, no I don't think Strachan should go, although I would like the baffling selection policy to be addressed. Ageing players are not required at this stage, especially when the younger versions have more raw talent. Souttar in for Greer and Ryan Fraser, Christie or Gauld in for Maloney? Time will tell...

The "you want to sack him because of two friendly defeats to Italy and France?!" argument is a complete straw man.

It's the job of the manager to motivate his players and inspire confidence. Strachan was able to do this successfully in the earlier games. It isn't the job of the manager to publicly offer a dispassionate critique of his squad, particularly when it's likely to be counter-productive. His comments about a lack of good players and the stuff about the players being "scared", whether you think they have merit or not, are completely unhelpful and grossly irresponsible IMO.

The last couple of performances are symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself.

The players are grown men who should be able to motivate themselves ffs they are playing for their country!!  Yes Strachan has his faults but my main point was if he were to be sacked it should have been at the end of last year after not qualifying and give a new manager these 4 friendlies, to sack him now I don't get it.  

He should have left after the euro campaign, the Georgia performance on its own was a sackable offence. Not getting even a play-off place in the group was a disaster and when you look at the world cup group with one one automatic place and one play-off place and the teams that will be in the play-off we really did missed a golden opportunity.There are a few managers out ther Moyes is one, McInnes at Abeerdeen is a young manager who has done well with limited resources, there are plenty of candidates.  Just look at Northern Ireland and what they have achieved without a "big name manager" or a host of quality players.

2 hours ago, jw22 said:

He should have left after the euro campaign, the Georgia performance on its own was a sackable offence. Not getting even a play-off place in the group was a disaster and when you look at the world cup group with one one automatic place and one play-off place and the teams that will be in the play-off we really did missed a golden opportunity.There are a few managers out ther Moyes is one, McInnes at Abeerdeen is a young manager who has done well with limited resources, there are plenty of candidates.  Just look at Northern Ireland and what they have achieved without a "big name manager" or a host of quality players.

Why do we need to have a Scot as manager ?

McInnes would be well out of his depth and Moyes is one of the most overrated managers out there.

Who are these other worthy candidates ? Paul Lambert ? Stuart McCall ? Mark McGhee ? Alan irvine ? Steve Clarke ? Each of them would be a disaster.

Strachan's successor should not be a Scot. There are none worth considering.

9 hours ago, DC92 said:

I wasn't for sacking him at the end of the last qualifiers. The stuff about us "not being good enough" is all fair enough but when you've got a squad of players at the level ours are at then you generally need other results to go for you, and that didn't happen at all in the last group. At one point it looked like we were going to take 4 points from Ireland, 4 from Poland, 6 from Gibraltar, beat Georgia at home and still not qualify. There's a fine line between success and failure in football (and that's particularly true in international football) so I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've changed my mind since then, though. The confident, threatening Scotland that we saw towards the end of the last World Cup campaign and away in Germany and Poland at the start of this campaign seems to have gone completely. The performances started to slide in the middle of the campaign and on the basis of our last couple of games it looks as though we're back to the Scotland we've seen for most of the last 20 years; the slow, pedestrian, clueless Scotland who look beaten before they even set foot on the pitch, who struggle to put a cohesive passing move together or even get a shot on target. We've taken one step forwards and one step backwards as far as I see it under Strachan. Back to square one.

Perhaps these performances could be excused by pointing out that we were playing some of the best in the world. You could say that we were playing motivated teams with something to play for, while our players were on their holidays. There's an element of truth in that, but the problem is that our decline in performances has mirrored Strachan's change in attitude over his tenure as manager. His optimism when he took over was reflected in the confident performances I mentioned earlier, now his pessimism, his moaning about not having the required resources appears to be having the opposite effect. That's a very difficult thing to turn around, especially when you have limited time with the players, as you do at international level.

Again, perhaps his point about not having the players required could be excused if he appeared to be taking steps to remedy this by bringing in the next generation of players. Instead he plays a 35 year old, clubless defender in a friendly.

He doesn't think the players we have are good enough to qualify for tournaments and he doesn't think the younger players are even worth bringing into the squad for a meaningless friendly. I genuinely don't understand why he even still wants the job.

Totally agree pal..with a manager saying players are not good enough,not world beaters bla bla bla.

What message does that send out ?

Strachan your psychology is not working call it a day.

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why do we need to have a Scot as manager ?

McInnes would be well out of his depth and Moyes is one of the most overrated managers out there.

Who are these other worthy candidates ? Paul Lambert ? Stuart McCall ? Mark McGhee ? Alan irvine ? Steve Clarke ? Each of them would be a disaster.

Strachan's successor should not be a Scot. There are none worth considering.

I agree if/when Strachan goes I'd like to try a foreigner who has not played in Scotland, so can hopefully bring a fresh outsider approach.......if owen coyle ever gets the job I'll quit supporting haha 

Edited by Radian

read this thread, and wasn't gonna post, cos still gutted at missing out, and have absolutely no belief in the sfa, the manager, the coaches, the players, grassroots football in Scotland..............

but after watching the first few games from euro16........Im certain we would have got gubbed off every side so far........due to having a mediocre manager..............BUT MAINLY BECAUSE OUR PLAYERS ARE TINY/SLOW and WEAK(physically and mentally) compared to every other team.

GOD HELP US, cos we have years more pain to come............we need to coach fitness/strength/speed before technique........might sound old fashioned, but THATS THE BASICS.