New Radiohead Album - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Noted the Stone Roses thread there, and thought the new Radiohead album deserved a mention.

I'm conscious of hyperbole, so I'll just say IT'S THE BEST MUSIC SINCE MUSIC BEGAN EVER, SINCE THE DAWN OF MUSIC AND TIME!

Honestly, I'm not even a huge Radiohead fan. I've listened to all their albums, and I like ' Kid A' a lot, it's probably my favourite of theirs, but I reckon (at best) I've listened to it 15 times in 15 years.

I was given this new one last week, and I can't stop playing it.

It's beautiful, haunting, comforting, grating, warm, cold and everything in-between.

Been a looooong time since an album slapped me like this one. Years in fact.

10/10

You must give it a go.

(IMO).

I liked the first single from it and going by what was played on 6 Music last weekend some of the tracks sound spectacular; others were good but basically sounded like what they were doing 15 years ago.

Definitely worth a second listen though, I reckon. 

OK Computer had a big affect on me when I was younger. I remember regulary getting home from the pub, in a state, and listening to it and thinking I need to change my life and move away from Scotland - which I did.

I used to listen to The Bends a lot as well.

Everything else since has been a bag of sh1te, topped to the brim with cat piss. ENDOF!

On 5/18/2016 at 0:02 AM, Stu101 said:

This is brilliance.

Agreed.

'Depressing' seems to be the standard/stock/lazy critisism for Radiohead.

Don't see it myself.

Serious, yes, depressing? Nah, not for me.

Mind you, I like very little 'happy' music. Maybe I'm just a miserable sod.

+++++++++

Will check out James Blake....

On 5/18/2016 at 9:59 AM, jailender said:

Most of the songs were written several years ago, and have been released or re-recorded for this album. Last album?

According to my Radiohead uber-fan workmate, 3 of the eleven are older tunes.

On 17/5/2016 at 11:05 PM, Dave in London said:

pretentious level + 7

I've been deliberately putting off listening to it until i take delivery of my £120 Audio-Technica headphones on Monday.

What pretentious level do i reach on your scale? I'm hoping for 6+ at least.

I listened to it at the weekend and thought it was just decent background music at best. Nothing grabbed me.

I had it on in the car yesterday and my son (17) asked me how I could listen to this crap. I agreed and switched it off.

On 20/05/2016 at 11:57 PM, Dave in London said:

According to my Radiohead uber-fan workmate, 3 of the eleven are older tunes.

Yes, just downloaded and was surprised to hear a few tracks that were so familiar....True Love Waits was on an album called Towers from a number of years ago.