Transfer gossip - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfer gossip

Slide Tackle

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Doesn't make him a good player.

Nope. The fact he's a good player makes him a good player.

He has 3 goals in 8 caps, plays for an EPL team which plays good football, was the subject of a 15m bid from a very good EPL club this week and is definitely one of our better players

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Nope. The fact he's a good player makes him a good player.

He has 3 goals in 8 caps, plays for an EPL team which plays good football, was the subject of a 15m bid from a very good EPL club this week and is definitely one of our better players

but he's not a true Scot so that matters not a jot :)

I saw Ritchie play week in week out for Swindon 4 years ago (in the 3rd and 4th tiers of the English league!), and he struck me as good, but nothing special. That said, he's clearly come on, and deserves his place in our starting XI. The goal against Poland was magnificent, but he more or less cancelled it out by giving away that needless free-kick that led to the equaliser.

Agree that West Ham would be a better move than Man U/Chelsea. Like all players, he'd be better off somewhere where he gets regular games.

Oh, and no, he's not in any way Scottish. But, he plays for Scotland, so he's clearly of interest to us. I don't think he should be playing for us, but that's another debate.

12 hours ago, Mox said:

The truth of matter is that if Ritchie was born anywhere  north of the english border, punters would be exclaiming him to be a good player.

Not in my case. Snodgrass is back, while he's also slow (although not as slow) he's miles ahead technically. The rest of the team needs pace and ability, not someone who can take the odd swing at the ball. Ryan Fraser, Watt, McCormack, McKay, Phillips  - all quick, technical players that can stretch the opposition.

6 hours ago, ZoltanBuchan said:

Oh, and no, he's not in any way Scottish. But, he plays for Scotland, so he's clearly of interest to us. I don't think he should be playing for us, but that's another debate.

His father is a Scot.

18 hours ago, Bannannan said:

Want to play,but aint so good at it as their position in EPL shows.That said I think it's good that they do try instead of the WBA method.

Be quiet. Bournemouth had an excellent season playing football that way given the players they have in their squad and many of them were playing at that level for the first time. And Ritchie has been one of their better players.

He's not quick but he's not a wide player who attempts to beat players with speed.  His game doesn't rely on pace and he's not significantly slower than any of our other central midfield or forward players.

As for not keeping the ball in a Scotland shirt that is in a large part down to the fact that few of our players are technically able to give or receive a good pass and don't take up positions to take possession.  Hence we give the ball away constantly or just lump it.

1 hour ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Be quiet. Bournemouth had an excellent season playing football that way given the players they have in their squad and many of them were playing at that level for the first time. And Ritchie has been one of their better players.

He's not quick but he's not a wide player who attempts to beat players with speed.  His game doesn't rely on pace and he's not significantly slower than any of our other central midfield or forward players.

As for not keeping the ball in a Scotland shirt that is in a large part down to the fact that few of our players are technically able to give or receive a good pass and don't take up positions to take possession.  Hence we give the ball away constantly or just lump it.

What exactly does his game rely on then?

1 hour ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

No, Ritchie gives the ball away or cannot receive it. Bannan, S. Fletcher, Snodgrass, Morrison, Maloney, McGinn, McKay amongst others can all look after a football. Someone that's slow and unskillful i.e. can't commit players, and can't consistently retain possession, is a liability.

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No, Ritchie gives the ball away or cannot receive it. Bannan, S. Fletcher, Snodgrass, Morrison, Maloney, McGinn, McKay amongst others can all look after a football. Someone that's slow and unskillful i.e. can't commit players, and can't consistently retain possession, is a liability.

Bizarrely negative outlook on one of our better players

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Bizarrely negative outlook on one of our better players

He's not wrong with what hes saying. Ritchie has a good left foot and is capable of taking a world class shot or cross. But he is unable to retain possession and constantly gives away needless fouls. He's an average player 

6 minutes ago, Slide Tackle said:

He's not wrong with what hes saying. Ritchie has a good left foot and is capable of taking a world class shot or cross. But he is unable to retain possession and constantly gives away needless fouls. He's an average player 

In a below average squad

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Bannan? McGinn? McKay? Yer aff yer tits.

Guest allyc

Ritchie is decent a enough player.certainly better option than some.if he stays in the epl with a decent team he will only get better.probably one of our only players who is on the upward curve.I think Strachan has done well capping him.I think he potentially could become key.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Bannan that renowned cart horse.

Well, I mean he's not very good is he? Every one thought because he was left footed and small we were moving towards our version of tika taka footballers and it's turned out he is utter guff. It's Just not a very good comparison when criticising Ritchie who at the minute is a few streets ahead of Bannan.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Well, I mean he's not very good is he? Every one thought because he was left footed and small we were moving towards our version of tika taka footballers and it's turned out he is utter guff. It's Just not a very good comparison when criticising Ritchie who at the minute is a few streets ahead of Bannan.

Banann is the most technically gifted player in our squad and in the Championship team of the year, but it's all about opinions.

13 hours ago, Mox said:

streets ahead.......jesus....

Rumours that Man City and Arsenal will bid for Tierney this summer ?

Ive read a few versions of the rags down here and he is getting top reviews and ratings.

Hope he stays at Celtic for a bit to develop further.

23 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

His father is a Scot.

He'd never even been to Scotland before he was called up to our squad. He's not Scottish.