Aberdeen on the move - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

. Too much to ask that designated drivers get free soft drinks? 

Do the folk you are driving there and back not by you soft drinks? Oh aye, sorry, I forgot it's Aberdeen fans we are talking about here.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do the folk you are driving there and back not by you soft drinks? Oh aye, sorry, I forgot it's Aberdeen fans we are talking about here.

I drive my kids to every game so going for a drink soft or otherwise is a very rare event these days. 

My comment was more in trying to suggest that the club could encourage people not to drink by doing the designated driver thing - is that not done in some pubs/clubs? Thought I'd seen it advertised on tv at some point.

Cracking joke though :rollsmile:

The 'Matchday Experience' at Reading is terrible.

There's also very little green space left between Aberdeen and where the ground is. Building along the Lang Stracht is going to reach the roundabout remarkably soon, as is coming the other way from Kingswells. Then it's PrimeFour, the AWPR and the never to be built stadium.

Regardless of the facilities and the location, people will only turn up if they're being entertained.

11 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

I drive my kids to every game so going for a drink soft or otherwise is a very rare event these days. 

My comment was more in trying to suggest that the club could encourage people not to drink by doing the designated driver thing - is that not done in some pubs/clubs? Thought I'd seen it advertised on tv at some point.

Cracking joke though :rollsmile:

It is indeed, but I can't take credit for that one. I stole it from The Flure Joke Book circa 1946.

I ing hate this modern craze, which seems to happening all over Europe btw, of moving stadiums to the outskirts of cities. The great joy of some of the best stadiums in the world are that they are slap bang right in the middle of the community they represent.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I know exactly where Westhill is and it is certainly not "in town".   See those big green bits with cows and sheep on them, that's called the countryside.  See that letter P in AWPR, that stands for Periphery, you might want to look up exactly what that means.

It's not so much a question of how easy it is to get to the ground its all to do with the difference an out of town stadium makes to people's matchday experience and routine and also to the make up of the support. 

There's a big difference to a stadium that is in a city centre, which effectively Pittodrie is and one that out in the sticks, sitting off a dual carriageway junction with no facilities around other than what is actually available in the ground.

Out in the sticks. 

Awesome. 

I suggest the next time you're in Aberdeen,maybe have a trip out and see exactly where Westhill is,sounds like you were last there in the 70's. 

31 minutes ago, Mox said:

I ing hate this modern craze, which seems to happening all over Europe btw, of moving stadiums to the outskirts of cities. The great joy of some of the best stadiums in the world are that they are slap bang right in the middle of the community they represent.

Hard financial realities rather than a craze, unfortunately.

Most clubs can't afford the land prices in city centres, to be able to build a stadium from scratch. It then makes sense to look a cheaper land on the edge of the city.

Just the way it is. If Celtic were ever to move, I doubt if they'd be buying city centre land....they'd move out to the sticks.

And anyway, it's long been believed that the majority of Aberdeen's support comes from the Shire rather than the city. With the by-pass in place, getting to the new WiggyDome should be relatively easy for most.

53 minutes ago, Mox said:

If they didn't, the people they represent would have to move out to the sticks instead. I know which way round I prefer.

Westhills is as far out the city as Peterculter (which is the last stop before you hit full on teuchter neebzo six finger banjo player country). Only Westhills far more isolated and desolate feeling than Peterculter.

Is the goal to find the most depressing strip of industrial wasteland next to a soulless dual carriageway? If so they are definitely on track to achieve their goal. The site like the one in Cove is delightful, a future world heritage site.

Out in the sticks

Edited by thplinth

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Westhills is as far out the city as Peterculter (which is the last stop before you hit full on teuchter neebzo six finger banjo player country). Only Westhills far more isolated and desolate feeling than Peterculter.

Is the goal to find the most depressing strip of industrial wasteland next to a soulless dual carriageway? If so they are definitely on track to achieve their goal. The site like the one in Cove is delightful, a future world heritage site.

You don't half post utter pish.

19 hours ago, deecie said:

Within a mile, there's not 1, but TWO bars....both of which are in hotels.

pittodrie.jpg

Ahhh right so you mean this site - the brown shit coloured patch surrounded by fields and people with too many or few digits.

Yes that is clearly not at all a desolate middle of nowhere depressing shit hole of a location.

Behold New Pittodrie

Edited by thplinth

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Ahhh right so you mean this site - the brown shit coloured patch surrounded by fields and people with too many or few digits.

Yes that is clearly not at all a desolate middle of nowhere depressing shit hole of a location.

Behold New Pittodrie

Those pictures are all out of date.

It's been developed beyond recognition since then.

25 minutes ago, fringo said:

Why are they actually moving ?

(I've not read every post).

Old place is falling to bits.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Behold New Pittodrie

If you're going to use maps and pictures to illustrate a point,you're probably best off using ones that are up to date. 

I'll hazard a guess that's at least 5-6 years old. 

Good effort though,you used a bit of time to make yourself look ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

Out in the sticks

Westhill isn't as far out of the city as Peterculter and it most certainly isn't "isolated".  Not sure if I'm in favour of relocation, but if I was, not sure I could have picked a better site that the one proposed.