Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 158 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Oh aye, forgot about that.

That was a bit bizarre. He wasn’t completely wrong, but he didn’t put his point across well at all.

Thats not really the point I was aiming for. Its a matter of opinion whether any player is good enough for a call up, its debated on here after every squad. However why would he slag off his fellow pro's and give his upcoming opponents extra motivation? Thats the issue for me.

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He really was. 

I think the Aberdeen players probably were included to sell tickets. Likes of Shinnie and Christie deserve to be there, and a friendly is surely all about testing new players, but they’d been overlooked for long enough before the game.

Mclean is pish as you regularly tell us and jack didn’t deserve in on form, although he wasn’t mentioned.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I think the Aberdeen players probably were included to sell tickets. Likes of Shinnie and Christie deserve to be there, and a friendly is surely all about testing new players, but they’d been overlooked for long enough before the game.

Mclean is pish as you regularly tell us and jack didn’t deserve in on form, although he wasn’t mentioned.

The above probably reflects my personal view. Although, Jack was probably the best right back option at the time and seemed to do pretty well. The point being, why would Boyd say what he did about Shinnie not being good enough and undeserving of a call up for a friendly.

I just don't get McLean. He was good yesterday but we get that once every two or three months. Shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland squad. 

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Boyd said on Sportsound Jack shouldn't have been in squad.

32 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I just don't get McLean. He was good yesterday but we get that once every two or three months. Shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland squad. 

It wasn't just that McLean played well yesterday but that he played well playing the role he was signed for.

When he has put in a performance for Aberdeen it has usually been when he has played as one of the deep midfielders because of injuries and due to the opposition he hasn't had to do much defensive work so he just has to pick up the ball and hit a quality pass.

Yesterday he played a more attacking roll where he normally plays but actually offered a threat at goal which he hasn't done enough of.

I'm sure when he was signed he was expected to be a 10 goal a season player.

21 minutes ago, drew said:

It wasn't just that McLean played well yesterday but that he played well playing the role he was signed for.

When he has put in a performance for Aberdeen it has usually been when he has played as one of the deep midfielders because of injuries and due to the opposition he hasn't had to do much defensive work so he just has to pick up the ball and hit a quality pass.

Yesterday he played a more attacking roll where he normally plays but actually offered a threat at goal which he hasn't done enough of.

I'm sure when he was signed he was expected to be a 10 goal a season player.

Don't disagree with any of that Drew. But Mclean has also had plenty of anonymous games in the role he played yesterday.

The real issue I have with him is that I think he probably is a good player but that he just lacks heart and application. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats not really the point I was aiming for. Its a matter of opinion whether any player is good enough for a call up, its debated on here after every squad. However why would he slag off his fellow pro's and give his upcoming opponents extra motivation? Thats the issue for me.

Same with me.

I don't think any of them will get more than a couple of caps (if that) but Boyd shouldn't be saying that.

Especially given his past.

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

Don't disagree with any of that Drew. But Mclean has also had plenty of anonymous games in the role he played yesterday.

The real issue I have with him is that I think he probably is a good player but that he just lacks heart and application. 

That was what I was saying. The role he played yesterday was the one he plays most often and was was signed for but has failed to do well in till yesterday. His best performances have been when he has played a deeper midfield role against weaker teams where he hasn't had to do much defensive work so just picks up the ball sprays passes.

As you say there is definitely a player in there. I think it is more brains than lack of heart though. He hasn't figured out how to play with someone like Rooney up front who is just a goal poacher and everything coming from down the wings. We might start to see a bit more from him with May up front as he'll look to link up with players in support.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Is this opinion a common one throughout the Killie support? He seems to be nothing more than a hun fan boy when he does appear on radio or TV.

I'm happy to persevere with him for now, especially given how poor a signing Lee Erwin has turned out to be.

I just ignore his media work.  Listening to Kris Boyd talking about the sport of football is no more appealing to me than Marti Pellow discussing the history of popular music...

20 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm happy to persevere with him for now, especially given how poor a signing Lee Erwin has turned out to be.

I just ignore his media work.  Listening to Kris Boyd talking about the sport of football is no more appealing to me than Marti Pellow discussing the history of popular music...

I'd punt him in January. He's a fat waste of space.

Erwin was poor yesterday but at least he can run the length of himself. Boyd is getting fatter by the week.

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd punt him in January. He's a fat waste of space.

Erwin was poor yesterday but at least he can run the length of himself. Boyd is getting fatter by the week.

Thought we looked more of a threat when Boyd came on yesterday, their defence was coasting in the 1st half.

His 60 minutes at Murrayfield was decent too.

Unless we can bring in a striker with a similar penalty box pedigree in January I'd hang on to him for the time being.

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Thought we looked more of a threat when Boyd came on yesterday, their defence was coasting in the 1st half.

His 60 minutes at Murrayfield was decent too.

Unless we can bring in a striker with a similar penalty box pedigree in January I'd hang on to him for the time being.

Give you Rooney for Jones........?

Edited by SMcoolJ

7 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

We do sell Monster Munch up here you know! 

I used to leather Monster Munch or Transformer crisps onto an Aberdeen buttery with a slab of margarine and a slice of ham. 

Edited by Ormond