Manchester Aiport - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Manchester Aiport

loons

Is 1.5 hours enough time for a transfer to another plane at Manchester Airport? There is also an option to get fast track at security, will be checked in online and won't have hold luggage to worry about.

Quick question as I haven't been to Manchester Airport before

Edited by loons
a

I've never done a transfer there but the closest I ever came to missing a flight in my life was at Manchester last year; the first & last time I'll ever use use the place. However that was a combination of traffic problems (at 6am) on the M60, delays at bag drop, the size of the place & long delays at security. I always tend to use the small local airports so I just wasn't prepared for how big & busy it is.

Based on my experience, & I'm sure others will know a lot better than me, but 1.5 hours just for security will probably be OK but wouldn't give you a lot of breathing space for any hold ups, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, deecie said:

FYI - I think he's talking about Manchester City Centre there. It's about 8 hours from Aberdeen and you'll need to change at Waverley.

Aww fit. 

So I need to go Aberdeen-Waverley to get to the airport?

This trip is gonna take forever. 

6 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Another Manchester airport query...

How long does it take, roughly, to get from the train station to Terminal 3?

10 - 15 mins, depending on human traffic, your bags, how fit you are feeling, etc. Have your train tickets ready at the top of the ramp! Can be a right carry on if you have put them in a pocket you forgot about. Ticket-checking system is ususally 2 jobsworths using archaic machines instead of the electronic barriers you would expect to see if flying to a similar-sized airport in another developed country.

tip - not much of a tip, but sit as near as you can to the front of the train and get off first. You then get first up the ramps, first in the lifts if you need them, etc. Sounds obvious, but the general fvckwittery of British tourists is not to be underestimated.

13 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

10 - 15 mins, depending on human traffic, your bags, how fit you are feeling, etc. Have your train tickets ready at the top of the ramp! Can be a right carry on if you have put them in a pocket you forgot about. Ticket-checking system is ususally 2 jobsworths using archaic machines instead of the electronic barriers you would expect to see if flying to a similar-sized airport in another developed country.

tip - not much of a tip, but sit as near as you can to the front of the train and get off first. You then get first up the ramps, first in the lifts if you need them, etc. Sounds obvious, but the general fvckwittery of British tourists is not to be underestimated.

Cheers for that!! Thanks. Think my timeframe is a bit tight when I go there, but 10-15 minutes should be adequate.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ray Vaughn said:

Anyone got any recommendations for night before accommodation and parking?

Not accommodation, but for the Malta game in September I have the car booked in for 5 days at the Jetparks Plus car park for £9.99 (it's like the one at Edinburgh where it's just a glorified park and ride, so you keep the keys of your car on you rather than show up and hand it over to a company who look after it for a few days for you). 

10 hours ago, Ray Vaughn said:

Anyone got any recommendations for night before accommodation and parking?

The Premier Inn's at Mere & Bucklow Hill are only a 15 minute drive to the airport & you can usually pick them up for £39 a night.

Staying at Mere in September. Its the nicer of the 2 for food.

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Not accommodation, but for the Malta game in September I have the car booked in for 5 days at the Jetparks Plus car park for £9.99 (it's like the one at Edinburgh where it's just a glorified park and ride, so you keep the keys of your car on you rather than show up and hand it over to a company who look after it for a few days for you). 

Used Jetparks a few times but now we just pay the extra & go to the multi storey.