Worst movie accents - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst movie accents

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing about Connery is in most his films I always feel it takes nothing away from his performance.... granted in Highlander it does raise a few eyebrows, yet can not say its something I really notice or take interest of in the likes of Hunt for Red October (where he plays a Russian/Lithuanian) or Untouchables (where he plays a Irishman).

William Hurt using a English accent in Gorky Park, while playing a Soviet agent is a odd one (but almost every b-list English actor from the early 80's is playing a Russian character in that movie....Even Rikki Fulton puts on a posh English accent).

Don Cheadle in the Oceans series is a good one (for a while I did think he was English) its just the annoying fake cockney slang they try to throw in that is terrible.

Edited by wanderer

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

gerard butler cant even do his own accent

his moisturiser voice over is hilarious

i can understand how he makes the ladies/men wet but non speaking parts only surely

Spot on!

Any attempt he has ever made at an American accent has been cringeworthy and he's become so "Hollywoodised" that even his own accent is fecked up beyond all recognition. He's like the Sheena Easton of the film industry.

Worst thing Paisley has produced since Andrew Neil.

Watched Bridge of Spies a couple of nights ago. Mark Rylance's performance was outstanding and I can see why he won the Oscar. His accent, mixing Scottish with Russian was outstanding, except that he wasn't supposed to be Scottish, but from northern England (Whitley Bay to be precise). Am I missing something? Do they have a Scottish accent in Whitley Bay.

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

Watched Bridge of Spies a couple of nights ago. Mark Rylance's performance was outstanding and I can see why he won the Oscar. His accent, mixing Scottish with Russian was outstanding, except that he wasn't supposed to be Scottish, but from northern England (Whitley Bay to be precise). Am I missing something? Do they have a Scottish accent in Whitley Bay.

Weird as I just watched this the other night and said this to the Wife. I researched it after and Rylance said a Scottish accent was easier to do than a Geordie one as he had a Scottish nanny growing up. I then read that Sting ripped into him about the accent as Sting's own parents lived next door to that spy guy's folks. 

16 hours ago, Stapes said:

Apparently the guy he was playing had a weird hybrid Scottish accent in real life.

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Apparently the guy he was playing had a weird hybrid Scottish accent in real life.

If that's the case then seriously, what a performance. Not only did he nail an accent, which is hard enough in itself. But he nailed the accent of someone who moved between two countries.

23 hours ago, jock strap said:

Leonardo Di Caprio in Gangs of New York.

truly truly horrendous.

See as much as it was weird, this is how I rationalised it. Let's not forget, Leo is brilliant at accents (Blood diamond, Django Unchained, etc).

He is playing a young second generation Irish immigrant who was brought up in an orphanage. His accent would have been a hybrid of Irish from the old country and a New York accent.

I'm in the same position myself, moved to England when I was a kid, and now have some Scottish Edinburgh/West country farmer accent.

J

7 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

See as much as it was weird, this is how I rationalised it. Let's not forget, Leo is brilliant at accents (Blood diamond, Django Unchained, etc).

He is playing a young second generation Irish immigrant who was brought up in an orphanage. His accent would have been a hybrid of Irish from the old country and a New York accent.

I'm in the same position myself, moved to England when I was a kid, and now have some Scottish Edinburgh/West country farmer accent.

J

Blood Diamond? Are you having a laugh? That was one of the worst accents ever!

On 02 April 2016 at 6:50 PM, mcnpauls said:

Going to be heretical and say I thought both Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" and Johnny Lee Miller" in "Trainspotting" were good at Scottish accents.

Same here. Particularly JLM's.

Mel's broke down now and again with certain words or phrases, but for the most part I thought it was pretty good. For me it was certainly no worse than Brendan Gleeson's.

On 3/31/2016 at 7:13 PM, Stapes said:

I was the same as I thought his accent was all over the place.

13 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

The late Pete Postlethwaite in The Usual Suspects as Kobiashi, WTF!!

What was that even supposed to be? Anyone know? It seemed to be some sort of Irish/Welsh/Asian combo!!

Tom Cruise's Irish accent in Far and Away was ropey as feck too.