Weird actions by Scotland players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weird actions by Scotland players

giblet

15 years ago saw us draw with Belgium then play San Marino during the week.

During that second game I witnessed Colin Hendry ignoring the bench and playing like a centre forward scoring two then doing the most obvious assault on a player to get a red card.

something just didn't and still does not feel right what happened that night.

Jump forward 6 years and Garty o'connors obvious attempt at getting a booking to prevent him travelling to the Georgia away game is another one that springs to mind.

anyone got any others?

Didn't Barry Ferguson get a couple of convenient bookings in his time that ruled him out of "dead rubber" games ?

Another weird action was the sensational news that shook world football to it's core in 2008 ..................

Lee McCulloch calling in the journalists and TV cameras to announce he was retiring from international football !

What the feck was all that about ?

Other weird actions from the past .....

The highly predictable way in which Kenny Miller's bottle would inevitably crash when attacking the other teams goal.

The highly predictable way in which Gary Caldwell's bottle would inevitably crash when defending our goal.

And I can't be the only one not to have noticed these two following points ?

Steven Naismith has an infuriating habit of trying to walk the ball into the net instead of taking a shot. Wastes a lot of good opportunities. Any half decent defender easily dispossess him.

Many of our players are extremely reluctant to take a shot from outside the box. 

Re Caldwell, Miller and Naismith are/were they just not showing their level as footballers at international level. They are all 6/7 out of 10 footballers and normally got "found out" at international level after maybe excelling against the likes of St mirren, motherwell and championship level clubs for the majority of their careers. No real surprise to see Naismith having to leave Everton really. 

13 hours ago, giblet said:

During that second game I witnessed Colin Hendry ignoring the bench and playing like a centre forward scoring two then doing the most obvious assault on a player to get a red card.

IIRC he was desperate to get the elusive Scotland hat-trick and was getting a bit frustrated with their defence...

14 hours ago, giblet said:

Jump forward 6 years and Garty o'connors obvious attempt at getting a booking to prevent him travelling to the Georgia away game is another one that springs to mind.

anyone got any others?

Pretty sure Hendry only got booked.  Was also the night of his 50th cap if I remember correctly.

14 hours ago, giblet said:

anyone got any others?

In true Arsene style I never saw the incident but here`s how the Telegraph reported it 

Albani, a 19-year-old student, was sent on as a substitute while Scotland waited to take a corner in injury time and made straight for Hendry, grabbing the Scot's jersey as soon as he came within reach. As Hendry kept his eye on the ball, Albani hung on, almost dragging his jersey off in the process. Hendry tried twice to dislodge Albani with his right elbow and the youngster can be seen to punch the Scotland captain in the ribs with his free hand.

I think he got sent off, can remember one of his goals was a screamer and he started shaking his head after celebrating then he started charging about like a bull in a china shop trying to get his hatrick and elbowed the boy and got sent off, can remember laughing my head off with my mates in the union watching him 

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

I think he got sent off, can remember one of his goals was a screamer and he started shaking his head after celebrating then he started charging about like a bull in a china shop trying to get his hatrick and elbowed the boy and got sent off, can remember laughing my head off with my mates in the union watching him 

He definitely didn't get sent off.

Will always remember that San Marino game, was my first Scotland game! 

Regarding the point of Scotland never shooting from outside the box, that really frustrates me. On so many occasions we should just pull the trigger but instead try one too many passes & lose the ball! 

9 minutes ago, Rory said:

Regarding the point of Scotland never shooting from outside the box, that really frustrates me. On so many occasions we should just pull the trigger but instead try one too many passes & lose the ball! 

Naismith, Maloney and Steven Fletcher are very guilty of that.

Our players just don't have the skills to shepherd the ball into the box for an easy tap in. We have to be ruthless and test the keeper.

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Naismith, Maloney and Steven Fletcher are very guilty of that.

Our players just don't have the skills to shepherd the ball into the box for an easy tap in. We have to be ruthless and test the keeper.

Agree. Ritchie seems a breath of fresh air in that regard. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, giblet said:

Completely forgot about this one.  What the hell was Gough thinking about here?  Big champions league game coming up and wanted rested?

He said it came off a sprinkler and the bounce deceived him. 

Aye ?

7 minutes ago, Boynze said:

always thought gough was a bit of a , and really did not care about playing for scotland

My impression is that Richard Gough only cared about one thing, Richard Gough.  

That doesn't mean he wasn't a great player in his day though. 

On 4/13/2016 at 0:04 PM, glasgow jock said:

He was a very good centre half - but an even better right back imo.

On 4/13/2016 at 1:31 PM, Toepoke said:

Aye his best games for Scotland were at full back...

Totally agree: Gough at right back was superb for us, and with McLeish, Miller and Malpas alongside him, we had an awesome defence. Pity the rest of the areas of the team weren't as dependable in those days.