Dubrovnik / Montenegro - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dubrovnik / Montenegro

Tartan_Don

Tartan-Don, if I was you, I wouldn't actually stay in Dubrovnik. I would stay in Cavtat, a wee resort near the airport south of Dubrovnik, it's stunning. Before heading down to Montenegro, if you have time you should visit Mostar in Bosnia. You wont be disappointed. As Durtyweeker says Budvar is ace. Cracking beach which hosts outdoor concerts etc. Much cheapness to be found in bars and restaurants. Thoroughly recommend you visit Kotor (a walled city. The drive down from Croatia to Montenegro is beautiful and you can stop at some stunning villages on the way. There is a very scenic fijord too that you will drive round. Would love to explore Montenegro a bit more. From what I have seen of it, it is stunning, cheap and friendly even if it is completely overrun with Russians.

14 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Tartan-Don, if I was you, I wouldn't actually stay in Dubrovnik. I would stay in Cavtat, a wee resort near the airport south of Dubrovnik, it's stunning. Before heading down to Montenegro, if you have time you should visit Mostar in Bosnia. You wont be disappointed. As Durtyweeker says Budvar is ace. Cracking beach which hosts outdoor concerts etc. Much cheapness to be found in bars and restaurants. Thoroughly recommend you visit Kotor (a walled city. The drive down from Croatia to Montenegro is beautiful and you can stop at some stunning villages on the way. There is a very scenic fijord too that you will drive round. Would love to explore Montenegro a bit more. From what I have seen of it, it is stunning, cheap and friendly even if it is completely overrun with Russians.

I wan't overly impressed with Cavtat.  It was nice enough to visit for a day but not sure I'd want to stay there.  We stayed in Ploce just up the hill from the Old Town itself which had stunning views of both the Old Town and Lokrum Island.

2013 we stayed in Cavtat for our two week summer holiday. Great wee place, but maybe a bit too wee for the fortnight. Cracking trips to Dubrovnik, Bosnia and Montenegro though. 

In fact we were so impressed with Kotor in Montenegro on a day trip there we went back the following summer for 10 days. Fantastic resort, we stayed at the other side of the bay in a wee village called Muo. We had a lovely big villa only a 10 minute walk into Kotor. Kotor itself is fantastic - like a smaller version of Dubrovnik but not as busy and a hell of a lot cheaper! Great hike up the wall to the ruined castle at the top, brutally hot when I climbed it in mid-July though ?. You can take the short visit to Perast, where a man made island called Our Lady of the Rocks sits -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g304087-d548922-Reviews-Our_Lady_of_the_Rocks-Perast_Kotor_Municipality.html

As said above Budva is also a cracking place. Total party town and heaving with stunning Russian lassies. A much bigger town than Kotor but without the charm imo.

Loads of places to discover if you're driving yourself. The national park is meant to be stunning but we didn't make it there ??

Last summer we flew into Split, stayed 2 nights before getting the ferry over to Hvar for 3 nights. Ferry to Korkula for 2 nights and then another ferry to Dubrovnik. After two nights in Dubrovnik we hired a car and drove to Kotor in Montenegro for 3 nights then into Bosnia visiting Mostar for 2 nights before returning to Split.

One of the best holidays I've been on. Both Split and Dubrovnik have beautiful compact centres crammed with bars/restaurants. The islands were short ferry journeys from Split/Dubrovnik and well worth visiting. Kotor is a fantastic walled town situated at the end of a fjord. It's very busy during the day with tourists but much better in the evenings. I preferred Kotor to Budva which I felt was slightly tacky. Finally Mostar in Bosnia is not too far from Dubrovnik and worth going to see the bridge and the divers!  

Been to Croatia, Bosnia and Montengro. Places like Mostar(Bosnia) and Kotor (Montenegro) are must visits and accessible from Dubrovnik, Also there is a little island just out of Dubrovnik called Lokrum. Tranquil little place. No cars and plenty of quiet areas to just sit there and think. Try to take a drive up to Split as well as there are plenty of places up there. Lots of remaining evidence around the Dubrovnik area and in Bosnia of the recent conflicts with many buildings still bearing shell damage.

ps Dubrovnik takes care of itself. Stunning..

Edited by EddardStark

The  independence war museum is well worth the trip up the cable car.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g295371-d2069404-Reviews-Museum_of_Croatian_War_of_Independence-Dubrovnik_Dubrovnik_Neretva_County_Dalmati.html

I'm repulsed to see/read/hear what they went through to gain their independence, against how 'we' shat ourselves at the very thought of placing a cross in the (correct) feckin box!

Have also been thinking of going to Croatia this year. Seen and heard great things about Plitvice Lakes and Krka National Park. Without a car so would be organised trip. Anyone know if best from Zagreb or Split? Have also seen possibility of trip from Zagreb to Split with park trip on way which sounds good as I`m thinking of visiting Zagreb, Split and Dubrovnik (day trips from there to Montenegro and Bosnia etc) but was an expensive option.

I'm based in Podgorica, Montenegro.

In addition to the good advice given above about Kotor and Budva, I'd recommend a couple of locations inland that are worth a visit. Kolasin is worth it for the drive alone, through the gorge which second in size only to the Grand Canyon. It's about an hour's drive from Podgorica. 

Also consider a trip to the monastery at Ostrog. Again, it's about an hour from Podgorica through Danilovgrad.