U17s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17s

LewisEDI

McAdams, Bowers (Aitchison 73’), Gallacher, Meredith, Duffy, Barjonas (Connolly 64’), Burt (C), Middleton (H.Morrison 73’), McAllister (Hornby 73’), Gilmour (Knox 73’), McLennan (L.Morrison 64’)

The return of Charlie Gilmour was a bit of a shock, as he was not in the original squad (and seemed to be kept pretty much under wraps until last night).... always had a feeling that he would be back (as said, even when he switched to England he will still posting Scotland related stuff on social media..... even last week he posted a photo of him on his Scotland debut with his dad).

14 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

So why did the lad switch? 

As said, probably proud of both his English and Scottish roots.

Played for us, gave England the benefit of the doubt by giving them a chance.... probably felt playing for England was not for him and came back to us.

More shocked he came back to us so soon, as I think he switched to England only midway through last year.... also that he is still eligible for the U17's, as like Jack Harper he is one of these kids we have heard about for years and years now (I actually thought he was closer to 19).

Seem to recall he came in for a bit of stick for it on here as his dad was a coach/scout with SFA links or something like that.

With regards to the game, Mark Burchill was VERY critical of the performance on twitter yesterday (saying if that is the future then we are in trouble!)

On 2/24/2016 at 0:27 PM, wanderer said:

McAdams, Bowers (Aitchison 73’), Gallacher, Meredith, Duffy, Barjonas (Connolly 64’), Burt (C), Middleton (H.Morrison 73’), McAllister (Hornby 73’), Gilmour (Knox 73’), McLennan (L.Morrison 64’)

The return of Charlie Gilmour was a bit of a shock, as he was not in the original squad (and seemed to be kept pretty much under wraps until last night).... always had a feeling that he would be back (as said, even when he switched to England he will still posting Scotland related stuff on social media..... even last week he posted a photo of him on his Scotland debut with his dad).

Now I know that there is no ulterior motive here, but do you ever think that maybe as a middle aged man you shouldn't be following a 17 year old boy on Twitter?

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Played for us, gave England the benefit of the doubt by giving them a chance.... probably felt playing for England was not for him and came back to us.

Wanderer in glass all but a scoof out of it full shocker lol

lets wait and see

anyway good to see him back

Edited by LewisEDI

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

just saw that, good news, any idea of the details of the game against us he is playing for england ? didnt notice that or i would have been on here up in arms

Edited by LewisEDI

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

2014 Victory Shield probably, as that was England's last one before they withdrew from last seasons one.

did he not play for us in that or was that the year before? think he was on the bench. remember his dad was doing some "interviews" with some of the players, was on youtube, cant find now.

edit, you are right.

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/nov/england-u16-scotland-victory-shield-report

he was in our squad in 2013

Edited by LewisEDI

5 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

did he not play for us in that or was that the year before? think he was on the bench. remember his dad was doing some "interviews" with some of the players, was on youtube, cant find now.

Yes.

2 or 3 players from that team switched sides not long after.... MacKenzie Heaney switched to England and seems to be pretty regular for them, and Joshua Laws (boy at Düsseldorf) is now with Australia.

6 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ah, I see the latest Robbie Foy/Cameron Stewart/John Fleck/Feruz has been unearthed. Cue another 3/4 years of conjecture on here until he ends up with Colchester United in the vanarama  johnstone paints league north.

cough, jack harper

14 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ah, I see the latest Robbie Foy/Cameron Stewart/John Fleck/Feruz has been unearthed. Cue another 3/4 years of conjecture on here until he ends up with Colchester United in the vanarama  johnstone paints league north.

to be fair, Foy was over hyped big time, but his career was hampered by injuries that he had to effectively give up the game by the age of 20....Cameron Stewart never played for us (just linked with us for a wee while), Fleck there was a ever so breith period where he should have been at least looked at, and as for Feruz his attitude has basically messed up his career.

Not expecting Gilmour to be the answer to all our problems, but it's a faint glimmer of hope.

12 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

cough, jack harper

Given his age, I think time is still firmly on his side to reach his potential 

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

to be fair, Foy was over hyped big time, but his career was hampered by injuries that he had to effectively give up the game by the age of 20....Cameron Stewart never played for us (just linked with us for a wee while), Fleck there was a ever so breith period where he should have been at least looked at, and as for Feruz his attitude has basically messed up his career.

Not expecting Gilmour to be the answer to all our problems, but it's a faint glimmer of hope.

Given his age, I think time is still firmly on his side to reach his potential 

yes agree re harper that was (slightly) tongue in cheek

34 minutes ago, JECK said:

Someone on here still thinks John Fleck will play for Scotland one day.