Private Car Parking Fines - Scotland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Private Car Parking Fines - Scotland

I park in that car park regularly because I work in Skypark. Got a £100 (£60 if paid promptly) fine last week. I have no intention of paying it so I'll see how that goes.

There's also a clandestine, limited free parking area nearby which I can reveal via PM for a small fee to fellow Finnieston workers.. ?

4 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I park in that car park regularly because I work in Skypark. Got a £100 (£60 if paid promptly) fine last week. I have no intention of paying it so I'll see how that goes.

There's also a clandestine, limited free parking area nearby which I can reveal via PM for a small fee to fellow Finnieston workers.. ?

That the wee "car park" next to Virgin gym?

On 10/03/2016 at 8:20 PM, neil r said:

Thats an out of court settlement. The boy also admitted driving the car at the time. It was also a civil action.

Still never been legally tested in Scotland.

That's what a lawyer I know said, also mentioned that the person must have gotten bad legal advice(if any) and this places like an advert more than a legal event.

Read on moneysavingexpert.com that as long as you don't abuse the system they don't have a leg to stand on, but as soon as you start to abuse it then they have a case they can argue in court. So, if you park there all day every day you are on a sticky wicket. But if you stay just a few minutes over the allowed time you're fine and shouldn't worry. Even a few hours is ok, as long as you don't do it repeatedly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump. My mate told me he’s got a court citation for parking his car in a Co op car park. Says he’s gotten at least 6 or so tickets and they are 80 quid each. He’s been dumping the motor there for a year when at work. Not seen the citation myself yet but what’s the best move forward for him?

Edit: It’s a letter addressed to his name from Gordon & Noble saying payment is required in a week else court action can proceed without further intimation. Not a court citation I see

Edited by HelpPronto

Lucky he has only 6 tickets.   Know someone in a resident's association and they keep records.   If someone is using their spaces over a long period of time it's a no brainer for them to go to court.   No idea what the Co-op's threshold might be.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, Grim Jim said:

Lucky he has only 6 tickets.   Know someone in a resident's association and they keep records.   If someone is using their spaces over a long period of time it's a no brainer for them to go to court.   No idea what the Co-op's threshold might be.

Should he just pay then?

17 minutes ago, HelpPronto said:

Should he just pay then?

Sorry HP, I'm not much help.   I was hinting at extreme cases where someone's been parking regularly over months, say.   Then the parking company or whoever can weigh up legal costs and work out that they'll win as per the original post.   That's what I meant by 'threshold'.   If someone's only parked a few times, they might not bother.   I'm no expert I'm afraid.

Last year I got private parking ticket for leaving car in B&Q for 4 hours on a thursday evening whilst I got train into Glasgow.
Got a series of letters, each of them threatening higher fines / legal action and more aggressive.
Ignored them all - after 5th or 6th letter it stopped - never heard a peep since.

I got a pcn from Euro Car parks this morning for overstating by 12 minutes and 4 seconds. 

It says that if I don't pay the notice within 28 days then it will be passed onto a third party debt collection agency. Am I right to ignore this? The company is in England. Got caught by the car park next to greenock leisure centre. Signs are insignificant and didn't realise we were on the clock. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, Highlander8693 said:

I got a pcn from Euro Car parks this morning for overstating by 12 minutes and 4 seconds. 

It says that if I don't pay the notice within 28 days then it will be passed onto a third party debt collection agency. Am I right to ignore this? The company is in England. Got caught by the car park next to greenock leisure centre. Signs are insignificant and didn't realise we were on the clock. 

If it's on private land (not council owned land) in Scotland you can ignore them. 

In England, they should be paid. 

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If it's on private land (not council owned land) in Scotland you can ignore them. 

My pal has loads though over nearly a period of 12 months. According to him people he knows have been taken to court, is this because their fines amount to £900 ish therefore it’s worthwhile for them?

34 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

There was some legal case or other in England a bit ago that strengthened the hand of these crooks. You still have a chance of ignoring it, but they can be a lot more aggressive now than they were. There are techniques that help (to start with, under no circumstances ever tell the company who was driving). The Pepipoo website is a mine of information with some top experts on this.

5 hours ago, HelpPronto said:

My pal has loads though over nearly a period of 12 months. According to him people he knows have been taken to court, is this because their fines amount to £900 ish therefore it’s worthwhile for them?

I've never received a parking ticket before so this is a new experience as the registered owner of a vehicle. 

11 hours ago, HelpPronto said:

Private or council owned land? 

11 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

There was some legal case or other in England a bit ago that strengthened the hand of these crooks. You still have a chance of ignoring it, but they can be a lot more aggressive now than they were. There are techniques that help (to start with, under no circumstances ever tell the company who was driving). The Pepipoo website is a mine of information with some top experts on this.

Yes there was a significant case which the car parking companies won that means, In England, you should pay if you get them. Lots of stories of folk ignoring them and ending up in situations where they can't get finance because they have CCJs against them. In England, I would always recommend you pay them if you are in the wrong. It's always worth a challenge if you think it's harsh but never ignore them.

It is not the same in Scotland. I'm reluctant to give too much advice just my understanding is they can be ignored. However, I would guess that companies will go the same route as they did in England to change this. 

On 7/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Haggis_trap said:

Last year I got private parking ticket for leaving car in B&Q for 4 hours on a thursday evening whilst I got train into Glasgow.
Got a series of letters, each of them threatening higher fines / legal action and more aggressive.
Ignored them all - after 5th or 6th letter it stopped - never heard a peep since.

We had similar, the wife parked at the cinema in Hamilton and also went to Pizza Hut so was over limit (3 hours I think). There is a machine in cinema where you can enter your reg if you expect to exceed the 3 hours.

Anyway, we got a few letters then got passed to a debt collection agency who after a few letters made an offer of a reduced fine, which I believe was a last desperate attempt.

Ignored them all and they stopped. Got possibly as many as 10 letters before they gave up.

Edited by sbcmfc

• 5 years later...

Anyone with recent experience of private parking charges and whether anything has fundamentally changed? 

Only ever had one years ago and ignored it and it disappeared after a few letters. 

Recently got one from Asda in Barrhead. It used to be fair game for parking but they just brought in restrictions. They issued a warning letter for first offence, but then I got a fine as I’d returned on the same day. So, I could reasonably state that I hadn’t received the warning before the fine - however, that may be the mistake if I choose to engage with them. 

my brother got letter last year for car under his name i was driving 

was regular spot i had parked for 10-15 years when grabbed a beer - then they put up signs which you can't see in dark 

Sent them a letter with my driving license and address, told them i was driving and address all correspondence to me and denied that signs were visible 

i was amused they even wasted their time sending 1-2 follow up letters to me in Houston, Texas - not as though i gave them a UK LICENSE - i gave them my Texas Driving License