Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands

Certainly wasn't disappointed, first time seeing them and really enjoyed it, listened to most of the older stuff before and they sound even better live, played a few new songs which were really good as well, one about the WW1 ship sinking with troops returning after the war was over was haunting, think it's called Iolaire

Support were excellent as well, would certainly recommend them for a listen, just a pity I haven't got tickets for them in Campbeltown next week

It was great. Loved the Iolair song too. First time in the Concert Hall and loved the venue although I think it would have been more fun standing. The sound However was great. When Robert is left to sing unaccompanied you can hear what a terrific voice he has

It was great. Loved the Iolair song too. First time in the Concert Hall and loved the venue although I think it would have been more fun standing. The sound However was great. When Robert is left to sing unaccompanied you can hear what a terrific voice he has

Was first time in the concert hall and said the same, great venue and cracking acoustics although agree would have been better standing

Robert does have a cracking voice, he can sounds great on the ballad types as well as the up and at ye ones

• 1 year later...

Saw Niteworks down at Bearded Theory last year, very enjoyable.  Skerryvore were also on - just can't warm to them.  Maybe I'm prejudiced but they struck me as No-voting Rugby boys.

Skipinnish were on this year - didn't realise Norrie MacIvor had jumped ship from Manran and joined them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

RunRig announced their fair well tour today which will fimish with a concert in stirling,this is a must for me,, grew up listening to them as my mother always had them playing in the kitchem/car ect..after donnie left i lost interest to an extent.my interest was reignited when inpicked up a book called "A dance called america" in the airport,, this book started my interest in the highland clearance's and with that name i thought i would download a few runrig albums of my youth. i always have them playing. A great band who stand for somthing that goes past music,, a truely brilliant band 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

• 4 months later...
54 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Anyone interested in traditional music keep an eye out for Iona Fyfe, very talented young lady, brilliant voice for someone so young 

Thanks for posting that, had never heard of her. Beautiful voice...

On 20/06/2017 at 9:25 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

That tide lines sound like a half decent band,, its the former singer from skippinish who is lead singer, worth a listen 

Aye, Robert Robertson's new band. Going to see them in Dundee next month.

Saw both Skippinish and Julie Fowlis in December, both fantastic nights 👍

32 minutes ago, Padre Andrew said:

Aye, Robert Robertson's new band. Going to see them in Dundee next month.

Saw both Skippinish and Julie Fowlis in December, both fantastic nights 👍

Was at the Pavillion last night to see another cracking show from Skippnish, the support ban Cruinn were excellent as well 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Anybody here at the Martyn Bennett concert in the Hydro? Looked amazing on the telly there. 

Was at that one as well !!! Never seen any kind of orchestra before and was a pretty amazing sound, Danny McAskill and the gymnasts/trapeze artist were fantastic as well, forgot it was on the telly tonight so will have a watch tomorrow 👍

To make it a busy week also saw the Levellers acoustic gig on Thursday, there were fantastic as well 👍

Edited by DOUBLE A

Lots of great shouts in here. There's an Irish band called The Gloaming who are quite good - like a Celtic/almost post-rock fusion.

I've started listening to the Corries recently - more than just a few songs - and they truly were a marvellous band. This song gives me goose bumps and almost tears everytime I hear it! 

WONDERFUL.

• 3 months later...

Some great links in here.

Not West Coast or Gaelic, but Ewen McLennan's music is very nice - if you like Kris Drever etc, I think you would like him.

And Fraser Shaw's stuff is very good too - trad, instrumental music from Islay - his/their (as their is a full ceilidh band on it) album Mac Ile is very good.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...