Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

I try to avoid the Murdoch media if I can, but if he backs the YES side it will be over 60% to stay in. The whole thing will turn into a bit of a damp squib. Is anybody of any significance campaigning for us to say NO? Or is it just all hype to make the stories sound interesting? I haven't paid much attention to the EU debate so far.

There's no Yes or No side, the question was changed... Which I'm bloody thankful for cos I could never remember which side I was on :lol:. There isn't anyone campaigning for either side at the moment as there isn't a date set. I reckon it will be an early referendum, short campaign and a very low turnout.

As far as debate among the public goes I've not seen much to be honest, a few racists here and there, a few business folk here and there.

The only debate I've seen of consequence so far was actually between a friend of mine and her colleagues. She's a nurse and there were some excellent contributions from both sides. People worried about their jobs, the inevitable privatisation of the health service, the strain on staff if freedom of movement is removed. It really was excellent.

Edit: the above exchange will be in exact contrast to what the mainstream campaign will be.

Edited by Scunnered

Would it? I would think that in that scenario the UK establishment including most of the media would be eternally grateful. As has frequently been said, probably the best bet for indie ref 2 would be an rUK OUT outweighing a Scottish IN. In the end I expect a narrow cross-UK IN.

The right wing media is no fan of Scotland as it is, I expect the Daily Mail etc to be seething at us. The BBC is lambasted for being left wing communists, and for being right wing Neanderthals at the same time, a significant number of presenters seem to have an issue with us.

I have no doubt that a significant minority of people would be glad of the result, but the Nigel's of middle England could possibly explode if we denied them the opportunity to rid themselves of the EU.

Independence would be achievable if Scotland voted in, but England voted out, and succeeded. This country is splitting apart anyway, there is no going back regardless.

One thing I've never understood, and granted I may have a simplistic view brought on by that I've been anti-EU for my entire adult life and hoping someone can shed some light on for me. People who are anti House of Lords, but support the EU, how does one unelected body that is way beyond reform differ from another unelected body that is also way beyond reform? It could also be argued, and I certainly would, that the EU commission has much more power than the HoL does.

For me there is a clear line from democratic action (voting) and the commission. The fact that people don't take the MEP elections seriously is the concern. Whereas the House of Lords appointments are at best random, and at no point go to a vote.

I think what people struggle to grasp as a concept, is Europe doesn't revolve around Britian. We are constituent member parts. Voting UKIP to represent you and frustrate a body in the European Parliament is madness.

From the EU commission website.

1 President, 7 Vice-Presidents and 20 Commissioners

A new team of 28 Commissioners (one from each EU Member State) is appointed every five years.

The candidate for President of the Commission is proposed to the European Parliament by the European Council that decides by qualified majority and taking into account the elections to the European Parliament.

The Commission President is then elected by the European Parliament by a majority of its component members (which corresponds to at least 376 out of 751 votes).

Following this election, the President-elect selects the 27 other members of the Commission, on the basis of the suggestions made by Member States. The final list of Commissioners-designate has then to be agreed between the President-elect and the Council. The Commission as a whole needs the Parliament's consent. Prior to this, Commissioners-designate are assessed by the European Parliament committees.

The current Commission's term of office runs until 31 October 2019. Its President is Jean-Claude Juncker.

J

I'm really torn on the EU. On the one hand I agree with the principle of free trade between the countries, freedom of movement and the likes of common standards and practices across Europe. I also think that the EU is the reason there hasn't been any conflict between EU countries since its formation due to countries being so economically tied to one another that its not in anyone's benefit to go to war within the EU.

However, and it's a big however, the EU is well down the route of being a mechanism to promote corporate interests over the rights of citizens. See TTIP as well as EU influence over democratic elections in Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal.

I think I'm in favour of the original principle and premise of the EU but the current practice of the EU is where I find myself in disagreement with it.

It's definitely a difficult decision for me.

I'm really torn on the EU. On the one hand I agree with the principle of free trade between the countries, freedom of movement and the likes of common standards and practices across Europe. I also think that the EU is the reason there hasn't been any conflict between EU countries since its formation due to countries being so economically tied to one another that its not in anyone's benefit to go to war within the EU.

However, and it's a big however, the EU is well down the route of being a mechanism to promote corporate interests over the rights of citizens. See TTIP as well as EU influence over democratic elections in Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal.

I think I'm in favour of the original principle and premise of the EU but the current practice of the EU is where I find myself in disagreement with it.

It's definitely a difficult decision for me.

I absolutely agree with the concept of free movement, what reasonable person wouldn't? But the way it's currently implemented, especially for migrant workers is draconian. A migrant worker should be entitled to the same rights as a domestic worker, but with more and more cases being brought before the EU courts and time and time again being found in favour of corporate the precedent has already been set. Reformation isn't an option in my humble opinion.

I want workers to be able to work anywhere in Europe, anywhere in the world even, but the current system allows for and even favours exploitation.

I cannot find words adequate enough to express my loathing of the european political elite. As loathsome as I find the tories the smarmy kunts in Brussels have taken it to a whole new depth. We all wanted a Common Market which is exactly what they called it when they sold the idea to the public but of course they were lying and now we have this horrendous federal europe monstrosity. I fukking despise it. I would happily take the same status as Norway has and get out of it. Also Merkel is a dangerous nutcase and her treatment of Greece makes me wonder if she trying break it up more than keep it together.

I actually think it is doomed and we'd be better getting out before it gets ugly. Coerced Engineered Immigration... coming to your neighbourhood soon.

Just look at the eurovision song contest - that is the real europe. :wink2:

edit: if you offered the Common Market and no federal europe I would guess you'd get a majority in support in every country in the EU. The only whanks who want what we have now are the politicians.

Edited by thplinth

How can you ban a religion from entering a country ?

It's not as if a passport has your religion on it.

The guy is an idiot being voted for by idiots.

Yeah but we all know what a muslim looks like right? Brown skin, funny hat. Sling yer hook Abdul.

That's how they'll do it no?

Undecided. Like others have said, I support the principles but have real problems with the practice. So the dilemma I have is whether it's better to come out and hope for reform/rebuild, or to stay in and affect reform/rebuild. The former seems to have more bite but more risk, while the latter is safer but less likely to affect change.

Ill also admit to being somewhat influenced by the independence campaign as well: what will make it more likely? I find this important because no matter which of the scenarios above plays out, being represented by the UK Government in the EU is every bit an issue as the EU itself.

All things considered, I'd probably settle for voting to remain in the EU especially if rUK votes to leave. That will be a trigger for another referendum IMO, which we'll likely win and would represent a unique political and economic opportunity to reestablish Scotland as an independent nation.

Nah, as per my post above, I think very unlikely that Trump beats Clnton.

Two reasons:

1. He has completely alienated the Hispanic vote and it is very difficult to win without them.

2. He is relying on the vote of a bunch of people who don't normally vote.

Clinton for Prez.

Your second prediction is looking more and more likely,

your 2nd point is very valid, most people who agree with Trump are too stupid to know how to register to vote

When Trump was first set loose he looked like a rank outsider to win the republican nomination. Yet he has consistently destroyed them so far. Jeb Bush looks fukking haunted and a shadow of the man he imagined himself to be. Ha Ha.The whank.

This is despite enormous and at time ridiculous media attempts to scupper him by fair means or foul. The whanks.

Who can say "Muslims cannot come into the US" and then increase his lead. Who! The Donald is who.

Billary might be the favourite at the start. But so was Jeb...