Snooker Thread - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snooker Thread

Angus_Young

Haha aye I've been doing the same all week mate. 

The semi final was £45 per session this year. Next year it's up to £55 so there is obviously a bit more value in that. You also have the bonus of being able to see 4 different players. 

• 11 months later...

I gave up on TV snooker years ago because of the unbelievable over analysis

Even before i chucked it i was only interested in Hendry's games

I switched over earlier and it's hard to believe that it is even worse

Do i really need 8 analysts telling me what a great shot/frame that was ?

I wonder how much wages the BBC are paying to these ex players to constantly talk when a frame is being played ?

Hendry, Parrott, Virgo, Taylor, Davis, Doherty ?

Ruined it

• 1 year later...

One year on and we're back at the Crucible for another nerve jangler.

Higgins looked dead and buried but he's roared back into contention.

Oldest winner for 40 years guaranteed whoever gets it.

37 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

One year on and we're back at the Crucible for another nerve jangler.

Higgins looked dead and buried but he's roared back into contention.

Oldest winner for 40 years guaranteed whoever gets it.

I did think it would be finished early tonight.

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Despise Higgins after the bung incident

Hmm as that Radio Clyde commentator once said: 'You've been suckered.' 

That video had been heavily edited and cut and remastered to portray Higgins as badly as it could hence why the WPBSA threw it out. And can we please remember where that video came from - the News of the World. Gutter press that was so deep in the gutter that it finally was closed down. Also why do fellow pros speak so highly of John? I mean come on now. These fellow pros tour with him, share hotels with him and are more often than not beaten by him. Those are the ones that would have the biggest axe to grind and be most irate at Higgins if they thought there was an ounce of truth to the reports. But no, to a man, they all speak very highly of him - that says it all to me. They know him far better personally than any of us do and so their opinion counts for so much more than those that don't.

I saw this blog post going through the video and it did a great job of debunking the claims. It was ages ago now so can't find it anymore. It was right when Hearns was taking over as well.

When the story broke there were a couple of guys at my work who are/were really good on the amateur scene and one of them came from Wishaw

They were not one bit surprised as they knew other stories about him being a bit shady and being a gambler

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

When the story broke there were a couple of guys at my work who are/were really good on the amateur scene and one of them came from Wishaw

They were not one bit surprised as they knew other stories about him being a bit shady and being a gambler

'Stories'? The word in itself says it all. The fellow pros that travel with, practice with, play with, eat with and stay in hotels with Higgins throughout long spells of the year over the 25 years that Higgins has been a pro know him much better. Find me one of those pros who think he was guilty then you are doing very well. And remember they'd have the most to gain if he had been turfed out of snooker if he were guilty.

No concrete evidence of match fixing in snooker But just like everyone one who works in an office they have a good idea who's shagging who

Doherty then turned his attention to O'Sullivan's assertion that Lee's actions are not an isolated incident within the world of snooker.

"I think what happened has happened in the past. Some people have got away with it in the past, no doubt about it," said Doherty. "But I think since the John Higgins thing (Higgins was suspended in 2010 for failing to report an approach to breach betting rules following a tabloid sting) and since Stephen Lee, most people were flabbergasted. I mean Stephen Lee was No 5 in the world and earned something like £300,000 prize money in the space of 18 months. You wouldn't believe that a top professional who was at the height of his career and earning that type of money was still willing to cheat for the sake of £100,000. It doesn't bear significance to what the punishment of the crime may be.

"Why on earth would you want to do something like that? You might think it was someone down the end of the line who wasn't earning a penny that could be pressurised but not Stephen Lee. That's why they were flabbergasted and a lot of players are also flabbergasted by Ronnie O'Sullivan's comments. I think it has gone on in the past but not since the investigation into Stephen Lee and particularly after the John Higgins thing. All players were frightened to death of doing anything. I think Ronnie is wrong. I don't think anyone is throwing games in snooker at the moment."

• 11 months later...

World Championships start tomorrow. Anyone going? I've got tickets got the second Sunday, and it looks like it might be Trump and Ding, but possibly McGill. Never been before, so looking forward to it. 

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Amateur Cahill will be kicking himself that he only leads Ronnie 5-4. Ronnoe missing shots galore and resembled a man who would rather be somewhere else.

Cahill should be 6-4 up, at the very least.

Hopefully Cahill can take another 5 frames. If he can keep it together between the ears he can. He was fantastic yesterday.

O'Sullivan does do this on occasion, where he just swings his cue and plays 1000mph. Usually he does it in Asian tournaments and it's a tell that he doesn't really want to be there. Never seen him play like that at the Crucible, though.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Cahill should be 6-4 up, at the very least.

Hopefully Cahill can take another 5 frames. If he can keep it together between the ears he can. He was fantastic yesterday.

O'Sullivan does do this on occasion, where he just swings his cue and plays 1000mph. Usually he does it in Asian tournaments and it's a tell that he doesn't really want to be there. Never seen him play like that at the Crucible, though.

Cahill now leads 8-5 at their mid-session interval. These sorts of performances re-inforce why I still say Ronnie is NOT the GOAT. He lacks the ravenous desire and ruthlessness and the consistency that Davis and Hendry had at their peak. Plus they both had spells of diminance which Ronnie has never had.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cahill now leads 8-5 at their mid-session interval. These sorts of performances re-inforce why I still say Ronnie is NOT the GOAT. He lacks the ravenous desire and ruthlessness and the consistency that Davis and Hendry had at their peak. Plus they both had spells of diminance which Ronnie has never had.

8-5 and if Ronnie doesn't turn it around it will be the biggest upset ever to happen at the World Championships. He's just been distracted all match. In fairness to Cahill, he's been there to take advantage of it. Usually O'Sullivan win matches without even potting a ball, most players are intimidated by him. Credit to Cahill for standing up to him.

I think it's only English people who cite O'Sullivan as the greatest of all time. He isn't. He may have had most centuries, he's sharing the most ranking titles, and will probably surpass it, but Hendry won 8 World Championships in a row. That's something that will never be equalled.

Plus Davis and Hendry never needed a sports psychologist or the aid of sightright to improve.

9 minutes ago, Chripper said:

8-5 and if Ronnie doesn't turn it around it will be the biggest upset ever to happen at the World Championships. He's just been distracted all match. In fairness to Cahill, he's been there to take advantage of it. Usually O'Sullivan win matches without even potting a ball, most players are intimidated by him. Credit to Cahill for standing up to him.

I think it's only English people who cite O'Sullivan as the greatest of all time. He isn't. He may have had most centuries, he's sharing the most ranking titles, and will probably surpass it, but Hendry won 8 World Championships in a row. That's something that will never be equalled.

Plus Davis and Hendry never needed a sports psychologist or the aid of sightright to improve.

Cahill is winning by staying mentally strong and not being intimidated by who he is playing as a lot of players are.He is in here in frame 14, flukes a black and then misses a sitter to break down on 30. Chance for Ronnie.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cahill is winning by staying mentally strong and not being intimidated by who he is playing as a lot of players are.He is in here in frame 14, flukes a black and then misses a sitter to break down on 30. Chance for Ronnie.

Thanks for reiterating what I just said. :P

My money would still be on O'Sullivan... but it isn't.