Cruises - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cruises

Ormond

I've never been on one before but I am on one in two weeks time around the Bahamas. It's nothing major just a 4 night job with a few nights after back on land buggering about Orlando. Are there any great tips you lot have for me with regards to ship attire, etc? I have a balcony view and I just know I'm going to end up with a fat, mouthy Yank on either side of me. :(

Edited by Ormond

What ship are you on?

Carnival Sensation. It's not one of the more exclusive ones but for my first time I wasn't paying top dollar for something I might not like. If I enjoy it then next time I'll do a more exclusive one. Like I said though, I did pay more to have my own private balcony above the sea. The room I have is larger than your basic rooms also.

I have heard that tipping on American ships is mandatory and high. Hopefully thats wrong.

Not sure whether it's high or not but I do know that a statutory tipping fee is added to your daily bill for on-board expenditure that you square up at the end of your trip.

Not sure whether it's high or not but I do know that a statutory tipping fee is added to your daily bill for on-board expenditure that you square up at the end of your trip.

Try and pay your tips before you go, you might get a discount, it can add up to 13 dollars per head a day, cruising is great, just try and loose a few pounds before you go,

'Statutory tipping'? What if you get a crap service and don't want to pay? What happens then?

No idea. I'm hoping I just get great service and it's not an issue!

You can opt out and tip as you feel necessary.

That's what I did when we went on an Alaskan cruise in 2013.

Having the balcony is well worth it too.

4 days will be long enough cooped up with the obese brigade.

Although I won't be rushing back I hope you enjoy yours......

Jump ship in Grand Bahama. Spent some great times out there when the missus worked near Lucaya.

I've booked a full day's canoe trip for the day we are there. Each person in a separate canoe paddling into all the small rivers and mangroves through the Lucayan National Park. Food and drink supplied too. I'll enjoy that.

I've booked a full day's canoe trip for the day we are there. Each person in a separate canoe paddling into all the small rivers and mangroves through the Lucayan National Park. Food and drink supplied too. I'll enjoy that.

Aye, I've done that. It's a great way to explore the mangroves. Enjoy.

I went on a cruise on Carnival Victory in 2009 in the Caribbean. Have to say it was bloody fantastic -the ship's staff were brilliant , the food was sensational - put a stone on in a week - doesn't help having in the region of six or seven puddings at lunch and four at night. Entertainment on board was excellent with different shows and comedians. Only bad bit was having to leave the ship - didn't want to.

I've never been on one before but I am on one in two weeks time around the Bahamas. It's nothing major just a 4 night job with a few nights after back on land buggering about Orlando. Are there any great tips you lot have for me with regards to ship attire, etc? I have a balcony view and I just know I'm going to end up with a fat, mouthy Ya

nk on either side of me. :(

I wore my kilt on my honeymoon cruise on the first night as it was the formal night. Edited by Robroysboy

My wife wants me to do this on the formal night but it's a pain in the arse taking all it down on the plane.

Just back from carnival ecstasy. The Americans do not do the formal stuff. You are lucky if they put on a pair of farrahs and a polo shirt. Only one or two people do the formal wear.. also watch out for all the non tippers giving the last night in the restaurant a miss so as not to tip the waiters. Comedy club punchliner is good but might be a bit risqué for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Never been on a cruise (always been put off by thought of formal dress at meals, having to be sociable with strangers at mealtimes and above all seasickness) though took many ferries from England to France, Scotland to Ireland, to Scottish islands plus Newcastle to Scandinavian ports (pity these were stopped or couldn`t have been continued from Scotland)in past . Now got chance to go to USA by Cunard from Southampton to New York. Both directions by ship as some non flyers in group. Read some great things about Queen Mary 2 experience especially arrival at NY. have just seen alternative ship for westwards this summer (Sea Princess from Dover to NY via Ireland, Canadian port and Boston) which would mean 4 extra days to see USA and Canada instead of 16 days between Cunard ships. Read that QM 2 is well-equipped for Atlantic crosiings even in bad weather. Anyone know if crossing Atlantic in cruise ship like Sea Princess is likely to be bad in storms etc? Dover-NY is first part of their world cruise and is also what they call positioning I think. (when they need to take cruise ships from/to Med to Caribbean).

• 2 weeks later...