Oil - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've always wondered if this whole oil crisis was some how "managed" into a worse state than necessary by the UK government to kill off the thoughts of independence with some supporters. I'm sure some will call it paranoia but history shows London will do anything to stop them losing Scotland, after all if we were suck a burden why would they hang on to us? The answer is they wouldn't because they want and need us.

I think you're giving THIS UK government far to much credit.

On 11/08/2017 at 11:41 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

I find it unbelievable that the SG have not set up a system of their own to calculate the economic output of Scotland 

My understanding is that they have Scottish Government economists and statisticians that look at GERS ahead of each publication, hence why they don't tend to dispute it. It's all 'best guess' work, but the best 'best guess' work available.

7 hours ago, drew said:

I think you're giving THIS UK government far to much credit.

I agree with that as the uk government do not have the clout to influence global oil prices, however it would not come as a surprise if the uk government encouraged the Saudi's with to make a short term dip in the price post referendum,, the saudi's never had the intention of completely crashing the market,, it just got out of control 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

To say a Government couldn't do something is a misnomer. Remember that it's the same Whitehall mandarins that are there whichever political party are in residence. 

They may not have worked the "crisis" but it looks like they haven't helped ours by the way that they have basically lay on their backs and had their bollocks tickled by the oil multinationals. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I can bet my left leg this discovery is ten fold bigger than is stated, just like the buzzard, lancaster, claire ect..companies always underestimate their discoveries mostly because it keeps the government away to an extent with regards to taxation,, and it suites the governments agenda just now not to call them out on the true reserves of the feilds 

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Unsurprising to 45% of us ....

• 6 months later...

huge survey about to be undertaken in the moray firth, creel/static gear fishermen being asked to move their gear

https://www.pgs.com/media-and-events/news/acquisition-commences-on-moray-firth-phase-3/

also heard that drilling has commenced to the west coast of the Hebrides, how accurate that is i am not sure 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

• 1 month later...

Oil now heading towards the 100$ i reackon it will go mid 90’s before settling at 90ish. With the production from the northsea away to ramp up with claire ridge, glen lyon, culzean, mariner, buzzard phase two to name a few the gers figures(yes they are not accurate) will be looking very healthy this time next year IMO. The economic argument will have grown in that repsect. To me there is a noticeable ramping up to bringing new fields online, could this be to fill the brexit black hole?

15 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Oil now heading towards the 100$ i reackon it will go mid 90’s before settling at 90ish. With the production from the northsea away to ramp up with claire ridge, glen lyon, culzean, mariner, buzzard phase two to name a few the gers figures(yes they are not accurate) will be looking very healthy this time next year IMO. The economic argument will have grown in that repsect. To me there is a noticeable ramping up to bringing new fields online, could this be to fill the brexit black hole?

Shame the wages have not been reflected in this ramping up..

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

That along with rota changes seem to be on its way 

I noticed there were a few "north sea tigers" moaning because half a year off isn't enough. Some of those guys really do live on a different planet

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I noticed there were a few "north sea tigers" moaning because half a year off isn't enough. Some of those guys really do live on a different planet

13 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, my heart bleeds for them. 

As I am currently working as an agency mechanic on a platform north west of shetland and still have 15 days to work before I get home let me explain a few things.

• My 52 weeks are on a 3 on 3 off rotation, I may not be home for Birthdays, weddings, funerals, christmas or new year as every day is Monday out here.  So effectively I work 187 days per year
  • I MUST work a minimum 84hr week, 7 x 12hrs with absolutely no days off.  21 x 12hrs nightshift is hard going.
  • I sleep in a cabin not much larger than a cell and on a top bunk bed with a complete stranger sleeping less than 3 feet below me snoring, farting or sniffing my boxers with only a curtain between us. (trust me you dont want to put the light on when the curtain is closed, some of the stains are very suspect)
  • I eat when they tell me to eat with no access to making anything I want.
  • I cannot go outside in the summer, even offshift if the weather is occasionally scorching without overalls, hard hat, gloves, boots and hearing protection.  (this summer was superb)
  • I MUST work in all weather conditions to get the rig working, missing meals, rest times etc
  • Did I mention I cannot drink or take drugs either 

I could go on but that would seem like whinging 😉

Now, as much as I get 186 days off, I technically lose 2 days travelling to and from work. so 9 trips = 18 days, so now im at  168 days off

Onshore workers,

• 5 days @ 37hrs per week. 2 days off 
  • 8 statuary holiday and 28 days annual leave = 36 days (not including sickies) 
  • 48 weekends x 2 = 96 days off + 36 holidays = 132 days off

So, I get on average 36 days off more than most Per Annum.

Now the good part, 

• Since 2014 my annual salary has dropped around £35000
  • If I get a full years work I earn a little more than onshore, I've applied for many jobs onshore but because I work in the Oil industry they are not interested.
  • I go home after 3 weeks of hard slog and wait for a phone call to see if I am invited to return 3 weeks later.
  • I may have to sit at home for months on end with no pay waiting on a phone call.
  • I would love to hang up my hard hat but doesn't look likely
  • I have to pay for all my courses to stay available for work whether I get any or not. ( look up the prices of some offshore courses, anywhere from £100 to £1500)

Thank you very much for the bleeding heart, and I do live on Earth, flat or not.

6 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

As I am currently working as an agency mechanic on a platform north west of shetland and still have 15 days to work before I get home let me explain a few things.

• My 52 weeks are on a 3 on 3 off rotation, I may not be home for Birthdays, weddings, funerals, christmas or new year as every day is Monday out here.  So effectively I work 187 days per year
  • I MUST work a minimum 84hr week, 7 x 12hrs with absolutely no days off.  21 x 12hrs nightshift is hard going.
  • I sleep in a cabin not much larger than a cell and on a top bunk bed with a complete stranger sleeping less than 3 feet below me snoring, farting or sniffing my boxers with only a curtain between us. (trust me you dont want to put the light on when the curtain is closed, some of the stains are very suspect)
  • I cannot go outside in the summer, even offshift if the weather is occasionally scorching without overalls, hard hat, gloves, boots and hearing protection.  (this summer was superb)
  • I MUST work in all weather conditions to get the rig working, missing meals, rest times etc

Now, as much as I get 186 days off, I technically lose 2 days travelling to and from work. so 9 trips = 18 days, so now im at  168 days off

Onshore workers,

Now the good part, 

• If I get a full years work I earn a little more than onshore, I've applied for many jobs onshore but because I work in the Oil industry they are not interested.
  • I go home after 3 weeks of hard slog and wait for a phone call to see if I am invited to return 3 weeks later.
  • I may have to sit at home for months on end with no pay waiting on a phone call.
  • I have to pay for all my courses to stay available for work whether I get any or not. ( look up the prices of some offshore courses, anywhere from £100 to £1500)

Thank you very much for the bleeding heart, and I do live on Earth, flat or not.

You forgot getting the noisiest rooms on the platform and [sometimes] crap monotonous food. 

Then there’s all the courses you have to pay for and the continuous testing. 

Apart from that you’re spot on. 

👍🏻

Posted from offshore. 

7 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Onshore workers,

Now the good part, 

The only part I have sympathy for is your salary, with the price of oil going up and the industry improving you should at least see your salary return to what it was. 

The rest is your chosen profession and you still get more than 7 weeks more time off than most people, I could sit here telling you how hard it is for a lot of my friends and family in the fishing industry, with the exception of a small few the rest of my friends and family work in the oil industry but they don’t moan about it, they understand they chose the profession and they get on with their work 

As for your description of onshore workers, that’s certainly not my case and not the case for most. You chosen the best case scenario to make your situation sound worse, 

let me show you my week but bare in mind I’m not  looking for sympathy, there’s always someone worse off than me and I chose to do my line of work.

12-15 hours per day - more often than not including Saturday. Sunday I’m exhausted because of it

holdiays - lucky if I can enjoy them without a phone call from work or a client in desperate need of help. I’ve not had five weeks holiday I’m year for almost four years. Even on bank holidays I find myself catching up on work because it’s peaceful with no calls.

i know a few teachers, do you think their week is actually 37.5 hours? and certainly don’t get the same holidays as the kids. Even the onshore workers I know in the oils industry don’t work 37.5 hours a week

im not necessarily saying this is you but I know offshore workers who openly admit they’re not actually working 12 hour shifts when away so let’s not pretend it’s a Filipino sweat shop for everyone offshore.

sorry if your conditions don’t suit you and I know things have changed in the oil industry over the last few years but please don’t twist things to make your situation sound worse. 

Your salary dropped by £35k? As in it "dropped" by £10k MORE than the national average salary?

There's folk in the call centre in my work earning £18k a year for a 40hr week, with 25 days annual leave and 7 stats.

Forgive me for my bleeding heart when I hear about those in the oil industry moaning.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Your salary dropped by £35k? As in it "dropped" by £10k MORE than the national average salary?

There's folk in the call centre in my work earning £18k a year for a 40hr week, with 25 days annual leave and 7 stats.

Forgive me for my bleeding heart when I hear about those in the oil industry moaning.

Pretty much correct about call centres, I did 5 years at one of the better ones. Amazing the number of employees educated to degree and above who cannot get work elsewhere. Offshore workers should be a bit humble instead of moaning.

12 minutes ago, teecee- said:

Pretty much correct about call centres, I did 5 years at one of the better ones. Amazing the number of employees educated to degree and above who cannot get work elsewhere. Offshore workers should be a bit humble instead of moaning.

Call centre employees with degrees should have used their brains before venturing on their particular choice of degrees. 

Maybe they wouldn’t have been stuck in a call centre. 

5 minutes ago, antidote said:

Call centre employees with degrees should have used their brains before venturing on their particular choice of degrees. 

Maybe they wouldn’t have been stuck in a call centre. 

offshore workers should have used their brains before deciding to go into the industry, maybe they wouldn't be stuck in a cabin which smells like farts

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

offshore workers should have used their brains before deciding to go into the industry, maybe they wouldn't be stuck in a cabin which smells like farts

The opportunities in the oil industry cant be matched by many other industries in terms of pay and opportunities. I have traveled all over the world with the industry and made decent cash also, the time off is brilliant as well 👍