Surreal Managerial Appointments - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Surreal Managerial Appointments

Surely Gary Neville being put in the position at Valencia must be up there? Still looking for his first win. However the media down were only yesterday reporting that Neville was not interested in taking over from Roy Hodgson when the current manager leaves. There is also a growing campaign to have Giggs replace LVG as manager at Utd,. What next,David Beckam managing Spurs :wink2:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Barnes at Celtic.

He had no experience, no connection to the club and there was nothing to suggest he'd be a success.

Kenny Dalglish's pal. It's not what you know but who. When they signed Ian wright did it not turn out Barnes and or Dalglish had a connection ( financial stake)in the agent company that arranged the deal.

Whole arrangement stank but was only looked at closely when the results went tips up.

John Barnes at Celtic.

He had no experience, no connection to the club and there was nothing to suggest he'd be a success.

Idiotic appointment but obviously down to.the Dalglish connection. Am I right in saying he took over for a spell once Barnes was punted?

Edit - in fact he definitely did as he held a press conference in one of the shitehole boozers.

Edited by Angus_Young

There's always some mental names get flung about when jobs come up.

In the case of Motherwell, we've had some poor managers, and some left field appointments, but nothing really jaw dropping I can think of.

Dino Zoff was strongly linked with the job at one point.

Suppose Terry Butcher as number 2 at Scotland was a bit surreal!

Agree with Eddard. Was baffled by the folk who thought Neville would be a success because he spoke well on Sky. Was always going to be a disaster.

I'd go as far as to say Moyes at Utd.

We'll sack Deila when we don't qualify for the CL next season. I'm certain we'll have another name to add to the list then!

I disagree that Moyes belongs on the same list as the likes of Barnes and Neville. Strongly disagree.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Agree with Eddard. Was baffled by the folk who thought Neville would be a success because he spoke well on Sky. Was always going to be a disaster.

I'd go as far as to say Moyes at Utd.

We'll sack Deila when we don't qualify for the CL next season. I'm certain we'll have another name to add to the list then!

Agreed. Ill give Neville his due, he himself admitted he would be sceptical about his appointment. The guy knows the game and was an excellent pro, but to walk straight into such a high profile position in a foreign country, is madness imo.

Funny you mention Moyes, could he be your next gaffer?

I think Moyes was the wrong appointment in hindsight, but at the time I doubt many folk thought so.

I'm sure some people will claim they knew it would end in tears, but a lot of folk, myself included thought he seemed a natural successor.

In hindsight I can see why it didn't work mind you.

I think Moyes was the wrong appointment in hindsight, but at the time I doubt many folk thought so.

I'm sure some people will claim they knew it would end in tears, but a lot of folk, myself included thought he seemed a natural successor.

In hindsight I can see why it didn't work mind you.

The big disappointment for me with Moyes is that he is a manager with a history for building a team on a solid defence, everyone could see Man Utd needed a major rebuilding of the defence yet he simply didn't address the problem.

I'd take Moyes at Celtic.

Na, Moyes was an insane appointment IMO.

If he didn't remind SAF of himself & was born elsewhere, he'd never have been looked at. When Mourinho was available, it made it all the more absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I like Moyes & would love to see him at Celtic. I don't think it's outwith the realms he'd take the job. His stock is low down the road & a Championship job is just as likely now. However, we'd make it even more unattractive than it already is. In addition to having little money & having to sell your best players, Lawwell & Park tell you your back room staff & what players are being signed.

Na, never a job for Moyes. We need a cheap, compliant Yes Man. We have the perfect man for the job just now.

Wim Jansen at Celtic was a bolt out the blue and he won the league stopping ten in a row. Interestingly his team accumulated less points than Burns had the previous two seasons. We were feckin honking that season only won 5 out of our last 11 I think.

You could also argue Souness to Rangers, although he was a very well known and respected figure across European football at the time.

I appreciate the majority of this forum won't recognise either as being too significant given the resources both had at their disposal.

Na, Moyes was an insane appointment IMO.

If he didn't remind SAF of himself & was born elsewhere, he'd never have been looked at. When Mourinho was available, it made it all the more absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I like Moyes & would love to see him at Celtic. I don't think it's outwith the realms he'd take the job. His stock is low down the road & a Championship job is just as likely now. However, we'd make it even more unattractive than it already is. In addition to having little money & having to sell your best players, Lawwell & Park tell you your back room staff & what players are being signed.

Na, never a job for Moyes. We need a cheap, compliant Yes Man. We have the perfect man for the job just now.

Exactly why Keane turned the job down, so he claims in his book.

Craig Brown being plucked from a nursing home to take over Motherwell was a bit of a strange one I suppose.

He did well, stabilised the team and built the platform for Stuart mccalls success, but left a sour taste with the way he left and the lies he told.